clays to pigeons

andy_s

alright guys, i'm just making the move from clays to pigeon shooting and wondered if anyone can tell me the speed at which the pigeons will be flying when hopefully coming into my pattern and then once i start to shoot at them. with the clays i like to work out how much lead will be needed at different speeds and distances so i'm thinking the same for pigeon shooting. i take it the pigeons will speed up once they see me. thanks............andy.

As already stated by the other posters, it is impossible to give one answer. Any shot you take will be unique to that particular bird, and unlike clay shooting, if you miss, you can't just push the button again and get the same bird travelling in the same way.

Thats the beauty of pigeon shooting, no two birds will be shot in the same way, it relies upon your skill as a shooter to judge in that moment, what the speed of the bird is and what lead/adjustments you need to make to kill it.

Thats why I miss more than I hit..... :hmm:

i obviously wasn't expecting a reply of 36.4mph but saying that they can fly up to 70mph can help you judge the differant speeds they are flying at so at a given distance i'll start to get an idea of how much lead to give it knowing how fast the lead is flying out the barrels. this is how i learnt with clays although i appreciate that a pigeon is never going to be as predictable or fly in straight lines as clays do. thanks for the replies though guys.

thanks for the replies guy. i guess it's just get out there and give it a go then.

I would agree with the "how long is a bit of string" quote.

However, for info only, the Eley shooters diary 2010 offers the following guide for forward allowance for birds crossing at 40 mph with No 6 shot

Standard velocity cartridge 30 yd range 5' 6"; 35 yds 6' 8"; 40 yds 8' 0"; 45 yds 9'6"; 50 yds 11' 1"

High velocity cartridge: it seems that you reduce the forward allowance by abou 3"

Mind you, just how you gauge in a instant the speed and distance that acurately beats me. It really boils down to the experience and pracitice advice given by others.

Can I change the question slightly...

For those who shoot both clays and pigeons sucessfully do they think that they tend to under lead or over lead live birds until they get it right?

I was about to ask a similar question with the suspicion that I am over leading pigeons.

I am bringing down the instinctive snap shots amd loosing what appear to be simpler crossing birds.

I know there isn't a magic answer but any obswervations would be welcome

Thanks anyway

For those who shoot both clays and pigeons sucessfully do they think that they tend to under lead or over lead live birds until they get it right?

I was about to ask a similar question with the suspicion that I am over leading pigeons.

I am bringing down the instinctive snap shots amd loosing what appear to be simpler crossing birds.

Thanks anyway

I would say with the snap shots your pulling through (bum belly beak bang) with the simple crossers your tracking them thinking you have more time . Try comming from behind and swing through the bird :good:

Thanks anyway

" Iam bringing down the instinctive snap shots ......."

I think that says it all.

" Iam bringing down the instinctive snap shots ......."

I think that says it all.

Yes, I do too. But, getting myself to swing through those that give plenty of notice of their arrival in range is hard to do. Back to the original question; clays and live birds are totall different. A pigeon coming in at 30mph can and does suddenly brake or accelerate and / or change direction as it decides to come into the deeks, or not as the case might be. Clays don't do that. My answer is to hold back and then treat the shot as a snap shot. I find it works better for me that way.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have done the BASC instructors assessment and had the Bum Belly Beak and maintained lead stuff trotted out, apparently don't do any off them! I shoot gun down then plant a shot exactly where I think it needs to go, works about 95% of the time on clays so I wasn't particularly motivated to start pratting about to get the last one in twenty clays especially when it came to smearing Vasoline on my glasses to "correct" my vision. One or two extra clays a week didn't seem too big a deal to wanted to walk round half blinded.

So the choice seems to be to re-calibrate where I plant my shot and maintain the way I shoot or to start deliberately shooting differently for pigeons and hope it doesn't wreck my clay shooting.

Not sure how much that helps.....

Thanks again everyone