Anyone else find this scary?

Colster

Crows are fun to shoot. I have a powerline that's about 40 yards from a stack of bails that's really comfy to shoot off. Always has a crosswind that makes the shots extra satisfying when the spiral to the ground

When I posted was he seriously shooting at something sitting on a power line I got a "...and why not" reply from another member of the airgun forum concerned.

He's openly stating that not only is he shooting towards a power line, he's doing it in a crosswind.. for extra challenge?

Edited by Colster

When I posted was he seriously shooting at something sitting on a power line I got a "...and why not" reply from another member of the forum concerned.

He's openly stating that not only is he shooting towards a power line, he's doing it in a crosswind.. for extra challenge?

Apparently the electriity board always have issues with power lines being peppered with shot. If the person is on about shooting with an airgun, then there's no problem, as the pellet will just bounce off. A shotty would do damage over time, but you'd have to keep hitting the same spot.

QUOTE: Crows are fun to shoot. I have a powerline that's about 40 yards from a stack of bails that's really comfy to shoot off. Always has a crosswind that makes the shots extra satisfying when the spiral to the ground

Lovely, just what the anti-gun people want to hear!

Aswell as shooting the cable what about misses or full penetration?? Surely he'd be shooting upwards toward the line so rounds could be landing outside ownership boundaries/onto public highways/in people or animals?! Sorry didn't realise it was just an airgun. Still wouldn't recommend it though

Mark

Edited by Breastman

shot hundreds of doves off them in my youth as we had some outside my bedroom window and the neighbours doves bred at will with the local pigeon population. Personally with an airgun we never did any damage though we did own the field behind it and no other houses about so no problems there. As for I assume shooting rooks off them well i'm obviously the only one to say keep it up but then I have got a rookery outside my current house doing my head in with the bleeders waking me up at 4.30am each morning :)

I would imagine you would need to hit the line at pretty close range to cause any damage. If its a high voltage power line they cables are more like inch thick high tensile steel cables.

Steel is not a good conductor of electricity and is only used as a catenary for copper or aluminium conductors in overhead lines. Cable in power distribution is usually a term for what is buried in the ground. "Line" or "conductor" is normally used for overhead systems.

Crows are fun to shoot. I have a powerline that's about 40 yards from a stack of bails that's really comfy to shoot off. Always has a crosswind that makes the shots extra satisfying when the spiral to the ground

without knowing more info i dont think any of us can pass much judgement, but assuming theyre using an airgun i cant see it doing much damage to a power line unless he repeatedly misses and hits the line (in the same place alot). he says he's shooting from a stack of bails, well how high is the stack and how low is the lines? doesnt necessarily mean he's shooting up, and even if it does how do we know the pellet will leave the boundary of the land?

only thing i would have a problem with is the wording about crosswinds and it being extra satisfying when they sprial to the ground, is it satisfying because its harder to get a clean kill? :)

Did you say you're getting up to go shooting at 4am tomorrow? I'll give you a hand :yes:

if only, they are pretty untouchable at the moment as any shot would land in the stable yard behind me or the old peoples home. I'm getting close to getting a ladder trap in but would be a bit comical in the garden as it would be hard to disguise it or the noise enough :)

ive shot pigeons and doves off power lines loads of times and i definitely would shoot crows or jackdaws off them if i had the chance!:as long as there is a safe back drop and the target is within your range then why not?. a airgun pellet will do sweet f.a. to a power line unless like every one has said you sit there all day and shoot in exactly the same place and even then i dont think it would do much! besides it would be some sort off major misjudgment to hit an actual line itself instead of the bird or clean missing! not sure i agree with the satisfying crosswind thing tho!. I can see some people's sides of the argument too tho.

To me it sounds like he's actually shooting off the power line.. in which case he shouldn't be shooting that much longer anyway :lol:

i don't really have an issue with him shooting birds off a powerline with an air rifle, he knows the distance so will be hitting accurately. even if he did hit the line an air rifle isn't going to damage it.

Providing he knows what lies behind and it's safe, why not?

maybe the crosswind thing is a bit iffy if he's not sure of where's he's hitting and could be causing injury.

Edited by nickbeardo

Theres some discarded section of overhead powerline cable where i sometimes walk my dog and if im honest-a shotgun would struggle to make any sort of mark on it and an airgun would do nothing.Its incredibly tough stuff i can tell you and if it wasnt the fact that its too heavy to lift or drag even-i'd take it to be weighed in!

Edited by Imperfection

Theres some discarded section of overhead powerline cable where i sometimes walk my dog and if im honest-a shotgun would struggle to make any sort of mark on it and an airgun would do nothing.Its incredibly tough stuff i can tell you and if it wasnt the fact that its too heavy to lift or drag even-i'd take it to be weighed in!

Telephone cables on the other hand are much easier to damage.