Game Fair Tea Leafs

clayman

Back from the West Country Game Fair where we met up with friends and saw many of our valued customers - but No Thank Yous to the nice folk who think it appropriate to steal from traders - losses:-

Hills PCP pump - £159

Red Kite active earmuffs £59-00

Napier Trigger lock £19-95

Beartooth Camo 3pc set £19-95

Tubs of Air Arms Pellets - £50

and probably some more - all nicked. :good:

Other traders suffered similarly with thievery at this show.

99% of our hunting and shooting community is honest, and there are some lovely people in the West, but these nasty people who think its fair to steal spoil it for all of us - and make it questionable as to whether its worth supporting all the honest folk out there.

Suggestions as to how we should deal with these retrogrades?

£300 + Not good you have my sympathy and that is before cost of pitch (site), transport getting there etc. So quite a few sales to be made to break even, never mind show profit for the day.

Will make it more difficult for everyone as access to goods will become more restricted and prices will have to cover losses by theft. :good::hmm::lol:

No if a stirrup pump and pellets went then it is the air rifle mob.....I never class them as refined as SGC and FAC holders. I mean air rifle shooters can come from any old pot, but be informed I not classifying all air gun boys in that category so to speak.

On the same note have a look in a gun shop at rifles on the shelf......9 times out of 10 you will alway see them with out magazines as they are nicked all time.

They have some bloody cheek, how the hell did they discreatly slip away with a stirup pump ! :good:

When I worked in a garage the guy that comes around in his van selling snap on tools was telling us how he had an air compressor stole off his van but it was never found even though police were called and search the garage where he was which is where it dissappeared off the van

Edited by ST3V3

A shop owner I know has now removed my items from his display as too many have been stolen and he has to then pay me for the items (sold or stolen). He says it is not who you first expect, it is the middle aged, middle clased ladies who are just bored and nick stuff they can afford easily. :good:

How do they know this? they are caught on camera!

The secturity fellas are useless as they arrive too late :hmm:

Get yourself some dummy CCTV cameras - the real cameras are expensive and are not worth having.

On the farm I shoot they have top of the range cameras and each time they have been done over they have the people on camera. Turns out the number plates on the vehicles used are all phoney and even with decent pictures of the perps themselves the police turned round and said "This isn't CSI I have no way of knowing or finding out who that face actually belongs to". The facial recognition stuff is just for MI5 and the films.

So, there you have it.

At the Dumfries and Galloway gamefair Mickey who was helping Simon Whitehead do a ferret roullette to help the RNLI spotted a guy stealing one of Simons DVDs he told me and pointed the guy out I followed him across to the beer tent where he was showing it to his mates I asked him if I could speak to him outside he said what about I said in a nice loud voice its about the dvd you STOLE of off Simon Whitheads caravan while he was doing his ferret demo are you going to pay for it or am I going to drag you outside to meet the

D & G police he coughed up and him and his mates left.I hate thieves!!!

Totaly gutted for you Clayman

We went to the midland gamefair last year and all the traders were on high alert. Lots of them had security on their stands.

Made the decision that we will not be going again, didnt like the atmosphere.

No if a stirrup pump and pellets went then it is the air rifle mob.....I never class them as refined as SGC and FAC holders. I mean air rifle shooters can come from any old pot, but be informed I not classifying all air gun boys in that category so to speak.

On the same note have a look in a gun shop at rifles on the shelf......9 times out of 10 you will alway see them with out magazines as they are nicked all time.

What an **** of a comment!!!!!! I shoot air rifle and shotgun and I certainly dont go around game fairs stealing pellets or shotgun cartridges... :lol: and as for being more "refined"... what a strange world you must live in my friend... <_<

Sorry to hear about your issues

I am exhibiting at the NEC this week and there are only 2 things that are no screwed down. One is my phone the other a wifi touch panel everything else is fised in place, we took the decision not to retail from the stand as the risk of theft, credit card fraud and damage is too high. But i understand at game fairs etc the point is to get cash in the till. Guess better secuirty is the only option and more staff. A mate used to work in a mobile shop and they had phones i locked boxes the thieving **** found out how to unscrew the whole locked box and arm from the wall and take it all whole sale!

a basic CCTV system with live monitor may act as a deterrent and can be done fairly cheaply as long as you have power. Unfortunately the cost of security is higher than the possible losses.

This reminds me of when I was in HighClere game fair two years ago. I was in one of the stalls, and noticed two yobs looking around and eyeing up the knives on display. I went and told the stall owner, who watched them discreetly. When one of them went to put a knife in his pocket, the stall owner punched him in the back, flooring him. The other yob ran off, and his mate was literally thrown out of the stall. I got a tin of gun oil for my 'help'.

Justice!

The chances are that game fairs and country fairs will attract the travelling community and that is always going to be a problem waiting to happen. We sometimes use a local car boot sale to shift overstocks from our business and its like a free for all. You have to keep your eyes peeled all the time.

Edited by Vince Green