Price comparison of centrefire calibres pleeeease.

Am getting interested in getting a centrefire for foxing as they're stealing all my bunnies and a bit paper punching (slash shooting various objects to see what happens :rolleyes:)

Now, .22 hornet, .222, .223 and .243 (not interested in deer though). I imagine bigger will equal more expensive, or is say .22-250 cheaper than .222 for example?

What do you lot currently pay for factory ammo, and what saving would you reckon for homeloading of these. I get the impression that the hornet is best homeloaded but not sure if I wanna start all that yet - unless the saving is high enough :rolleyes:

Suppose what I'm asking is which one is cheapest :angry:

Cheers

for quality ammo they will all be about the same. If you're shooting that many rounds that the cost difference between any two of them is a deciding factor, then you should either be reloading or shooting a rimfire.

Thanks

Rick

Won't be using loads of ammo but it is fair to say that I am very tight :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

£8 for 20 doesn't sound bad at all. Cheers Nick.

If you are only looking to shoot out to 200yds then factory ammo will be fine, and depending on your individual rifle it may shoot accurately much further out.

If you want to go for long range targets then you are better going to homeloads.

Although home loads work out at half the price or better than factory ammo, the setting up cost will be around £150 for a good basic set up (not including consumables), so it will take around 500 rounds before you recover your initial outlay.

Home loading is another part of shooting, and it can be great fun, very interesting and rewarding.

I use a .223, and it is a very capable calibre, with a wide range of factory ammo available at reasonable prices.

HTH

Cooter :rolleyes:

If you dont want to go after deer at all then Id say possibly a 223 as there very common, lots of cheap ammo about and from what I hear very good for foxing :good:

I have a 243, for 75gr ballistic its about £26 for 20 (Remington's). For 90gr soft point (Privi's) There about £10 for 20. For foxing you want a lighter load, another reason I suggested 223. I think you can pick up 56gr soft points for cheap, Wolf/Privi's :good: ... or so Ive heard :P lol, I got a 243 so I can have a crack at deer in the future :)

Have you used it??? Seems about the same price as PRVI which fortunately works in mine, but I've not come across this before!!

yeah got loads of it, i buy as much as i can whenever i see it, as it's not very common - works great of foxes and muntjac and is amazingly accurate.

yeah got loads of it, i buy as much as i can whenever i see it, as it's not very common - works great of foxes and muntjac and is amazingly accurate.

where abouts are you finding have it? I've got some remington 45 grainers which were pretty cheap that work well in mine but they weren't that cheap!

another vote for .223 if you want easily available factory ammo and lots of choice of guns etc

cheers might have a look when passing, not that I seem to get through enough rounds to worry too much, a few hundred a year the cost isn't much of an issue though would be good to have some cheapies to have a play with

If you want some cheapies to play with I have 500 Wolf .223 55g HP, still factory sealed available for £100 TOTAL...yep...20p each!!

http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=c...1&Itemid=12

PM if interested, Paperwork required obviously!!

:good: