Review your year

paulos

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit best form about 3 to 4 months ago, but then hit the "don't really care" period which I am still in; clay shooting just got a bit samey and the fun went out of it.

Dunno what to do about it - either forget the scores and shoot SBS and pump action for fun or get uber competitive again and start chasing scores and doing a few more grounds. To do that, I think I would need a plan and a purpose - like joining the CPSA again and chasing going up a class :yes:

Mind you, I know I can out shoot PDL and MC any day of the week when I choose to, but of course the real challenge would be beating someone like Cat, but that's not going to happen without some serious head readjustment; focus, concentration and tuning out any distractions ;)

Joining the CPSA again :hmm: I bet it was difficult pressing the keys to type that :good:

Personally shooting got samey for me aswell, But adding the element of competition gave it abit more purpose. and I has abit of adrenaline to it that sharpened me up abit. Aiming for A class this year is going to be difficult but doable, but its an aim which I'm looking forward to having a crack at.

Strange really because I have found myself doing a sport where sometimes the people infront and behind me are probably the best shooters in the world

Well the world of comp clay shooting anyway

(Chard will be along shortly to say it's normally him :oops: it is'nt...but one day maybe :hmm::P )

Join the CPSA and get a blue competition card, you know it makes sense. :good:

Joining the CPSA again :yes: I bet it was difficult pressing the keys to type that :good:

Personally shooting got samey for me aswell, But adding the element of competition gave it abit more purpose. and I has abit of adrenaline to it that sharpened me up abit. Aiming for A class this year is going to be difficult but doable, but its an aim which I'm looking forward to having a crack at.

Strange really because I have found myself doing a sport where sometimes the people infront and behind me are probably the best shooters in the world

Well the world of comp clay shooting anyway

(Chard will be along shortly to say it's normally him :oops: it is'nt...but one day maybe :hmm::hmm: )

Join the CPSA and get a blue competition card, you know it makes sense. :good:

No its me and jay ;)

Hit best form about 3 to 4 months ago, but then hit the "don't really care" period which I am still in; clay shooting just got a bit samey and the fun went out of it.

In my experience you need to go somewhere or shoot something completely different, or just walk away from from clays it for a little while.

Although I am, and probably always will be "don't really care" clay shooter I now enjoy my half a dozen or so trips out a year a lot more than when we used to blat round to Caterham and shoot it twice, just for the hell of it.

I am not saying you can't shoot a lot and enjoy it, but to me it sounds like you need to mix it up a bit.

In my experience you need to go somewhere or shoot something completely different, or just walk away from from clays it for a little while.

Although I am, and probably always will be "don't really care" clay shooter I now enjoy my half a dozen or so trips out a year a lot more than when we used to blat round to Caterham and shoot it twice, just for the hell of it.

I am not saying you can't shoot a lot and enjoy it, but to me it sounds like you need to mix it up a bit.

I think it's because, long-term, clay shooting needs to be competitive. It's a competitive sport and whilst going and having a craic with the same lads is good, after a while it is bound to get samey. If I'd have just carried on club shooting each week, I think I'd be fed up with it now. I wouldn't have quit, but I'd be going less and less. Whilst Mung detests the CPSA, and I can understand that, I think membership and participation in competition would revive interest in the sport.

I often hear game shooters saying that they don't mind an occasional go on the clays, but they would get bored with it after a while. That's because they're not competitive people. If it was just a case of seeing if you can break a few, then it would get boring for anybody, but if you introduce the competitive element, it brings a whole new dimension to the thing (assuming that you are competitive).

Mung's problem would be that it would involve lots more travelling, due to the rather strange shortage of registered grounds in Essex, which I have never understood :yes:

Bit of a mixed year for me really, Highlight of my year was shooting my personal best at Hodnets police charity shoot, 93 x 100, The shoot was won with a 94, so i was over the moon with my score!, my lowest point was the trip to france ( shooting ability wise, loved the trip though, got to spend some quality time with me Dad) where i shot a 130 (think) x 200,

My shooting has been consistent in the 80's pretty much all year, bringing me into AA class, just wish now I had the money to step it up a gear and get in the 90's a lot more!

Started using Eley olympics/Blues in size 8 for everything, Well Superbs 7.5's for those rangey targets,

All in all a good year shooting, only shot between 1500 and 2000 carts but happyish with my performance!!

:yes:

Already ahead on you on that Chard, I already do!!! :hmm:

So if he comes on here and writes a review of his year, it'll read :

"Shot about 250,000 cartridges, mostly Eley Olympics/Blues, plus 25,000 Superbs for those rangey targets. I seem to have been very busy this year :hmm: "

:yes:

ha ha ha, That pretty much sums it up for him!! He needs to add "The Boy beat me again" to the majority of the shoots!! With the exception of France, where I let him win!! :yes:

He does that anyway. He told me he's going to have "The boy beat me again" for his forum signature :hmm:

Dunno what to do about it - either forget the scores and shoot SBS and pump action for fun or get uber competitive again and start chasing scores and doing a few more grounds. To do that, I think I would need a plan and a purpose - like joining the CPSA again and chasing going up a class ???

Mind you, I know I can out shoot PDL and MC any day of the week when I choose to, but of course the real challenge would be beating someone like Cat, but that's not going to happen without some serious head readjustment; focus, concentration and tuning out any distractions ???

Hmmm.... :hmm: ......I diagnose a classic case of "Clay Shooting Mid Life Crisis", you've been there, worn the tee shirt at the Biff shoots and it's all becoming a tad too "samey".

You're no longer getting much pleasure from wielding the pump like Charles Bronson in front of those cammo clad, cartridge belt wearing newbies and watching them gasp in amazement at the balls of dust hanging in the sky. :hmm:

Unfortunately the only real cure is to move up a league and be really challenged by shooting regularly those targets of the quality that you would find at the Essex Masters, or indeed a competition at High Lodge.

The snag is, that involves a lot of travelling, there are hardly any grounds of that calibre in Essex, (nor Herts). The weather at the moment is c rap for pigeons, so tomorrow I'll probably go to 4 Counties SG near Newbury, Berks, that's a round trip of 142 miles with nearly 3 hours spent in the car, and I regard that ground as one of my "locals". :yes:

I suppose it's a case of "No Pain, No Gain"..?? ???

Cat.

In 2009 I shot clays a lot less and I spent more time with my sons. I did this purposely and I feel better all round for doing it.

My shooting has suffered because I do it less, but when I do shoot clays now I enjoy it a lot more. It is also good knowing that the "up and coming competitive shots" of the Essex Mafia are looking past my scores and nipping at other peoples heels. I enjoyed seeing Chard, Anni and the Magteam at Doveridge and intend to let them beat me again in 2010. :yes: Had a good laugh with the Essex boys last year and look forward to more laughs this year. :hmm:

I wont be doing any of the big clays comps this year as I have the concentration of a goldfish and dont find them enjoyable - besides the CPSA is for gaylords.

I intend to join the game syndicate again next season and to do more game shooting next season than I did this season.

I had a great day on the pigeons with MC in September and want to do more pigeon shooting this year. :hmm:

I have got my FAC through and look forward to a spring / summer of bunny bashing in the new redneck shooting wagon.

Well my shooting hasn't improved drastically (only been at it for a year and I work most Sundays) but I do have a gun that I'm comfortable with and have put about 1,250 cartridges through it. On the positive side I have met a new bunch of great guys at my strawbale shoot, we shoot for fun but do give mutual help and congratulations. I have also found this site which I enjoy a great deal, thanks all.

2010? Start taking it a bit more seriously & pay to shoot mid-week at practice grounds, thankfully a couple of my pals are semi retired. But never forgetting that its FUN.

Dunno what to do about it - either forget the scores and shoot SBS and pump action for fun or get uber competitive again and start chasing scores and doing a few more grounds. To do that, I think I would need a plan and a purpose - like joining the CPSA again and chasing going up a class :yes:

Mind you, I know I can out shoot PDL and MC any day of the week when I choose to, but of course the real challenge would be beating someone like Cat, but that's not going to happen without some serious head readjustment; focus, concentration and tuning out any distractions :lol:

What you need Andy is to bunk off work one day in the new year and sneak over to the Fennes for another round of the Essex Pumpathon. It worked for me last time I was felling like you and clay shooting became a chore rather than enjoyment.

You have almost become as bad as Cat with that statement :sly::good: :good:

Already ahead on you on that Chard, I already do!!! :yes:

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Just got back from the late nite B&Q for a stainless steel, 19 lever, tungsten hardened, Crimewatch approved PADLOCK. That's the end of that little scam.

Well this thread made me do something I've never really done before, review my shooting year. For the last few years I have bought a diary and I jot down all my shooting and my score. That's it really certainly not a work of literary merit, just the odd comment (usually along the lines of "shot **** again" :rolleyes::lol:

The raw stats are quite easy to collate, shot just under 8,000 cartridges nearly all from the Eley range, mostly Superb 8's but will be switching to Blues when the current stock has either been fired or stolen!!! This is the bit I wasn't looking forward to, the cost (if anyone shows this to her indoors they better know a reliable undertaker) the carts will add up to about £1,200.

Travel, just had a quick reakon up and bearing in mind I had two trips to France (Euro FITASC & World Compak) I drove about 8,000 miles which, with diesel at £4.75 a gallon, gives a bill of about £1,600.

At this point I deceided not to even start totting up my entry fees - what I don't know can't hurt me right!!

Performance, This is a funny subject (peculiar not ha ha), looking at my scores from 2008 I have shot slightly better but I am still marooned in A class, too many scores in the mid to high 70's, not enough in the mid to high 80's.

High point - probably my 167 at the World Compak or possibly my 85 at the N v S PW comp at Grimsthorpe.

Low point was a couple of scores in the mid 60's through the year and the boy's disappointment when he shot waaay below his capability in France.

Another high, as mentioned by a few others, was meeting up with fellow PWers and thoroughly enjoying their company :lol: :yp: :good:

Not had a very productive pigeon & game shooting year, have shot no more than about 70 or 80 pigeons, a few pheasants & ducks, all with the 20 bore, I've not kept a proper total which I must do this year and I've probably shot about 250/300 20b carts (Eley VIP 28g 5's & a few non toxic for the ducks)

My usual response to the question " How have you got on today" is about 25% of the time unpublishable(the site does have a swear filter!) and the remaining 75% is a word that my mate hates me using but I know what I mean "Respectable"

Am looking forward to 2010, I want to shoot some of the "bigger" shoots but it makes my blood boil with the CPSA cost of the English & British Open C/ships but thats probably a thread for the dark side.

Good and safe shooting to all.

Mr Potter

A bit late posting on here but my year was a mixed bag.

The highs were that I went to quite a few new grounds, met some great new people, shot a 95 x 100 & made it into cpsa A class with some good consistent results. The last half of the year I had a bit of a dip returning me back to B class & some mediocre results but hopefully this was more to do with outside influences than anything else.

Not shot for a bit due to work, home, a plethora of weddings, christenings & hangovers.

Cannot wait to get back to shooting more regularly this year now that things have calmed down a bit.

But on the face of it the highs outweighed the lows :good: