Tow Rope

ME

There have been two occasions, one yesterday and one today when I wished I had a tow rope in the Shogun.

Yesterday whilst doing a feeder run I buried the farm Landrover up to the axles in a Rape field :blush: and had to tow it out with a tractor and chain in the end.

Today I saw a postie buried in a snow drift and if I had a tow rope in the Shogun I could have pulled his van out for him.

I dont want a cheap Halfords or petrol station special and I dont want one to go tractor pulling with. I would like a nice tow rope for reasonable money.

Anyone got any suggestions ? Anyone got one they wanna sell ?

Cheers

ME :good:

Matt,

Have a look on Machine Mart,

I have a 4meter long 2" webbing strop with a shackle at each end. I got mine from machine mart in colchester for about a tenner.

Nice darts MC :blush:

Keep the suggestions coming chaps :good:

I prefer to tow with a chain as it doesnt come to harm if it rubs on the road and there is no woory of stictching deteriating etc. I have a 3m tractor chain in my Navara and use it regularly towed a milk tanker up the lane with it the otherday.

In my work van to save weight I carry a 4 ton 3m lifting strap, light weight and very strong but not quite as robust although adequate for ocasional use.

Dont forget a couple of shackles so you can secure it to the tow points.

you might be better with a length of webbing.the stuff the haulage firms use.we,ve pulled some heavy stuff,4x4s with a boat and trailer of the beaches.rolls up nice for easy storage.

Good enough :good:

It wasnt so long ago i had a call from another PW member to pull them out of a "very muddy" field, the Disco was well in the mud, Its also neater all rolled up in a bag and fits nicely under the metro seats :beer:

Im not going to tell anyone who it was either. I promised :blush:

I have a couple like the cheaper ones above and they are brilliant, I have pulled up tree stumps and hedges with them and been recovered too.

They tend to get damaged easily on roads so get a cheaper one and replace when it shows signs of wear, I was going to buy very expensive kinetic ropes when I was into off roading but have been fine with the orange cheapies.

I have one of these (the bottom one)...... http://www.liftingandcrane.co.uk/products.php?id=18

It's a 2ton lifting strap with a 7-1 safety ratio. That means it's got a 14ton breaking strain! They roll up small and are hard wearing. If you get 2 tested shackles with it and wrap the strap around it you have a compact pulling setup that will never break (unlike the cheap junk you can get from Halfords etc).

I'd highly recommend a flat strap over a rope, they take up so much less space than a rope of equal strength. Be warned though, the guy in lifting and crane said that if I really go for it I could rip the towbar off of the truck before the strap will give :blush:

I have a couple of 5t span sets the ones with soft eye at one end and I tie one in the other, tough enough for anything I do but no stretch at all so can be jerky if towing!

oh and two bigish bow shackles

Edited by Red 9R

I have one of these (the bottom one)...... http://www.liftingandcrane.co.uk/products.php?id=18

It's a 2ton lifting strap with a 7-1 safety ratio. That means it's got a 14ton breaking strain! They roll up small and are hard wearing. If you get 2 tested shackles with it and wrap the strap around it you have a compact pulling setup that will never break (unlike the cheap junk you can get from Halfords etc).

I'd highly recommend a flat strap over a rope, they take up so much less space than a rope of equal strength. Be warned though, the guy in lifting and crane said that if I really go for it I could rip the towbar off of the truck before the strap will give :good:

You are not supposed to utilze the safety factor......A sling with a factor of 7:1 is only any sense when it is brand new at manufacture......Seen it only too often in my game with the old cliche'....I know its only rated at 2 tonne but it is good for blah,blah,blah.........

Once a lifting appliance has had some use that safety factor greatly diminishes-Believe me!!!

Never exceed the S.W.L........ever

Edited by starlight32

But the SWL is just that, the SWL. Not the SWT! When you're towing you're not going to get a big chunk of RSJ on your head if it snaps are you. It would be a lot more painful if the shacle was to give mind! Because they've got next to no stretch they don't fire off like a tow rope of they do snap, I think they're safer that way.

If lifting I support your arguement though, the safety factor is there for a reason. :good:

We've done loads of towing over the last week or so. We use webbing lifting straps, I've picked them up at car boot sales for buttons. I would not use them for lifting for obvious reasons, but they are excellent for towing. A couple of shackles is also a good idea.

I'll try and post a photo of one of the tows that we did this week.

webber