What happens if you see this whilst out lamping?

SSS

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I beleive they are in the UK and for me, if I was out lamping and saw one I would feel priveledged to have seen it and in the unlikely event I thought it was too close to me one shout and it would be gone - just like a fox.

I'm with dicehorn here (and not just because our usernames are similar!) Might try and get a photo first if there was time!

I'm not sure what I'd do. They are lovely creatures and I really do believe they exist here. If I was out with the .22lr or the .17AH I think I'd try the shouting method as it would probably work. If I had the 6.5x55 or 7x57 I'd probably fire. Anyone who says a .308 wont kill a cat is daft. Have you ever seen what a round like that does to a deer if you shoot it front on? The bullet would go right through a Panther sized cat and take most of its insides with it <_<

I was watching a programme on tv a while ago and they had a tracker from Africa looking for them here. He searched places where there had been solid reported sightings and found that the areas were very similar to where they'd be found in their native countries. The habits of the cats on video were just right and the chap was clever enough to be able to zoom in on the animal walking and say it was neither a dog nor large domestic cat because of the way it moved. He also found bone remains with marks that were unlike anything a native animal would make, yet very much pointing towards big cat damage.

They may not be that common and maybe five out of ten sightings are hoaxes, but I'm sure there must be the odd one around. Sceptics say why haven't we seen them then? Well if you're more open minded we have, you just don't believe it. As for finding a body, cats lie up to die and it will be in thick cover. With scavengers picking at the body bones get moved around. How often do you take notice of bones you spot whilst out? I walk past them now and again and assume they're Deer or Sheep etc. How many more go undetected like that?

If I shot one I'd be straight to the papers and I'd sell to the highest bidder. It does bother me that the government may cover things like this up to stop the public from going mad! They may already have proof, it just may be considered to be in our interests for us not to know.

they have a lifespan of 10-15 years which means that were they released in the 70's that we've then had close to 2 generations of breeeding, so basically the rumour mill doesn't believe in one or two but in lots, if they did exist foxhounds would have treed one by now as they cover an awful lot of the areas where they have been spotted. My inkling is no doubt some were released but they are very dead by now

Where i live, about half a mile up the road there is a scrap yard, where the owner had 2 black panthers about 15 years ago. He kept them to protect his scrap yard but the police said he had to have a license for them, so he let them go, one near Aberystwyth and the other is not know. Many people i know have told me they have seen one lamping, driving at night and during the day.

If i was approached by one, i can tell you now i would not hesitate to shoot it in the head, i would not want one of those powerful beasts attacking me, my mate or my dogs.

If I had the 6.5x55 or 7x57 I'd probably fire. Anyone who says a .308 wont kill a cat is daft. Have you ever seen what a round like that does to a deer if you shoot it front on? The bullet would go right through a Panther sized cat and take most of its insides with it <_<

I agree about the rifle calibre. The late Jim Corbett used a .275 (7x57) Westley Richards for much of his maneater slaying, both Leopard and Tiger. He did use bigger rounds for close quarter brush/jungle work, just picking up one of his books and opening it at random he makes reference to using "a .500 nitro express using modified codite". Now that would leave a place for a scab :mad:

Now, as the engineer said, we come to the tragic bit........people I like keep telling me that there are big cats about, but why oh why are they always black when they tell the story? FACT, There is no such species as a "black panther", :) They are a relatively rare genetic mutation in both Jaguars and leopards.

As for your License, if you have one of the new ones with "and any other legal species" written on it you will be fine, see my previous post on the letter about this subject from DEFRA. If not I should keep quiet or you could be in serious trouble, unless you can argue that your license accords you the right to protect other animals, but you would have to read your conditions carefully and take legal advice.

ft

edit: Most of the maneaters Jim Corbett shot were damaged in some way, either by porcupine quills or because some twonk had shot at it with a shotgun. If you used rifled slug from your shottie, no problem, but rabbit loads? I think not. But life or death for me and mine............................shoot it every time.

Edited by flytie

What I don't understand about these BIG CATS is what are they feeding on? I know from watching wildlife programmes on TV that big cats need a lot of meat in order to survive. If they were in the UK they would surely be killing sheep on a regular basis as this would be easy prey for them; now I think if the farmers were regularly losing full grown sheep they would know about it and suspicions would be pointed to big cats. I am in two minds whether to believe the existence of these incredible animals or not.

Some good posts on this page boys, these are the sort of answers I wanted.

I wouldn't say as I am worried about seeing anything like this, because I have been out lamping loads of times and never seen anything like it.

Just an uncomfortable thought at the back of my mind ;)

have a look at the little girl who was attacked in canada, then you will see what i meant! google it :good:

Yes they will attack small children simply because children are small and do not represent a threat to a large cat - very similar to a dingo in Auz - will go for a toddler but will scarper if confronted by an adult human. We as animals are all the same - we would rather pick a fight with a 4 foot midget than a 7 foot giant - But neither if we have an FAC :yes:

Well that's the big cat dealt with, but, more pertinently, what if you were out late one night and saw this?

scary-maze-game-tribute.jpg

Tell the wife to go home, you'll be back shortly, perhaps?

maximum firepower solves all situations :yes: :yes:

Get Babbyc1000 on the case as he is the MAN for them :good: or the undead :yes:

what, ugly women or zombies? :sick:

Yes they will attack small children simply because children are small and do not represent a threat to a large cat - very similar to a dingo in Auz - will go for a toddler but will scarper if confronted by an adult human. We as animals are all the same - we would rather pick a fight with a 4 foot midget than a 7 foot giant - But neither if we have an FAC :good:

Look big cat attacks up and theres just as many adults attacked as children

Theres a list of people and one was a couple "adults" they were walking in woods and it crept up and jumped on the mans back before his wife knew it was there.