Serious roadkill question

Toombsy

I have just returned from roost shooting again. Only yards away from where I was stood yesterday I found a dead muntjac.

It's near perfect apart from some bleeding from the back end. None of the legs are broken and the chest cavity seems intact.

It's definitely not been shot - my guess it was hit on the road a few 100 yards away and made its way into the wood and must have died through shock or internal damage.

Seems an awful waste, especially as my freezer's got plenty of space, so what do you think?

Would it be worth me preparing it for the table bearing in mind it wasn't a clean kill?

And if so, is there a step-by-step process on the web. The link on this site still doesn't work and I can't find another.

Thanks for any help :blink:

WHO WOULD EAT SOMETHING THEY FOUND DEAD?

HOW HUNGRY ARE YOU?

It's less than 22 hours dead, and last night it was frezzing cold, so I saw an opportunity as I've onyl ever had deer once :blink:

But having checked out the link kindly provided earlier, I'm having second thoughts :good:

if a vets injected it they are not allowed to leave em by the road side unattended.

give it to the dogs is all i would do with it.

Vets responsibility lies with relieving animal suffering. It is then usual to report the carcase to the local councils highways department who are then responsible for removing the body. Can't stick a bloody great deer in the car with all the other gear!

How do you suggest a vet gets rid of a large deer?

Vets responsibility lies with relieving animal suffering. It is then usual to report the carcase to the local councils highways department who are then responsible for removing the body. Can't stick a bloody great deer in the car with all the other gear!

How do you suggest a vet gets rid of a large deer?

I dont remember saying is was the vets job to get rid of it.

Take it home, prepare it and send some of it round to your ex-missus Toombsy. If she lives then I say the rest is OK to eat :blink:

P.S. has she got big hooters ? :good:

Now that's the thinking of a genius.

And the answer was yes. Massive. They had their own gravitational pull. :good:

Now that's the thinking of a genius.

And the answer was yes. Massive. They had their own gravitational pull. :blink:

Cool, can you PM me some "in the flesh pictures" now before you make her ill with roadkill :good:

Well - thanks for all your help :good:

Damn waste but me thinks I'll take it back, open it up and leave it for the foxes.

But I'll be removing the skull first, burying it in a safe place, let the bugs strip it and collect it after the summer to show the kids cos they were fascinated with the rabbit skull I found :good:

Also bear in mind that with the weather as it is, the beasties are struggling to find food at the moment so I wouldn't expect a good supply like that to be around long, suggesting it has died fairly recently to you finding it.

I would take it, but its your choice at the end of the day.

Edited by 955i

I live near enough mate, Ramsey, if you don't want it I'll have it.

I've eaten two roadkill Munties before christmas. One stalked at Christmas and we've just finished a roadkill cock pheasant.

Just butcher it and fill yer boots mate it will be luverly.

Hoi sin & five spice marinade, gas mk5 1.5 hrs. or Waitrose plum and ginger marinade. mmmm yum :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by KFC