Beretta Ultralight

chris t

If funds will allow am thinking of trading in my 12G Browning 325 grade 5 30" for a beretta Ultralight 12G.

Have just weighed the browning and it's 3.5kg.

I did use it for pheasant shooting and found it (being a smallish 10.5 stone chap) far too heavy for me and by the end of the day felt exhausted and my back starting to ache.

It also seems to kick my shoulder to bits and I can't hit much with it.

So I started using dad's old S/S 12G Powell which was working for me much better 30" barrels and 3.1kg and doesn't seem to kick as bad. (still heavy enough though)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the beretta ultralights.

I basically want to be able to shoot well with it and not feel exhausted after carrying it around all day.

Must be a 12G as well.

Thanks in advance.

You save a couple of ounces in the gun and lose loads of reduction in recoil. I shot one a couple of weeks ago with 24 gramme clay loads and felt it kicked like a mule - My avatar is not me, but i am remarkably similar - With my build i rarely feel recoil (although i do feel and fear hunger). If you are going to shoot 50+ cartridges a day out of it, i would personally think again.

You save a couple of ounces in the gun and lose loads of reduction in recoil. I shot one a couple of weeks ago with 24 gramme clay loads and felt it kicked like a mule - My avatar is not me, but i am remarkably similar - With my build i rarely feel recoil (although i do feel and fear hunger). If you are going to shoot 50+ cartridges a day out of it, i would personally think again.

I would say this is a personal thing once again and that the amount of recoil is often down to carts used (could be a common perception i don't know) My brother has an ultralight deluxe and i have used it with 28/30g 6s on the pheasants and would say the recoil is not so bad. However i think the idea of not going much over 28g is not that bad an idea.

George

For my pheasant shooting I've recently been using express pigeon special 30g 6s fibre.

By all accounts they are quite a slow cartridge quoted @ 1375fps.

I bought them for my semi and pigeon shooting, but I've been told they haven't enough grunt to cycle my semi "they said use a 2 3/4 inch cartridge and not 2 1/2 inch"(it kept half chucking out about every 10th cartridge).

But used them in dad's old S/S Powell and they seem to be low on recoil and I shot quite well with them, some stuff I hit seemed miles away.

Thanks for your advice, might have to see if I can try one out somewhere, when I get the chance.

Have to say that I like the look of the SV10 beretta with the kick off, but I'm back up to 3.3kgs on the weight with that.

Chris

If a gun kicks like mule then it's not mounted properly and just may not fit you.

I'm 10.5 st and over that last couple of days have been shooting a 28" 3kg hammer gun with 30gloads on game and have done 75 clays using 24g loads. The recoil is not anymore noticeable than through my 30" 425 sporter.

If you just go out and buy a gun without it being propery checked for fit then you may well end up with a gun you can't shoot well with no matter how hard you try.

By all means shortlist a few guns you'd like but make sure they fit correctly before you buy. You may well need to incorporate trying a prospective gun or guns with a lesson in order to achieve this :blush:

This may seem like an expensive way to do it but trust me, it will pay for itself over and over in the long run.

Edit. just weighed my hammer gun and it's 2.6kg (5lb13)!

Edited by pigglet

I had a beretta ultalite and am very sorry I got rid of it. I used it for rough/walked up shooting and it was a pleasure to carry. I put 32g 7's and 30g 6's thru it and didn't find mich recoil. My uncle thought it kicked like a mule. My other uncle loved it. It is not suitable for clays/ducks or on a shoot.

If you do look at buying a new ultralight look at them very carefully i have looked at 4 all with marks on the barrels and GMK have had 2 batches in all with minor marks on them,if you read one of my previous posts you will see the problems ive been having,nearly sorted should be happy this week,will lt you know,

Good luck with whatever you choose,

regards Chris.

I have one, great gun especially for walking around with. I changed to it from a 686e and prefer the ultralight.

Not really had any problems with it kicking (I'm 5' 5" 10stone).

I would say if you run out of cartridges and take 250 32g 5's to clays and fire them non stop you do start to feel it!!! But 30g 6's on a busy driven day all day long with no problems!

Have been to my local gun shop (countryman derby) today and they were really nice in there as usual (family team). (couldn't recommend them enough).

They warned me that the ultralight might well kick a bit, but I tried it anyway and it IS light.

But then tried the SV10, which I liked but did 'feel' heavy for me.

Tried a silver pigeon 3 ltd and that did feel great.

Perhaps a little heavier than I would have liked but feels lighter than the SV10 and loads lighter than my old browning 325.

So bought the silver pigeon and am pleased, although the bank balance isn't quite so pleased :ninja:

Have to say though, for me the browning 325 did feel rather clumsy after trying the silver pigeon.

Afterwards they did said that they have been trying to sell the ultralight for awhile (it is a new one), but unfortunately convincted each customer that comes in looking for one against it.

He said perhaps I ought to keep my mouth shut and then I'll have it sold. :blush:

Anyway pheasant shooting on Friday, hopefully I'll get on with it OK.

Thanks for all your advice.

Chris

• 3 years later...

i have a ultralight and a browning 325 , the ultralight is a very light gun but has a bit of a kick , ok if you can put up with it , the browning has 32' barrels no kick at all , but a bit of a lump to carry around , i love them both , i was thinking about trading the ultralight in but after using it a bit more iam getting use to it , forgot to say ultralight has auto safe on and can be a pain if you forget to switch off , with being use to the browning

its a tough call mate , good luck

ad1699a1-133d-45f0-a975-f97c759835c1_zps

If a gun kicks like mule then it's not mounted properly and just may not fit you.

I'm 10.5 st and over that last couple of days have been shooting a 28" 3kg hammer gun with 30gloads on game and have done 75 clays using 24g loads. The recoil is not anymore noticeable than through my 30" 425 sporter.

If you just go out and buy a gun without it being propery checked for fit then you may well end up with a gun you can't shoot well with no matter how hard you try.

By all means shortlist a few guns you'd like but make sure they fit correctly before you buy. You may well need to incorporate trying a prospective gun or guns with a lesson in order to achieve this :good:

This may seem like an expensive way to do it but trust me, it will pay for itself over and over in the long run.

Edit. just weighed my hammer gun and it's 2.6kg (5lb13)!

"Ifa gun kicks like mule then it's not mounted properly and just may not fit you." - totally agree with this. I started shooting the 12bore when I was 11/12 and I was never ever bought 21g/24g cartridges. It was 28g or nothing, deal with it. I can tell you I have NEVER had a problem of hurting after a shoot and I shoot a fair bit! Every time I see fully grown men shooting these light loads I cringe inside... If 28g hurt that means you are clearly doing something wrong. Edited by Cawdor118

Every time I see fully grown men shooting these light loads I cringe inside...

If 28g hurt that means you are clearly doing something wrong.

No need to cringe(!) - I use 21g on clays because they are effective, cheap and lighter on me and the (light side by side) gun. I like them. On a pheasant day I use 30g equally happily and neither I or the gun suffers.

I agree that if 28g hurts, something is wrong - probably gun fit related.