Deer killed by shotgun?

Nial

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought shooting deer with a shotgun was generally illegal

Could someone clarify this :welcomeani:

You can shoot deer to your hearts content with a 12g and AAA, or a slug. The likes of BB or SG carts are NOT allowed! If the BDS had its way shotguns would be banned entirely!

Other that that specifically, any other shotgun or cartridge can only be used for Humane despatch in defined circumstances!

ATB!!

Thats absolutely outrageous to even suggest that! obviously deer are culled by rifles and maybe the occasional shotgun in certain circumstances. The only ones being shot with shotguns would be by poachers and by responsible people on rare occasions and to even mention air rifles is an absolute atrocity. No wonder so many people get the wrong idea about shooting-im definitely going to email her-keep u posted on her reply!

Tom

Edited by tomhw100

I just wrote her this email

Dear Louise

I have just finished reading your article in the Telegraph and quite frankly i cannot believe what i am reading!. Deer are not mostly shot with shotguns at all,they are controlled humanely with large caliber rifles and occasionally shotguns under the right circumstances. To even mention air guns shows you either have been given incorrect information by someone who obviously hasn't got a clue about deer control or you have a complete ignorance for the subject in which you are reporting on. As a shooter my self i am sick and tired of the way our sport is relayed to the public in such a negative manner by journalists who quite frankly have no idea about what they are reporting on.

Tom Morris

What you think!

You can shoot deer to your hearts content with a 12g and AAA, or a slug. The likes of BB or SG carts are NOT allowed! If the BDS had its way shotguns would be banned entirely!

Other that that specifically, any other shotgun or cartridge can only be used for Humane despatch in defined circumstances!

ATB!!

Deer Act:

(5) A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4(2)(a) above by reason of the use as a slaughtering instrument, for the purpose of killing any deer, of a smooth-bore gun which— .

(a)

is of not less gauge than 12 bore; .

(:o

has a barrel less than 24 inches (609.6 millimetres) in length; and .

©

is loaded with a cartridge purporting to contain shot none of which is less than .203 inches (5.16 millimetres) in diameter (that is to say, size AAA or any larger size).

So SG being larger would also be permitted, unless you are an occupier taking deer for purposes realting to preservation of crops etc. then you are limited to AAA or slug. The law is full of odd inconsitencies like this. A smooth bore gun however is prohibited for general stalking/hunting.

Deer Act:

(5) A person shall not be guilty of an offence under section 4(2)(a) above by reason of the use as a slaughtering instrument, for the purpose of killing any deer, of a smooth-bore gun which— .

(a)

is of not less gauge than 12 bore; .

(B)

has a barrel less than 24 inches (609.6 millimetres) in length; and .

©

is loaded with a cartridge purporting to contain shot none of which is less than .203 inches (5.16 millimetres) in diameter (that is to say, size AAA or any larger size).

So SG being larger would also be permitted, unless you are an occupier taking deer for purposes realting to preservation of crops etc. then you are limited to AAA or slug. The law is full of odd inconsitencies like this. A smooth bore gun however is prohibited for general stalking/hunting.

Ok, I can't be doing with looking this up so someone straighten me out if I have it wrong....

I think you will find....

1991 Deer Act

Section 4(2) is about the legally suitable tools for dear shooting, Section 6 (5) lays out the exception to this and relates specifically to slaughtering instruments to prevent suffering...not hunting/stalking.......and this section has also has been completely amended in the 1997 Deer Act Amendment.

I'm confident 12g AAA or Slug remains the only recipe for hunting/stalking! :o :good:

ATB!!

I've had a reply!

Dear James,

You are of course right about shotguns and it has been corrected.

The reference to air rifles is to point out the poaching problem in cities like Glasgow. Air rifles do not kill the deer but they are used to take "pot shots", which is an animal welfare issue.

Thanks for your input.

Best

Louise Gray

Ok, I can't be doing with looking this up so someone straighten me out if I have it wrong....

1991 Deer Act

Section 4(2) is about the legally suitable tools for dear shooting, Section 6 (5) lays out the exception to this and relates specifically to slaughtering instruments to prevent suffering...not hunting/stalking.......and this section has also has been completely amended in the 1997 Deer Act Amendment.

I'm confident 12g AAA or Slug remains the only recipe for hunting/stalking! :o :good:

ATB!!

As a responsible shooter who has taken it upon themselves to give advice on the use of shotguns in this thread I rather think that you should be doing with looking it up so that you know what the legislation states before giving advice such as "you can shoot away to your hearts content...............".

The advice you are giving is pure jibberish.

1991 Deer Act

ATB!!

What I'm, saying is that you cannot hunt/stalk with a shotgun unless you are engaging in slaughtering, humane dispatch or to prevent serious damage to crops. The exemption was to allow crofters the ability to shoot the odd deer they see destoying crops, not to allow shotguns to be used for hunting/stalking in any conventional sense.

I've had a reply!

Dear James,

You are of course right about shotguns and it has been corrected.

The reference to air rifles is to point out the poaching problem in cities like Glasgow. Air rifles do not kill the deer but they are used to take "pot shots", which is an animal welfare issue.

Thanks for your input.

Best

Louise Gray

Exactly the same reply that I got back - Word for word!

As a responsible shooter who has taken it upon themselves to give advice on the use of shotguns in this thread I rather think that you should be doing with looking it up so that you know what the legislation states before giving advice such as "you can shoot away to your hearts content...............".

The advice you are giving is pure jibberish.

Your worthwhile and inspiring input is noted, perhaps you would care to show where I am wrong before you come out with comments like jibberish.

Let me remind you what I said....

ATB!!

Thats the way it is, that is correct to the best of my knowledge, as I already said if I am wrong then show me and I will hold my hand up!

Edited by Dekers