Another long morning at the does

henry d

I was out early and due to the rain and strong wind, tried my luck on the lee side of the woods, nowt, nada......... :good:

Decided to head off to a mixed wood, as the conifer plantation was too thick, about a mile away. I took my time walking the edges of the wood and fields and still nothing. I entered the wood and started to head into the wind and after about 300yds I saw two butts flicking away from me about 80yds to my right and they headed into the wind. I stopped for 3-4 minutes and slowly edged around where they had first taken off from and from there I could see the wood become more sparse with open spaces of heather between the Scots pines. I thought I could get up there and if they had gone that way I could get a better shot than in thick woodland.

I got to the edge of a clearing and stood there for 5 minutes and saw nothing so I retraced my steps with the intention of going back to the car and home, when I spotted a white tush side on to me in a birch thicket only 50yds from where I last saw them. I got the rifle onto the sticks and could see she was a mature doe, but she had her side protected by a birch sapling and some scrub and if she moved forward I would lose her into the thicket.

I decided to go for a head shot (tin hat on!) and waited for her to lift her head. She didn`t know what hit her as the 140gn bullet removed the top of her skull and she fell and twitched a couple of times.

I have to say I DON`T advocate headshots, but this was 50-60yds and any other shot would probably have needed a dog to retrieve the beast.

post-1301-1269268170.jpg

I was out early and due to the rain and strong wind, tried my luck on the lee side of the woods, nowt, nada......... :good:

Decided to head off to a mixed wood, as the conifer plantation was too thick, about a mile away. I took my time walking the edges of the wood and fields and still nothing. I entered the wood and started to head into the wind and after about 300yds I saw two butts flicking away from me about 80yds to my right and they headed into the wind. I stopped for 3-4 minutes and slowly edged around where they had first taken off from and from there I could see the wood become more sparse with open spaces of heather between the Scots pines. I thought I could get up there and if they had gone that way I could get a better shot than in thick woodland.

I got to the edge of a clearing and stood there for 5 minutes and saw nothing so I retraced my steps with the intention of going back to the car and home, when I spotted a white tush side on to me in a birch thicket only 50yds from where I last saw them. I got the rifle onto the sticks and could see she was a mature doe, but she had her side protected by a birch sapling and some scrub and if she moved forward I would lose her into the thicket.

I decided to go for a head shot (tin hat on!) and waited for her to lift her head. She didn`t know what hit her as the 140gn bullet removed the top of her skull and she fell and twitched a couple of times.

I have to say I DON`T advocate headshots, but this was 50-60yds and any other shot would probably have needed a dog to retrieve the beast.

Nice write up Hd. What gun+set up are you using?

. I have been out several times this week looking for yearlings but all I can get in my sights are heavy does and bucks. .
same here went out yesterday seen 23 roe all mature does or big bucks not a yearling to be seen :P:P

good shooting henry d bth :good::hmm:

She looks quite big. Was she carrying twins?

Yes, quite well on too.

She looks full of young. I have been out several times this week looking for yearlings but all I can get in my sights are heavy does and bucks. Out again in morning for another try.

If I were shooting for myself and not doing a cull then I too would be after a nice yummy yearling too. Having said that one I shot "for the pot" last week has to be the biggest doe I have shot, although I don`t have scales at home I would say she wasn`t far off 20kg larder weight, her kidneys were encased with thick fat as was her butt/thighs.......... all over really.

Great write up (as always) Henry. I do not see why people worry (Or criticise) quite so much about having to take a head shot at deer now and then. There are times (As this one of yours clearly demonstrates) where it is unavoidable. . If you are within a range that you are comfortable at (Which you obviously were) and you have the confidence and experience then I do not see any problem whatsoever. I don't think for one minute that there is a need for a "tin hat" when mentioning that this shot of yours was a head shot.

Keep it up mate, you are doing a great job! :good:

:good: 140g!!! |What other outcome could there have been?

Since you asked... A jawed deer is a jawed deer, whether it was shot with a 222 or a 308.

Not having a poke at henry - just thought your comment was a strange one, EE.

There's a time and place for head shots and experienced stalkers know when (and more importantly) when not to head shoot deer :birthday: I had a lovely munty the other night would only show his head from behind a large tree as he knew something was up. <50yds from a solid highseat - no question of where to shoot him...

I think too many inexperienced stalkers think headshots are the be all and end all, and if you head shoot all your deer it makes you some sort of uber marksman. What really makes me cringe is someone bragging about their first deer, which they head shot at 165yds, right on last light, off sticks or some other twaddle.

Since you asked... A jawed deer is a jawed deer, whether it was shot with a 222 or a 308.

Thats not what i meant, (and yes i agree my answer was ambiguous), he used a 140gr bullet, and she didnt twitch, as in what other result would a well placed 140gr bullet produce in the head??

Im fully awre of the risk of jawing a deer and until; Im a lot more experienced at shooting deer, I wouldnt even consider taking a head shot. :good:

I think too many inexperienced stalkers think headshots are the be all and end all, and if you head shoot all your deer it makes you some sort of uber marksman. What really makes me cringe is someone bragging about their first deer, which they head shot at 165yds, right on last light, off sticks or some other twaddle.

Spot on my friend, as far as I can recall, I`ve only had 2 headshots, the first was due to the doe being laid down.

Not many gold medal bucks are headshot :good: