Shooting sticks for lamping foxes

Jimmer

I'm struggleing shooting foxes when my bipod runs out of adjustment or when i'm lying down and there isn't enough back drop for a safe shot. I imagine this is a problem for most shooters. I can shoot quite confidently out to about 100 yards standing but any further and i'm never confident enough to get a steady aim and pull the trigger. Shooting from sticks must be the only option i think, with 1,2 and 3 legged versions out there i wondered what most people got on with. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Aluminium core - 6' Garden canes - ~£6?

1356574.jpg

You want the Green ones

3-4 inch piece of old innertube - free?

Pair of bike handlebar grips (optional) - ~£5?

Makes for a fantastic, and cheap pair of stalking sticks... I have no trouble shooting my .223 from them :oops:

I use 3 sticks for my stalked deer work...I adjust them, and keep them ready so I can throw them out with one hand when that buck walks out :good:

But, my son totaly hates shooting sticks, you must practice with them a little, to get reasonably good with them, the trick is to have the sticks under as far forward on the rifle as possible.

If you are having trouble with the fox moving on, it is possible to squeak or cough at the fox to stop them, but be following them in the scope :oops:

Steve

1356574.jpg

You want the Green ones

Makes for a fantastic, and cheap pair of stalking sticks... I have no trouble shooting my .223 from them :good:

what a cracking idea :lol:

Les :P

Wotcha All

I second garyb and the green plastic coated 1.8m garden canes a la B&Q and as used by FC Rangers (in tripod version).

Wrap 1/2" strip of old inner tube around for about 9" from the top (or to suit) and close off/seal with pvc tape. (I have tried self amalgamating tape as an alternative but this soon sticks to itself on the other pole - maybe talc powder/chalk would dissuade this?)

Aquire vacuum/hoover belt from hardware store, double up and roll down to lower edge of wrapped inner tubing.

For a total of <£5 you have a light weight pair of shooting sticks that provide a non-slip 'grip' for the fore-end of the rifle, that are quiet to open/set, weather resistant and non metallic for some sound deadening when clipped by branches etc.

Have used mine now for many years - cheap to replace if lost/left anywhere without feeling 'attached'.

Only down side is that unlike equivalent oak poles/sticks cant be used to string a Roe (may cope with a Muntjac tho') between 2 people and probably not for 'heavy duty work'.

If I can work out how 2 get a picture up will try to do so.......

Regards

• 7 years later...

1356574.jpg

You want the Green ones

Makes for a fantastic, and cheap pair of stalking sticks... I have no trouble shooting my .223 from them good.gif

hello, as above although i use 5 ft ones, had a top leather yoke made by Lin, use a CZ 455 L/R 22 and night vision/ day scope, with the sticks makes a perfect addition to shooting