average ground

KillStone

Have about 3000+ acres,but you dont need near that to have a good variety of sport.I try to concentrate on deer ground,but i have some very good game shooting too.Only lack a pond now,as i lost the only one i had and thats a huge loss.You dont need all the ground in one place.Most of mine is spread within 12 miles of the house,so i have plenty of choice with a lot of the farms being less than a hundred acres.I also have about 800 semi hill with red,about 40miles away,and that is fine to get away for an all nighter with the foxes too.

I have roughly 20 thousand acres ranging from the downlands of lambourn which seems to hold more birds in the summer .

To the lowland of the thames valley and then across to some land on the cotwolds but not so much thatt way as the land is used more for game.

I have two very large arable farms which makes up a large percentage of my shooting rights .

The worst thing about that is if one is sold or goes bust you loss alot of shooting.

But I also have some very small places 5 or 10 acres as well I normally start with trying my luck with gaining ferreting rights and then move on to shooting .

You want if you can get it a diverse range for all times of the year and a range of crops while you have no rape growing you struggle in a average winter to see pigeons.

Regards

I have around 800 acres, mixture of pasture from the late dairy cows, good for bunnies, and the rest arable, rape, barley and wheat.

I have more to shoot on than I need as I'm the only shooter on the land, it hasn't been shot for as long as my other halfs dad who owns it can remember. The rabbit problem is incredible, but only noticed once they moved out of dairy to arable.

well sounds like you are all pretty lucky to have plenty of land but im guessing it didnt all come about from knocking on doors. am trying to find and get on some rape but with no luck yet but am not one to give mayb i will find some somewhere!!!!

Where abouts are you mate?

I have nothing......................nothing you hear nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm going mad as I have nothing..........................i need some land to shoot,a gent i know has 1000+ acres of mixed,he let me help him today on woods for 2 hours,heaven...........but i have nothing................GET the point,1 year shooting regularly,,approached all farms,I tell them I can shoot week days,fully insured etc etc etc,there are only a few owners for nearly all farmland around here,i go back every 5 months or so to re introduce myself,ask if they virmin problems etc......................NOTHING,I will keep trying.

I have nothing......................nothing you hear nothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm going mad as I have nothing..........................i need some land to shoot,a gent i know has 1000+ acres of mixed,he let me help him today on woods for 2 hours,heaven...........but i have nothing................GET the point,1 year shooting regularly,,approached all farms,I tell them I can shoot week days,fully insured etc etc etc,there are only a few owners for nearly all farmland around here,i go back every 5 months or so to re introduce myself,ask if they virmin problems etc......................NOTHING,I will keep trying.

Ah mate, I sympathise, I struggled for years until I met my other half and have shoe horned myself into a farming family, lucky ******. Do you just shoot shotgun? Reason I ask, the other small permissions I have are garden centers and one fruit farm controlling rabbits, I use sub fac air on those and they gave me the references to gain my other permissions.

This might be controversial but what about being really cheeky, asking one of the land owners if they'd exchange a bottle of wine/any services you can offer if you're a tradesman for a day shooting...then see what happens if you can get your foot in the door? Or ask who shoots on the land and ask for their contact details and see if you can work something out, but beware of the latter as many shooters are very protective of their permissions, as you've found out.

Good luck bud, don't give up.

Kyska ,thanks,i know i sound desperate but i'm a patient man,frustrating thing about the guy land today is we know the farmers wife quite well(well her sister mainly).but i thought he had a small holding,just a couple of acres so i didn't approach her,i can't now as i've been shown the land and would get burned at the stake if I "went behind this guy back"he was understandably reserved about me helping him again,i'll cross my fingers,but not hold my breath

Fella,the best way is to ask every farmer you can.I have approx 20 farms i get on,ranging from 50acres up to 600ish,and every one has been through knocking at the door.I once asked at this place which had just planted 100acres of trees,but the lad said he wasnt keen on shooting and they would try without it.I asked if i could leave my number as i had seen roe damaging the larch trees,and he said he would keep it.I used to drive past most mornings,and see loads of roe in the trees,and was gutted that i couldnt get on.Almost 3 years later i got a phone call,asking if i would shoot them as they were doing way too much damage.This year i had 6 bucks off it,one silver and one 10 pointer gold scoring 157.5 points,and all for the price of a bottle of whisky every xmas,and he doesnt even want that.Persevere,and you will get the rewards.I go round the farms at xmas with whisky and a box of biscuits,and most say there is no need for that,as they think i am doing them a favour.

I have found that the best way to find new land is find were pigeon are feeding, go to nearest farm & inquire who the land belongs to then approach the farmer & ask if he would let you have a day on them, if all goes well call back let them know how you got on & that you will keep your eye on it until crop stops getting damage. Drop names of farms you already shoot has they nearly all know each other. Once you have proved you are safe etc then the chance of full permission opens up. I have been shooting now for 30 years & have access to 1000's of acres, some as & when it suits me others only when crops are getting damaged, no matter how small the permission take it it all leads to more. Hope this helps

have found that the best way to find new land is find were pigeon are feeding, go to nearest farm & inquire who the land belongs to then approach the farmer & ask if he would let you have a day on them, if all goes well call back let them know how you got on & that you will keep your eye on it until crop stops getting damage. Drop names of farms you already shoot has they nearly all know each other.

That is the best advice you will get on here ref. obtaining permission

There must be dozens of farms I have shot just once or twice, if I see pigeon are back on the fields I can always ask again. Farmers are naturally wary of letting somebody have free reign over there land but as a one off on one partricular field with a problem are much easier to convince.