using .22 rimfire bullets in an air rifle?

Thumpersniper

would this work in an FAC rated air rifle to reduce the problems of having to lighter pellet? or do you need the flange part in a propper pellet to seal the rifling properley? The magnum pellets for FAC air rifles are heavyer in order to make them more accurate? or would a bullet be too heavy and the wrong shape?

You can use non-diablo pellets in an airgun. You can also buy lead bullets for airgun,s so I can't see why it wouldn't work :)

o sorry you may well be able to reload rimfir i was only guessing that really because the brass is crimped in the rim when you fire, but if you bought new cases you could probably home load or something for accuracy i guess!

I thought the extra weight of the bullets would give some more ft/lb's down range with a FAC air rifle. But i think the whole idea with the lead skirt on a pellet is that it expands to form a seal in the barrel when the blast of air comes behind it this couldnt happen with a bullet it would just rely on being a tight fit i guess.

regretefully it was just a hypothetical question, i dont have an fac air rifle because they turned me one down on a variation because i have a .22lr :) and i dont know where you'd get rimfire bullets because you cant reload them! :good: probably a pointless hypothetical question as well really then lol

Does that mean it's either FAC air rifle or .22lr :good: Why not both?

Does that mean it's either FAC air rifle or .22lr :) Why not both?

summing about doubling up the same calibers... i have permission on about 2000 acres and explained i wanted something for using in the yards etc and the .22 in the field. FEO rang and said that i wouldnt be able to have a .22 FAC rated air rifle, so i said i would like a .17 instead of it as well as a .22lr. another phone call in a few weeks saying its either a .17 or a .22lr so i just said to forget it and il stick with a .22lr! would still really like an FAC air rifle at about 28ft/lb but cant have one....

"NATO Bullets" were available in the late 80s. Looked very much like a .22lr pulled bullet, but were made of some kind of metal alloy. They were waaay to hard, and grouped shockingly at 20 yards.

I'd hazard a guess that a pulled .22lr bullet would have a similar result. The trajectory would be stupidly loopy too.

Try CB Longs - 30 grain or so, and much lower velocity than standard rimfire ammo.

Some years ago you were able to get what they called "Eley Bullet Heads" i am sure they stopped making them, Rabbit magnums are still available but not as accurate "Die Sung are still about but again not as good as the olde eley.

Ox nato where if i remember about 18grains they were accurate in some but thats normal with most rifles. made of ali they would drill strait through quarry. so not an effiecient pellet, allthough i did have some good bags using them in an old Galaxy.

I dont think you will go far wrong using bisley magnums.

Edited by Dougy

.22lr Specifications

Case type Rimmed, Straight

Bullet diameter .223 in (5.7 mm)

Neck diameter .225 in (5.7 mm)

Base diameter .225 in (5.7 mm)

Rim diameter .275 in (7.0 mm)

Rim thickness .040 in (1.0 mm)

Case length .590 in (15.0 mm)

Overall length .985 in (25.0 mm)

TAKEN FROM WIKIPEDIA

The Bullet diameter, underlined, is the one you need to look at. .22lr is 5.7mm whereas .22 Air rifle pellets are 5.5 or 5.6mm.

And yes they were rabbit magnums

I'm pretty sure you can reload 22lr, might be wrong but i'm sure i saw something in a reloading magazine not so long back. you cpuld always try it in a standard air rifle.

If you can show me a way to refil the rim with primer I'll have a go, not possible for the normal, average, reloader, unless new technology has arrived!

If you can show me a way to refil the rim with primer I'll have a go, not possible for the normal, average, reloader, unless new technology has arrived!

As far as I'm aware, you need an explosives licence to own/create impact explosives... The green primer is extremely explosive and it actually makes a small bang when it's heated, even when it's not under compression.

Edited by harfordwmj