Sickly young roebuck

sako751sg

post-18885-1262970527.jpg post-18885-1262970564.jpg

post-18885-1262970583.jpg post-18885-1262970599.jpg

post-18885-1262970616.jpg post-18885-1262970544.jpg

Driving along and i noticed this wee buck feeding in a park of neaps about 20 yards from the roadside.Ive seen him with the doe and his sister for a while,but it looks like his days are numbered.He seems to be deformed around the mouth and head and with all the snow its maybe making it hard to find decent scoff.I videoed and walked within touching distance,but the vid didnt come out,so i took pics right up to him.When he stood up he walked about 5 yards and then started plucking the greenery that was above the snow.I will check on him in the morning and if no change will put him out of his misery.Its about half a mile from block woodland and without his ma he will struggle.

Personally i go and shoot it asap, even if it means lamping it.

Only my opinion though...

Sam,totally agree with that being the best option.However,i value my tickets more than to risk getting caught breaking the law.I would have done it there if i had the rifle,but it would have been at least an hour round journey and as can be seen by the sun,light was fading fast.

Sam,totally agree with that being the best option.However,i value my tickets more than to risk getting caught breaking the law.I would have done it there if i had the rifle,but it would have been at least an hour round journey and as can be seen by the sun,light was fading fast.

I have heard of people using a large stick to put a deer down. Especially as a policeman will arrest you for shooting one at the roadside with your shotgun even if its mortally wounded, as its still discharging a shotgun in a public place.

Having no idea of how tough deer are, what are your thoughts on that method? :good:

I have heard of people using a large stick to put a deer down. Especially as a policeman will arrest you for shooting one at the roadside with your shotgun even if its mortally wounded, as its still discharging a shotgun in a public place.

Having no idea of how tough deer are, what are your thoughts on that method? :good:

Libs if you are asking me,im not sure about a large stick,but when i was young,only 39 now so not that long ago :lol: ,i knew a lad that used to snare loads of roe.His method of the coup de grace was the back side of an axe.Usually one hit was enough,and although its not a method that should be used often,for a last resort it does the trick.Like most things,blunt force trauma to the head has devestating results.We can put our names to the police here,and if there is an injured deer reported they will phone and ask you to attend and put the beast out of its misery.

Libs if you are asking me,im not sure about a large stick,but when i was young,only 39 now so not that long ago :good: ,i knew a lad that used to snare loads of roe.His method of the coup de grace was the back side of an axe.Usually one hit was enough,and although its not a method that should be used often,for a last resort it does the trick.Like most things,blunt force trauma to the head has devestating results.We can put our names to the police here,and if there is an injured deer reported they will phone and ask you to attend and put the beast out of its misery.

I guess if you hit anything hard enough in the right place its going to do the trick... I only mentioned the road-side argument as I know of a fella who pulled over at an accedent where a car had hit something (oncoming car/tree/hedge -not sure really) swerving a deer, which it had clipped. The deer was said to be lying where it fell breathing, eyes open but not moving very much. The fella in question saw the deer, pulled over and said to the police on the scene that he a gun with him returing from a shoot and that he would be more than happy to put the poor thing down.

The officer replied that the RSPCA have been called and will send someone when they can. He, being a country man who respected animals, said thats not good enough, help me drag it to the ditch and I will shoot it. They told him that he could if he wanted, and they would not stop him, but he would then be arrested for 'discharging a shotgun in a public place.' So obviously he drove on. Maybe a bit more education/discretion from the police needed??

Don't mess about with sticks blink.gif

If it's that sick put a knife behind its shoulder

Don't belive that bull **** above, if you are going to use a knife on it there are two ways to kill a deer with a knife. First the one recommended by BDS is to cut its throat both cutting the windpipe and main juggler veins, the second you have to know what you are doing, is to put the knife in the axle joint and do a sideward movement to sever vital parts but in your case I would suggest ie shooting or cut its throat. Cheers, Martin.

haha mytutor last year picked one up by the side of the road bopped it on the head and he put it in his l200 10 mins later it sat up in the back and was looking around haha so he got out and wacked it again lmao :blush:

your tutor's a *** haha lmao haha

Please go and shoot it tomorrow....

If it survives tonight without starving or freezing to death try and give it a dignified end with a bullet.

Im not sure whether you 'd have been breaking any laws shooting it at night on compassion grounds.

Try explaining to the cops when you are caught with lamped roe that you commited the act on compassionate ground and im afraid that just wouldnt rub with them.

The buck was dead this morning when i went to check,and the weather is starting to affect all our wildlife.

Don't belive that bull **** above, if you are going to use a knife on it there are two ways to kill a deer with a knife. First the one recommended by BDS is to cut its throat both cutting the windpipe and main juggler veins, the second you have to know what you are doing, is to put the knife in the axle joint and do a sideward movement to sever vital parts but in your case I would suggest ie shooting or cut its throat. Cheers, Martin.

Actually, American hunters kill hogs and sometimes "Boar" all the time with knives, actually it does kill very quickly, same palcement as with a broadside shot, but the knife has to be at least something like 7.5 or 8" long, and they just drive it behind the shoulder or beihnd the first rib :good:

Steve

It`s the top or second top most vertebrae, that hold the head to the spine, called from top downward, atlas and axis vertebrae. It is extremely difficult to find if the deer is mobile and the cutting of the throat is better, if you can immobilise the deer ( I still have the scars from one that wasn`t as immobile as we thought !).

It`s the top or second top most vertebrae, that hold the head to the spine, called from top downward, atlas and axis vertebrae. It is extremely difficult to find if the deer is mobile and the cutting of the throat is better, if you can immobilise the deer ( I still have the scars from one that wasn`t as immobile as we thought !).

Spot on Henry.It is hard to find but i de head my beasts there and it is quite easy to pick up,although with a lively beast it can be a handful.I have put about half a dozen down by this method,and i find it the better option if confident enough.I see someone posted that a knife between the shoulder blades does the trick but i think i will give that one a miss.