Review your year

paulos

Following on from PDLM's thread 1 year ago today, what has everybody done this year?

My achievements this year are:

Winning A class at a few registered skeet shoots.

Qualifying for the North of England Skeet Team with 290/300.

Winning the Regional Team event at the British Open Skeet.

Getting into AA class for skeet (Then dropping straight back down to A :lol: )

Winning some cash in A class at a few registered sporting shoots. (Won A class at an England Selection Shoot :good: )

Shot three 90+ scores at registered sporting shoots (shots tons more duff ones though :good: )

No idea how many shells I have used, but not as many as last year. Used Eley VIP no 8's most of the time but now tend to just use whatever I can get my hands on.

New grounds visited: Grange Farm, Kibworth, Kingsley Moor, Shugborough, Sporting Targets, EJ Churchills, High Lodge and Braidwood.

A fun year but won't be doing anywhere near as much next year.

ps. Edited due to my awful maths.

Edited by paulos

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've taken advice and broken away from club shooting, started shooting registered competition at new grounds.

New grounds visited this year :

Shugborough

Hepworth Hall

Southdown

Kingsley Moor

Doveridge

Hodnet

Mid Wales SG

Coniston

Blackpool

Grimsthorpe

Llandegla

Kegworth

Achievements - **** all :lol::lol::good:

Ditched my CPSA Clubman membership and got a go-faster turbo bitchmutha Blue Card :good:

Got myself a CPSA classification (******* B Class) :good:

Shot about 6500 shells or thereabouts :good:

Edited by Chard

Good thread Paulos :good:

2009 saw my try my hand at Registered Shooting; starting off with a baptism of fire at Southdown in April in the company of Cat and Martin Papworth shooting a lowly 44 :lol:

Shot in C Class for 6 months, earning a few pennies along the way, but thanks to a steep learning curve now reside in A class and have no plans of relinquishing that status without a fight :good: Enjoyed shooting the British Open at High Lodge this year and happy to have made the trip to Coniston, Kingsley Moor, Shugborough and most recently Hodnet this year.

Aside from that I've won the Samantha Memorial Shield at Worsley earlier this year and made into the final 4 of the members knockout competition, shooting against some tough opponents along the way so a very worthwhile experience in my book :good:

Got to try my hand at pheasant shooting in early December and appreciate how different game shooting is in comparison to the clays :good:

As for cartridges shot; probably in excess of 10,000. Mainly Express Pro Comps and Super Comps but recently switched to Proper Little Devils and not disappointed so far :lol:

As for 2010; time for more of the same and working on that AA status ;)

New grounds I have been to this year have been,

Worsley

Caterham,

Dartford,

3 Acres

Orions gun club

Achievements have been,

High gun (out of 6 highest scores) at both my local clubs (AAA class at Tollesbury and A class at B Bell)

Winning the pairs at the Baeckingham Bell club with Paul Hughes

Winnning the Eastern Sporting Shield At the B Bell club

I have probably shot about 6000 cartridges at clays with the majority being Express Pro Comp.

Shooting for Essex at Full Bore Target Rifle at 300, 500, 600, 900 and 1000 yards and getting my tighest ever group which was 10 shots within the V Bull at 500 yards (About 3.3")

Next year I plan to do some registered shooting albeit mainly all round at a local ground.

EDIT,

I forgot the most important one as well,

I have beaten the mighty Mungler on our last two meetings out. Perhaps he has lost his edge

Edited by MC

Started shooting just over a year ago now

Grounds visited

JJ's

Hawley

Southdown

Grimsthorpe

Dartford

Court Farm

Gatton Bottom

Caterham

Keston

Dartford

Gatwick

Kingsferry

West Kent

Northall

High Lodge

Picked up a couple of brown envelopes in C class earlier in the year at Caterham and Gatton Bottom plus about 500 carts.

5 straights (Skeet) - hope for 50 straight next year

Moved to B class in November (just) and done about 15,000 carts ths year

Hoping to reach A class before the end of next year and plan to do Essex Masters and UK Grand Masters this years

Edited by Bigweed

But have made some good friends this year and gave most a day out on the pigeons ,just to show them the other side :good:

A very good point :lol:

A great year for making new friends, many of them from PW.

And thanks to Rob, I had my first day shooting live quarry, a day on the pigeons with the Maglads.

Not sure whether that ranks as an achievement, because I missed more than I hit :good: but a great day none the less. :lol:

Well this year:

Jan - Applied for SGC

March - Had 3 lessons at EJ Churchill

June - got my SGC & first shotgun

July - Started missing lots regularly

Aug - Met up with PDLM & Markio and changed a few things gun fit and mount wise.

Sept\Oct, shot sporting and skeet and started missing less, relaxing more and enjoying not being green anymore and starting to be able to help newbies a little...

Oct - Had a session with a coach at Bisley to try and figure out why i couldn't hit crossers and get beyond 15 at skeet.... he spotted I have cross dominance in 5 minutes and helped fix it, despite all at EJ Churchills missing it.

Nov - Hit more clays, left less to grow bigger for next time

Dec - Joined the CPSA, increased my norm to 19\20 on the skeet and a new PB of 21, shot my first skeet registered and didn't come last on a 70:)

Grounds visited:

EJ Churchill

Bisley Shooting Ground

Essex Shooting Ground

NCSC Bisley (Member)

DYC Clays, Denham

AC Sporting Targets

BCA Maidenhead

Pretty boring compared to the above but we have to start somewhere :good:

Best part was meeting some great guys on here, look forward to shooting with you all next year both south and north as i'm heading back to Staffs\Cheshire next year :good:

Jon.

Edited by JonD

A busy year for me this year. This is year 2 for me.

I used roughly 9,000 cartridges.

I progressed from CPSA Class C to B, though it would have been A if I hadn't had purposely engineered a Class B result :lol: There's sandbagging to be done.

I took part in all the major competitions, and did absolutely poorly in all of them, worse than in year 1 actually. :lol::lol:

Visited 12 new grounds, taking my total visited to 31 so far.

Had coaching from Ben Husthwaite.

Have won quite a bit of cash at Caterham, Barrow Heath, Southdown and Court Farm (approx £500). Have won class and cartridges from JJ's and Shrove Hill.

Best registered results are 86/100 at Barrow Heath and 91/120 at Southdown. Quite an upturn in form over the last three months, though still have the uncanny abililty to totally misread some targets and/or miss all targets on a stand for other brain related reasons, ruining good cards.

Tried Registered Skeet and fully expected a AA classification, but assumed that 100 birds would be the same as 4 seperate rounds of practice on seperate days. It isn't. Have shot Skeet straight twice in practice, but got a shocking 89/100 in my only Registered shoot and a Class C. Will probably try again next year.

Will get classifications in DTL probably, and see if I can upgrade my A classification in All Round to AA.

Will take part in all the majors again, and there'd better be vast improvement over the last two years, or else. :oops:

Shot at stuff, again.

Started at a new hay bale club earlier in the year and was made most welcome and had a good laugh there. Sounds like nothing but that's my game/hobby and it was another bunch to make all the more enjoyable.

NOT TO FORGET, the guys i've met from here that i've continued to shoot with (both clays and in the field, you know who you are) and have been a top bunch and folks i now regard as good mates. Feel the love. :lol:

Happy new year, and long may it continue. :oops:

I have shot around 10,000 cartridges this year. Started on my old favourite RC3's and RC1's, then onto VIP's and various other stuff for a short time. Favourite cartridge is now the Clever Mirages t4's, but I use the cheaper T2's for practice. I have bought a bulk load now, so will shoot most of next year using mirage.. lovely light recoiling shell.

Shot my first british selection shoot s on the OT this year and really enjoyed it. Did the welsh qualifiers too for ABT and OT, and again really enjoyed it.

July saw the introduction of proper disabled classes at the Fitasc Universal trap world championships... thankfully at southern counties this year. I was apprehensive about entering such a big comp, but thought what the hell! Managed to take the silver medal in the 'handisport seated' class so was worth it in the end!

Changed from the Dt10 to a perazzi mx2000 mid august. As much as I like the DT10, i was still struggling with a inconsistent mount after over 12 months of having it, and decided I wanted something with lighter barrels too. My first brand spanker!! Wasnt expected to do any good for a few months untill I got used to it, but shot the UT British GP at Nuthampstead a couple of weeks later and ended up winning the Seated class by 23 targets! Just wish I had bought the perazzi before the world champs now!!!

Got into the Powys ABT team at the first attempt in september, had a 3rd and 5th place in the two qualifiers. Shot the intercounties for the first time at South Wales 2000. Was good fun.

Would like to have another bash at the UT World champs 2010, but will have to see how my budget holds out!

Grounds shot at in 2009:

Griffin Lloyd (a lot!!)

South wales 2000

Mid wales

Southern counties

East Yorkshire Gun Club

Nuthampstead

Happy new year everyone! :oops:

Edited by SidneyG

Hit best form about 3 to 4 months ago, but then hit the "don't really care" period which I am still in; clay shooting just got a bit samey and the fun went out of it.

Dunno what to do about it - either forget the scores and shoot SBS and pump action for fun or get uber competitive again and start chasing scores and doing a few more grounds. To do that, I think I would need a plan and a purpose - like joining the CPSA again and chasing going up a class :oops:

Mind you, I know I can out shoot PDL and MC any day of the week when I choose to, but of course the real challenge would be beating someone like Cat, but that's not going to happen without some serious head readjustment; focus, concentration and tuning out any distractions :good: