The most dangerous gun I ever shot with .

Harnser

I first shot a shot gun when I was about 12 years old . The first gun I ever shot was a westly richards hammer gun . This gun belonged to my mates grandfather and was kept in the shed on his allotment . The said gun can only be described as an old nail as it had a 4 inch split along the right barrel and the hammer had been removed to prevent that barrel being fired . The left barrel was badly pitted throught out the whole lenth of the tube and dibnt have a firing pin . We used to carry a nail in a match box for a firing pin and poke it into the firing pin hole prior to shooting ,cock the hammer and hope the nail didnt fall out . My mates grandfather had a smiths crisp tin full ofpaper cartridges that said home guard stamped on the head but unfortunately all the print had come off the tubes and we never knew what cartridge we were loading into the gun .

There were slugs ,game cartridges , tracers ,ssg .Lg and some that had the shot inside a tube made from wire what the hell they were for i dont know . We used to go down to the ozzy -carr and shoot ducks and rabbits . We never knew what type of cartridge we had loaded in the gun ,what the hell it was fun and we are both very lucky not to have this gun let go on us . I shudder when I think back to shooting this old nail .

Harnser .

HA laugh out loud...... I don't write to many post but read PW just about every day.......

You Harnser, although I dont really know you, are on my select list of

A) People who obviously know what there doing

B ) People whom I would ask advice off

C)People who seam to be responsible & of good judgment in the gun world

that scribbling sound is your name been scored from my list.......

Edited by kennym

Hanrser I am with you. My mate Ronnie built a 410 from a tube. 1977. Welded a handle on, drilled a hole to put the fuse in, emptied the shot and powder in and...BANG. His first experiments were to say the least- dangerous. One day, I got to his place and his face was covered in blood. He had a great big grin...

Later he set up a cord pull system, whereby, he could stand in one outbuilding, the gun (ho-ho), in another and simply pull a string-we all ducked and...survived. That was progress. Happy silly days. The man was a maniac or genius, but great fun to be around. :good:

Years ago a friend had a gun that neede getting rid of, old farm gun in a barn type thing i think. It was a single barrel and was rusted and pitted to hell!

Anyway he thought a good thing to to was to crimp the barrel shut in a vice, tie it to a plough, tie a piece of string to the trigger, load her up hide and yank the string!

Anyway when he yanked the string there was one hell of a boom and we went to investigate only to find the shot had opened the barrel out again!!! Couldnt believe it was still in one piece after what we are warned about with snow / mud etc!

I first shot a shot gun when I was about 12 years old . The first gun I ever shot was a westly richards hammer gun . This gun belonged to my mates grandfather and was kept in the shed on his allotment . The said gun can only be described as an old nail as it had a 4 inch split along the right barrel and the hammer had been removed to prevent that barrel being fired . The left barrel was badly pitted throught out the whole lenth of the tube and dibnt have a firing pin . We used to carry a nail in a match box for a firing pin and poke it into the firing pin hole prior to shooting ,cock the hammer and hope the nail didnt fall out . My mates grandfather had a smiths crisp tin full ofpaper cartridges that said home guard stamped on the head but unfortunately all the print had come off the tubes and we never knew what cartridge we were loading into the gun .

There were slugs ,game cartridges , tracers ,ssg .Lg and some that had the shot inside a tube made from wire what the hell they were for i dont know . We used to go down to the ozzy -carr and shoot ducks and rabbits . We never knew what type of cartridge we had loaded in the gun ,what the hell it was fun and we are both very lucky not to have this gun let go on us . I shudder when I think back to shooting this old nail .

Harnser .

when we where kids we made 410s out of 1/2 inch steel conduit we screwed a socket onto the threaded end plugging it with a bit of steel bar and solder drilling a hole through the middle to take a 2 inch nail, then mounting it on an old airifle stock

fastened down with hoseclips. the hammer was made of wood and fastened with a hinge to the stock with an elastic band attached we had to screw the barrel out to load a cart. we fired by pulling the hammer back with our thumbs

we had a lot of rabbit pie back in those days.

The same gun today would get you 5 years.in pokey.

but back in the 50's nobody bothered us. we roamed the fields as free es a bird so to speak.

At 16 yrs of age (1959!!) I acquired a .455 which took rimless cartridges. No ammo was available. In those days .410 catridges were cardboard / spun paper? so with a razor I was able to both shorten the cartridge and reduce the thickness of the front end to enter rebated chamber. The load was the counter weight from piano keys broken up for scout jumble sale. and as the gun took rimless cartridges I filed away the backplate to accept the .410's.

As in a previous post, I too tied the gun to a tree, cocked the hammer, tied a long piece of string to the trigger and pulled from a great distance. Yippeee. It was really good. Wild Bill Hickock of Bristol. The only problem was the projectile was smaller than the bore so it spiralled out of the barrell and you were likely to hit someon in the next field or county, it was so inaccurate. But great fun at 16.

Kept the gun for years, then took advantage of the amnesty

C'est La Vie

Bob

A chap a shoot with a couple of times a year has an old side by side .410 that's held together with gaffer tape. I've used it a couple of times and it's always held together but the more I think about it the more I cringe at the thought!

I bet you played with weedkiller and sugar as well............... :good:

Hmm. You can get in a lot of trouble with that stuff! :yes:

• 1 month later...

It was 1962; I was 15. It was a double 14 bore back-action side-lever B'Ham trade gun. The striker threads were worn, so Evo-Stik and cotton was used to build up the threads. The stock/action had a Cornflake box shim to fill the gap but it would still move a quarter inch each way at the barrel ends. The ammunition I used was 16 gauge, but I had to wrap thin paper round each shell before I went shooting so that the shells did not pass through the extractors.

JESUS!