What damage can falling shot do?

tomhw100

Hey guys

Me and my mate are having a discussion:Would a piece of FALLING shot chip or smash a car windscreen (i'm not condoning shooting at roads by the way) i personally think it wont as it has lost most of its power by the time its falling-thats why its falling!. and when your in the beaters line and you get a stray bit fall on you it doesn't really hurt. obviously distances and height all come into it i was just looking for a general answer :good: .

cheers

Tom

I have tried shooting a car windscreen before with a 12 flb air rifle using logun penatraters with the permission of the farmer who was standing next to me and nothing happend no chips or even a scratch . however the side windows did not like it at all

so falling shot will do nothing to the windsreen

I have tried shooting a car windscreen before with a 12 flb air rifle using logun penatraters with the permission of the farmer who was standing next to me and nothing happend no chips or even a scratch . however the side windows did not like it at all

so falling shot will do nothing to the windsreen

My friend reading physics said this was down to the angles and how the momentum/power was deflected rather than absorbed by the glass.

my old boss took out the screen on a new rangerover sport with falling shot... it was in a high cock pheasant at the time. he payed cash on the spot to sort it then reversed over his own gun.... not his best day in the field !!!

theres more than 1 pessimist drowned in a half empty glass..

Edited by hookbones

my old boss took out the screen on a new rangerover sport with falling shot... it was in a high cock pheasant at the time. he payed cash on the spot to sort it then reversed over his own gun.... not his best day in the field !!!

theres more than 1 pessimist drowned in a half empty glass..

I don't like to sound pesimistic but unless he is the unluckiest person on the planet there is no chance of a pheasant load breaking a toughened laminated windscreen that is sitting at a severe angle to the vertical. Of course a direct shot would break it just not a falling one. Also it wouldn't break a car screen if it was driving along it would sound far less than a chip from a stone. When you're beating it is usual to have falling shot hit you and it is considerably more gentle than hail. At my mums it is pretty usual to have shot falling on her conservatory and thats never been damaged sounds just like rain falling on it.

Some years back while camping at Weston Park we were in the line of one of the sporting shoots so quite a few cars got showered with shot, not that frequently but still they did get quite a few marks left by the lead, but there was no damage other than that. They have since moved the camp site a bit further away :lol:

That would of course have been 7.5 shot now if they would have been allot larger then we may have been looking at small indents in the body work but i doubt it would have broken windows ???

On sunday i took a shot at an incomming overhead pigeon, i shot directly up/vertical (not on purposes, just by chance how the shot presented itself) and a few seconds later the shot came raining back down directly on and around me, it was so light. Obviously in this instance it's just gravity power and i can't see anyway that would have had any affect on anything it came into contact with.

I have seen someone shooting on a neighbouring permission with size 6 carts and shooting towards the farmers house about 250ish yards away, at the end of the day the shooter had to go to the farmers house get a ladder and scoop all the lead shot from the gutters around his conservatory and clean the drainage channels out on the farmers car parked infront, never seen him get a windown broken yet, just sounds like hailstones.

I have seen someone shooting on a neighbouring permission with size 6 carts and shooting towards the farmers house about 250ish yards away, at the end of the day the shooter had to go to the farmers house get a ladder and scoop all the lead shot from the gutters around his conservatory and clean the drainage channels out on the farmers car parked infront, never seen him get a windown broken yet, just sounds like hailstones.

And i bet he got loads of his shot out of the gutter,

:lol:???:no: LOL

Then the person who pulled the trigger will get a visit from the plod.

I get the feeling your view on life is that the glass is 'half empty'

My view on life is not the glass is "HALF EMPTY" MATE I consider my self as a safe shooter thats all, the last thing I want is to hurt or damage any thing when I am out shooting.

My view on life is not the glass is "HALF EMPTY" MATE I consider my self as a safe shooter thats all, the last thing I want is to hurt or damage any thing when I am out shooting.

What if I fired a shot at 45 degrees and all of a sudden there was a freak storm which dragged the shot into a whirlwind and a minute later flung it towards a motorway with cars averaging 75 mph?

Do I sound optimistic?

I don't like to sound pesimistic but unless he is the unluckiest person on the planet there is no chance of a pheasant load breaking a toughened laminated windscreen that is sitting at a severe angle to the vertical. Of course a direct shot would break it just not a falling one. Also it wouldn't break a car screen if it was driving along it would sound far less than a chip from a stone. When you're beating it is usual to have falling shot hit you and it is considerably more gentle than hail. At my mums it is pretty usual to have shot falling on her conservatory and thats never been damaged sounds just like rain falling on it.

the shot was in a bird at the time..it was the bird that hit the screen n it left a spiderweb fracture in the glass rather than shattering the whole lot... the biggest hole was in his wallet