PW Stop Smoking Group

Cosd

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I stopped in May last year, best thing i ever done had been smoking since i was about 14, i had tried patches and gum before without success but what made it stick this time was weighing up the things i enjoy doing like walking the fields with the dogs and carrying a large decoy bag and gun over the marsh and realised if i kept smoking i doubt i'd be fit enough to do it in 10 years time, have to say it was a sobering thought!!

Good read through these gave me the nudge to stop last Tuesday, went the cold turkey route. I haven't been smoking for long in comparison to a few of you fellas, year and a half ago when the work started piling up at Uni. Haven't picked the best time to stop with my accounting exams for the next 2 weeks, so revision has been painful, still it's my own fault.

One major factor for me was the NHS calculator Calculator, spending £1500 a year, and they give you an idea of how far the cash would get you... needless to say I saw the week cruise in the Caribbean for 2 and thought to myself how i've been throwing my money away.

Well done everybody.

Gibby

Squelchy, it isnt going to get any worse than you have it now. If you can stick it for 10 days you will have beaten the addiction. Stick it for a month and you will have beaten the habit.

If you've decided that it is something you no longer want to do then you'll walk it.

ZB

Squelchy, it isnt going to get any worse than you have it now. If you can stick it for 10 days you will have beaten the addiction. Stick it for a month and you will have beaten the habit.

If you've decided that it is something you no longer want to do then you'll walk it.

ZB

Cheers dude

Day 3, I'm quite pleased with this up to now. Should I expect it to get worse?

Yeah, maybe a bit, but dont be scared of it.

You'll cross a threshold between the addiction and the habit in about a week where you will want to murder everyone and everything. After that you will think you really ought to have one, but wont need to so much.

After a month you will want one every so often, but only in situations that "remind" you of it.

Wierdly, I keep dreaming I have a smoke, and then get annoyed with myself because I have stopped and so had no need to.

ZB

Sweepy always dreaming about smoking .His also have had some really strange dreams too. :hmm:

My Dad who gave it up 20 odd years ago. Said he still fancy a smoke.

And he used too love it when Sweepy came round. As he would stand outside with Sweepy .

And enjoy the aroma(for better word).

Dad always say he has no urge to lit up again.But he still enjoys the smell of one.

xxxSuzy

ZB

I don't always agree with some of your lines of thinking on the subject of Quitting Smoking Zap but the sentence I have highlighted is the crux of the matter in my opinion and one I TOTALLY AGREE with!

Maybe we have different ways of supporting and helping each other!

I'm giving serious consideration to quitting, but for me smoking is the lesser of two evils. I used to have a VERY short fuse, but when I started smoking I mellowed out quite considerably. My fear is that if I stop smoking my temper will come back. It's the only thing that keeps me smoking. I hate the smell/taste of cigs and the mental effects they have on you, but I really don't want to become angry again. What effects did quitting have on you all? Did it make you angry/grumpy? And if so, for how long after you quit?

I'm giving serious consideration to quitting, but for me smoking is the lesser of two evils. I used to have a VERY short fuse, but when I started smoking I mellowed out quite considerably. My fear is that if I stop smoking my temper will come back. It's the only thing that keeps me smoking. I hate the smell/taste of cigs and the mental effects they have on you, but I really don't want to become angry again. What effects did quitting have on you all? Did it make you angry/grumpy? And if so, for how long after you quit?

Dancake, Fortunately quitting smoking has not effected me in this was, mind you I had "fairly controlled attitude" before I quit. If anything though now I am even happier because I keep hold of the fact that I managed to beat a habbit that was slowly killing me, that's a very satisfying feeling you know!

I was "very quick tempered" and "moody" until about 8 years ago, which was nothing to do with smoking or not smoking, but I learned to control my "general attitude and manerism" in other ways!

I can understand your concerns but if you don't try how are you going to know the answer, you never know, you might have learned to control your " short fuse" already and the smoking is nothing to do with it!

I doubt if this helps to answer your question properly and hope that another of the "ex-smokers" or "current quitters" on PW can help you! One thing that you can count on is that if you do decide to try quitting there will be people here who will be happy to help and support you!

Good Luck Dancake! :unsure:

No cravings which is cool,i feel fine but i know my body is stressing cos im chewing on the inside of my lips.

And you don't know how much you stink of smoke untill you stop.

Anyway i'll keep ya up dated. How is everyone else doing?

Sqwelchy, why not try getting some sugar free gum or some boiled sweets to suck? (I perfer the sugar free gum myself) It is not too uncommon to be "stressing" at the stage that you are at, this is because the nicotine receptors in your brain are rebelling" against the fact that you are not feeding them any more. Stick with it mate, it will get easier!

Edited by Frenchieboy

21 days today and 1 day before my 44th birthday, and it has got much easier. I still have my moments but the regularity is having bigger intervals.

I am still moody/grumpy, but again I think this is fading as well, my wife may beg to differ on this one, but I generally feel better mood wise.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to control my eating habits, and though I haven't put on any weight, I haven't managed to shift any either. I tried to make an effort to stop eating **** between meals but it didn't last long.

Maybe doing the fag quitting and the cutting down on food is a bit much to do at the same time, not physically but mentally; Or maybe it's just me being weak minded?

Either way, no fags for three weeks, and I am still determined not to start up again!

Keep it up all of you who are doing the same, and lets see more of you guys join us in giving up!!!! In months to come we can extend this thread to "look what I bought with the money I saved by quitting smoking" :unsure:

Edited by Cosd

alright lads, i've been watching this thread with interest and am pleased to say that if i get through today, i will have gone a full week without smoking. I never thought i'd be able to do it and have suprised myself. I'm not saying it's been easy, but on the other hand, it's not been nearly as hard as i'd imagined. I've not had to use patches or other nicotene releasing items (yet!). Anyway good luck to all, keep it up,cheers jon

alright lads, i've been watching this thread with interest and am pleased to say that if i get through today, i will have gone a full week without smoking. I never thought i'd be able to do it and have suprised myself. I'm not saying it's been easy, but on the other hand, it's not been nearly as hard as i'd imagined. I've not had to use patches or other nicotene releasing items (yet!). Anyway good luck to all, keep it up,cheers jon

Welcome aboard Jonboy, good luck with giving up mate!

Where you been, haven't seen you post in a while!

still been about mate, i used to post during the day when it was not busy with my crane on site, but i changed sites in november and have been up to my neck in it and not had time to post. Even if i don't post i do look in most days to see what's going on, cheers jon

Cosd, it's not so easy trying the no smoking thing and the weight watching at the same time. This is one of the things that concerned me when I was quitting. What I did was to decide which was the "lesser of the two evils" which was the weight issue so I concentrated my efforts on the non smoking as that was doing me more damage than the weight, in the knowledge that I would be in a better position health wise to work on the weight issue after!

Good luck with your efforts all of you, and keep it up, you're doing well!

Edited by Frenchieboy