What Accuracy do you expect from your rifles?

CZ550Kevlar

i was out zeroing yesterday with my .17hmr and .22rf after getting the barrels chopped and triggers and crowns customised.

With my ruger 10/22T using 40grain hollowpoint magtech i was grouping at 1" at 50 yards but was a bit tricky due to the snow blowing and cross winds so not a true picture but i reckon good enough.

My CZ452 style .17hmr using 17 grain Hornady i was grouping at 1/2" - 1" at 100 yards average again bit of a pain due to winds keep picking up.

I kept wanting to group tighter but maybe i`m being too picky, What grouping do you expect for your rifle?

i was out zeroing yesterday with my .17hmr and .22rf after getting the barrels chopped and triggers and crowns customised.

With my ruger 10/22T using 40grain hollowpoint magtech i was grouping at 1" at 50 yards but was a bit tricky due to the snow blowing and cross winds so not a true picture but i reckon good enough.

My CZ452 style .17hmr using 17 grain Hornady i was grouping at 1/2" - 1" at 100 yards average again bit of a pain due to winds keep picking up.

I kept wanting to group tighter but maybe i`m being too picky, What grouping do you expect for your rifle?

cz 452 shiloute, 22lr

i'm happy with 1" at 60-70 yards i have managed to get bettter groups in the summer and i have shot crows in the head at 45-55 yards wich isn't easy miss more than i hit..

I think it fairly standard to expect 1inch or inch sub groups from any caliber centrefire or 17HMR at 100 yards with no cross wind, 22 rimmy (i dont have one) my mates zero at 70 yards. A 1 inch group is going to do the biz and sub that is very nice but in the field prob not expected...

For a general hunting rifle, Sub inch ( MOA or less) groups are fine - if you are taking Bench rest (100yrds), then you will be looking at .2 of an inch or less sometimes

My Sako 75 (22-250) will shoot .5" groups or less if i do my bit, so did my old Tikka T3(.223) - both are standard factory rifles

I'm waiting for the first daisy picture to go up :good:

for me anything sub an inch I'm happy with but both my HMR and .223 will do half an inch if I do my bit, whichever means any miss in the field is usually down to me :good:

Oh go on then, this was after cleaning so expected the first 2 shots to be a bit wayward at 45 yards with no holdunder, following 8 were all dead bunny, that's about all I worry about really

post-17403-1265806622.jpg

Edited by Colster

As a minimum I want 1" @ 200yrds with my 20tac, as I got it to use at longer ranges its pointless if it wont let me do it consistantly!!

.243 - when im using factory ammo I want 1" at 100yrds, ill be after at least half that with the first set of reloads.

I have found since starting reloading I am asking alot more of my rifles and strive to find a more accurate load, which is nice because it takes any doubt away from a miss - its all my fault!!!

Like this! :good: - No idea on group size, but it's smaller than a 5 pence piece.

3 shot's @ 100 yards

and.. 1 shot @ 200 yards

.223Rem, 26 grn of varget, Lapua match brass, Sierra BT Spitzer, CCI 400 SR Primer

White square is 1" in size

post-2887-1265811811.jpg

Edited by garyb

Like this! :good: - No idea on group size, but it's smaller than a 5 pence piece.

3 shot's @ 100 yards

White square is 1" in size

Gary -measure the size of your group from edge to edge with your micrometer ( in inches) and then take away.224 ( bullet size) and this will give you you actual group size.

Looking at that 3 shot group it's in the .2's!!!!!! :good:

If I can keep my HMR, WMR and all my centrefires under and inch at 100 yards I pretty happy, the .22lr is zeroed at 60 yards and pretty easily does 1" at that distance.

If I'm on form and it's a good day I would expect 1/2 inch out of them all!!!

This was agood day...the HMR 100 yards, 4 shots!!!

Shot 3 and 4 were about as close as you can get to being in the same hole!!

post-20848-1265823903.jpg

Edited by Dekers

Deker, what's the idea behind a four shot group? Were you afraid to fire the fifth? :good:

I like to get sub 1" at 100 from my factory rifles, sub 1" at 50 with my .22lr and sub 1/2" at 100 with my Ackley. With the Ackley a half inch group is just proof of my rubbish ability, it will do .2MOA with a good man holding it.

Deker, what's the idea behind a four shot group? Were you afraid to fire the fifth? :lol:

I like to get sub 1" at 100 from my factory rifles, sub 1" at 50 with my .22lr and sub 1/2" at 100 with my Ackley. With the Ackley a half inch group is just proof of my rubbish ability, it will do .2MOA with a good man holding it.

To be honest I don't remember, this was last summer time, but you could be right, probably after 4 like that I bottled out of a 5th!!

I'm waiting for the first daisy picture to go up :lol:

for me anything sub an inch I'm happy with but both my HMR and .223 will do half an inch if I do my bit, whichever means any miss in the field is usually down to me :oops:

This one any good? Shot using my CZ452 Varmint 17HMR using Remington Premier at 100 Yards in reasonable weather with no wind! If there is a bit of cross wind blowing I expect the group to open up to about 1 inch which I am still happy with as every shot would be the equivalant of a very dead bunny using a head shot at this range!

The outer ring of the target is 6.75 inches diameter!

Edit: Just thought I should add that this was shot in the prone position without a bipod! This target makes it look like I should add one click up and one click right to the scopes which are BSA Deerhunter 3-9X50's, set at 9X Magnification!

post-17172-1265886100.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

This one any good? Shot using my CZ452 Varmint 17HMR using Remington Premier at 100 Yards in reasonable weather with no wind! If there is a bit of cross wind blowing I expect the group to open up to about 1 inch which I am still happy with as every shot would be the equivalant of a very dead bunny using a head shot at this range!

The outer ring of the target is 6.75 inches diameter!

Edit: Just thought I should add that this was shot in the prone position without a bipod! This target makes it look like I should add one click up and one click right to the scopes which are BSA Deerhunter 3-9X50's, set at 9X Magnification!

I'd be over the moon with that shooting, I'll get there eventually, oddly my CZ452 was deadful with remingtons.

I'd be over the moon with that shooting, I'll get there eventually, oddly my CZ452 was deadful with remingtons.

You will get there eventually Kyska, from what I ahve see you are certainly well on your way there already with your new rifle. Just remember what I said last time we spoke - "Practice makes perfect"!

You will get there eventually Kyska, from what I ahve see you are certainly well on your way there already with your new rifle. Just remember what I said last time we spoke - "Practice makes perfect"!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm off out this afternoon for a bit more paper hunting, with the hmr this time, I'll see how I do, if I'm any good this afternoon I'll pst them up.

Thinking about this, I cleaned the hmr last time I went out, how many shots should I think about putting through it to get it back on song? Is it likely I'll need to adjust the scope after cleaning?

Edited by kyska

Dekers a nice group there but you missed the centre of the cross if I'm not wrong!!!!Only joking nice group.

My Remington sps 223 will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards and thats how it came from the factory,I thought of floating the barrel but as I shoot freehand I dont think I'll gain that much.

This is without a bipod and I feel that the point of impact would probably change so it pays to zero in the same form as you shoot,I have noticed this more with my 270 if I try to use a bipod for zeroing,mind you zeroing that baby,you are aware of it recoil as you are braced firm to steady your grouping and thats when it becomes apparent how much this round chases you.

So I feel its definetly more important to zero as you normally shoot which definetly adds another factor to setting up your gun.

Bearing this in mind that you are usually aiming for a large organ on a fox or deer compared to bunnies.

Keith