Trigger Guard Injury

guest1957

Hi,

Just back from the hospital. I shoot twice a week with a university clay pigeon club, and being a bit old fashioned I use the club's trusty old sbs. Every time I shoot it, it leaves the bottom half of my middle finger swollen where it bumps against the trigger gaurd. Last time I shot however, the sensation in the whole left side of the finger went. I have been referred to to a consultant who will hopefully be able to sort something out as it feels quite odd.

My question really is, are trigger guard injuries that common?

It`s very common with short stocks and short fingers on the front trigger.

It`s also a problem with long fingers on a non adjustable trigger.

The proper place to put your finger on the trigger is on the center of the first pad, the one under your nail. :drinks:

NOT IN THE JOINT. :lol:

This will solve the problem in most cases.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I knew that the stock on the gun was too short but unfortunately i'm not really in a postion to keep a gun at uni as their storage is a bit tight. Just hadn't appreciated how much the injury would build up, looks like im off shooting for a while until the consultant says it is ok again!

p.s. Coach, not on the trigger finger but the one behind. Thanks for the advice though :drinks:

I had the same problems with my Baikal when I started shooting. Sorted by buying £6.95 worth of slip on recoil pad. It only added 15mm-20mm to the stock but it cured the problem.

I was going to suggest an "elephants condom" you can add it as you shoot, and take it home with you.

It`s very common with short stocks and short fingers on the front trigger.

It`s also a problem with long fingers on a non adjustable trigger.

The proper place to put your finger on the trigger is on the center of the first pad, the one under your nail. :good:

NOT IN THE JOINT. :lol:

This will solve the problem in most cases.

Hi, Bit too quick, mate, read COACH again and if that fails, what Poorpeet says.

Cheers.

PS, Traveller, fat fingers!

I had the same problem for the first 12 months of my shooting and eventually realized I was wrapping too much of my hand around the grip, if that makes sense. This pushed my second finger up against the trigger guard which caused the problem. I tried a rubber bumper but could not get on with it.

I have heard it is more of a problem with straight hand stocks, rather than pistol grip ones, as the shape means your hand naturally travels up the stock.

Cured it by altering my grip - do this many, many times without firing the gun and it will become natural. I have not had any problems for the last 4 years.

If your hands are too small for the grip this will make the problem worse so you may want to try different guns.

All the best.

'guest1957' date='Feb 2 2010, 06:47 PM'

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I knew that the stock on the gun was too short but unfortunately i'm not really in a postion to keep a gun at uni as their storage is a bit tight. Just hadn't appreciated how much the injury would build up, looks like im off shooting for a while until the consultant says it is ok again!

p.s. Coach, not on the trigger finger but the one behind. Thanks for the advice though :lol:

Reply from Coach :-

I was talking about the second finger not getting the problem if the trigger finger is in the proper position.

Straight english stocks are a problem for this aswell. <_<

Regards, Coach.

Edited by COACH

Hi,

p.s. Coach, not on the trigger finger but the one behind. Thanks for the advice though :lol:

I had the exact same problem with my first shotgun, a side by side. It got to the point when it was a swelling on the bone :beer: a solid lump and it took, i kid you not, 3 months of no shooting in the off season for it to go after i flogged the gun. I was told at a latter date it was down to the stock being to short as i tried one of the rubber guard things and it still hurt. A stock extender may well solve the problem.

George