FUDs or silosox

Gutter

Whats best, I have been watching the birds on OCR and at the current time the birds look in really good condition and well into the breeding cycle.

When watching them feed and flight they are bright especially the white neck and wing bars.

I went out on some drilled pea's today with my mate and we put out the FUDs under a flight line on a field we new they were using. However the pea's were not up yet (Possible eating the chickweed). Birds were just not interested.

After putting out the FUDs they just looked Dull, dull, dull, with no brightness to them. We had 1 woody and a Black after 2 hours. So we up'd and moved to another field, again Pea's and again not up yet (Looks like everywhere is about 3 to 4 weeks behind).

This time I put out the Silosox and this certainly made them more interested in the pattern. I think this is because the pattern I put out was brighter and more in line with what the birds would expect this time of the year. We only had 12 for the morning but I take the learning from how the birds reacted.

Has anyone else had a similar experience.

The last lesson learn, wait till the pea's are up and the birds are commiting to the field for the better day.

ive got the fuds and im happy with how they set up and look yes there a bit darker than the real thing BUT they seem to work my only gripe with them are the plastic clips there ****P ive used mine twice and both times found broken plastic clips on them and the site where i got them from want £8 for a bag of spares.imho there not upto the job so will be replaceing the stubs with something more substantial.

get your self some flocked half shells me and a couple of mates have had the fuds and the sillisocks and tryed them out for a while but they come in better to the flocked shells every time :lol:

I will check them out at the next game fair

Cheers

I've been using FUDS since February, and IMHO I think they'e less convincing than flocked shells, although because of their pack flat foam design, I can just about squeeze 16 plus 125 shells, gloves and hat into my 5 gallon fermenting bucket which is a huge advantage when carting your kit around.

I'm now of the opinion that my pattern lacks movement, having experimented over cut maize 3wks ago and found that my FUDs and dead bird bouncer set-up just wasn't pulling in the birds. I had hundreds of birds flying along the edge of the maize crop but none would come close enough to shoot at. Eventually the gamekeeper, Tony kindly lent me his rotatry magnet and we were in business. The FUDs initially performed well whilst shooting over a drilled field of peas early March, although I think that grey breeze blocks would have been equally succesful given that Woodpigeons are quick to spot feeding opportunities.

Having watched Chris Green's Pigeon Shooting Volume 1, which I picked up at the Kelmarsh show on Ester Sunday, I'm giving serious thought to adding some Traitor Decoys to my pattern, which should dangle in the breeze and add the movement that the pattern is currently lacking. I'm less inclined to buy a rotary as I really can't be doing with lugging kit around...plus there's something a little disturbing about them!

With reference to the FUDs build quality, I was a little disappointed to find that one of the eighteen FUDs purchased from Sportarm, Dorchester arrived missing a plastic rivet. I've since used a couple of transparant plastic buttons and a paperclip to replace the missing fitting, which looks smart and holds well.

I've now sat in front of shell deeks, full bodied deeks, rotary's, FUDs, bouncers and flappers and they've all performed well at times and not so at others. I think ultimately there's no subsititute for getting yourself as near too the birds flightline as possible and watching closely for their reaction.

I've been using FUDS since February, and IMHO I think they'e less convincing than flocked shells, although because of their pack flat foam design, I can just about squeeze 16 plus 125 shells, gloves and hat into my 5 gallon fermenting bucket which is a huge advantage when carting your kit around.

I'm now of the opinion that my pattern lacks movement, having experimented over cut maize 3wks ago and found that my FUDs and dead bird bouncer set-up just wasn't pulling in the birds. I had hundreds of birds flying along the edge of the maize crop but none would come close enough to shoot at. Eventually the gamekeeper, Tony kindly lent me his rotatry magnet and we were in business. The FUDs initially performed well whilst shooting over a drilled field of peas early March, although I think that grey breeze blocks would have been equally succesful given that Woodpigeons are quick to spot feeding opportunities.

Having watched Chris Green's Pigeon Shooting Volume 1, which I picked up at the Kelmarsh show on Ester Sunday, I'm giving serious thought to adding some Traitor Decoys to my pattern, which should dangle in the breeze and add the movement that the pattern is currently lacking. I'm less inclined to buy a rotary as I really can't be doing with lugging kit around...plus there's something a little disturbing about them!

With reference to the FUDs build quality, I was a little disappointed to find that one of the eighteen FUDs purchased from Sportarm, Dorchester arrived missing a plastic rivet. I've since used a couple of transparant plastic buttons and a paperclip to replace the missing fitting, which looks smart and holds well.

I've now sat in front of shell deeks, full bodied deeks, rotary's, FUDs, bouncers and flappers and they've all performed well at times and not so at others. I think ultimately there's no subsititute for getting yourself as near too the birds flightline as possible and watching closely for their reaction.

I've got some good floaters :yes: but I think that when it comes down to it if the pigeons want to be where they want to be and if you are somewhere else you ain't gonna get much sport.

It's easy early on just after the harvest when all the young birds think the countryside is one big larder but later on when they have had a few near misses they are much harder to shoot no matter what you try and lure them with.

Frustrating isn't it :yes:

Ive just ordered a dozen FUDS, got to wait a fortnight for delivery though which is a shame!! Was hoping to try them on some peas this coming saturday. Hopefully they will be worth the wait.... :whistling:

i just brought some fud decoys they told me there a 2 week wait

I hope you boys are very patient :lol:

So in a nut shell.......................

Most people use 10+ decoys when decoying, yes? .............. So for £50 you get 12 decoys that are not very robust and dont work any better than any other decoy already available, BUT, They do pack down better :whistling:

Well additionally they allow for alternative field arrangement from sentry, and normal standing positions to feeding. So you have a degree of flexibility over other deeks, where a choice has to be made for shell feeders, full body feeders and full body uprights....but you're (chrispti) no-doubt already familar with their specifications and distributor claims. I think they give good vfm if you consider that to achieve a mixed pattern of feeders and sentry birds you'd require a range of plastic deeks to achieve the same. The Fud's would have been even better if they had been developed with some movement. I'd think this may have more to do with the brief being more for a multipurpose deek which would perform well on the water. I'd really like to read reviews from wildfowlers where they've been used on water as it's clear that their broad and robust metal pegs have a clear keel shape and enclosed universal instructions give a good deal of information on their use on the water.

Perhaps in time when the NRA recognise that the woodpigeon variant is most popular with the UK market we'll see some further development of the land based defcoys. I'd personally be in favor of some sort of wobble stick to convey movement in the pattern and much brighter White collar and wing markings.

That's my considered, objective stance on the FUDs...keep shooting down pigeons not opinions.

Haven't used the FUDS so can't comment, but I am a fan of the Silosocks. They look good especially when there is wind rushing through them, give very good movement which catches the eye. Even on still days they seem to work, I've read some people stuff the body on a calm day so they look more round, but I think all this does is make them more attractive to the shooter as I am not convinced there are any benefits doing this.

Secondly they pack well, I store 24 in my bucket seat with room to spare, and it feels like it's empty when I carry it.

Edited by Cosd

Haven't used the FUDS so can't comment, but I am a fan of the Solosocks. They look good especially when there is wind rushing through them, give very good movement which catches the eye. Even on still days they seem to work, I've read some people stuff the body on a calm day so they look more round, but I think all this does is make them more attractive to the shooter as I am not convinced there are any benefits doing this.

Secondly they pack well, I store 24 in my bucket seat with room to spare, and it feels like it's empty when I carry it.

I'm yet to see any silo socks in use. I was on the cusp of buying some as it seemed that the FUDs weren't readily available at the time. I was put off by three things

1) cost relative to quality- in my mind I couldn't reconcile the expense for thin polythene socks.

2) I'd read several comments as to they're lack of robustnesses

3) Dead calm days could potentially pose a problem.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that these points are perceptions and not based upon experience. I'll have to borrow some off a pal and try them out soon though as 24 in the seat and no weight is appealing. Are they shiny when wet?

I'm yet to see any silo socks in use. I was on the cusp of buying some as it seemed that the FUDs weren't readily available at the time. I was put off by three things

1) cost relative to quality- in my mind I couldn't reconcile the expense for thin polythene socks.

2) I'd read several comments as to they're lack of robustnesses

3) Dead calm days could potentially pose a problem.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that these points are perceptions and not based upon experience. I'll have to borrow some off a pal and try them out soon though as 24 in the seat and no weight is appealing. Are they shiny when wet?

1 Are they expensive? Not sure, not a lot more and even cheaper than some flocked shells. Again, I thought exactly the same but having used them would buy more no problem.

2 The build quality is very good, again very easy to pick them up without having experience and thinking they are flimsy. I think they are well made, mine were second hand, have been used plenty and shot a fair few times. the other day I decided to give them a sponge down to take off mud stains, they came out looking new.

3 Even on dead calm days they work, I think it's the shooter that sees them flat, I don't see the woodies reacting different to them on still days, the difference is just that on windy days they stand out much more cos of the movement, but the same goes for shell. The sock is a little stiff, so if it makes you feel better you can open the body out and they will stay inflated so to speak; i know cos I have done it on occasion :whistling:

They don't shine at all even in the rain when the suns out.

Well additionally they allow for alternative field arrangement from sentry, and normal standing positions to feeding. So you have a degree of flexibility over other deeks, where a choice has to be made for shell feeders, full body feeders and full body uprights....but you're (chrispti) no-doubt already familar with their specifications and distributor claims. I think they give good vfm if you consider that to achieve a mixed pattern of feeders and sentry birds you'd require a range of plastic deeks to achieve the same. The Fud's would have been even better if they had been developed with some movement. I'd think this may have more to do with the brief being more for a multipurpose deek which would perform well on the water. I'd really like to read reviews from wildfowlers where they've been used on water as it's clear that their broad and robust metal pegs have a clear keel shape and enclosed universal instructions give a good deal of information on their use on the water.

Perhaps in time when the NRA recognise that the woodpigeon variant is most popular with the UK market we'll see some further development of the land based defcoys. I'd personally be in favor of some sort of wobble stick to convey movement in the pattern and much brighter White collar and wing markings.

That's my considered, objective stance on the FUDs...keep shooting down pigeons not opinions.

Ref the duck fuds,

I do know a few fowlers from our club who bought some years ago.

I remember being told they were excellent space savers which enabled a shed load to be carried, but, out on the foreshore, a bit of a current or wind and they were all over the place and moved unrealistically.

I think these fellas still use them if they are shooting inland and pretty much use them as silhouette decoys to fill the pattern out.

Ref the duck fuds,

I do know a few fowlers from our club who bought some years ago.

I remember being told they were excellent space savers which enabled a shed load to be carried, but, out on the foreshore, a bit of a current or wind and they were all over the place and moved unrealistically.

I think these fellas still use them if they are shooting inland and pretty much use them as silhouette decoys to fill the pattern out.

So jack of all trades but master of none eh? Well that figures as the anchors that the ducks come with do look a little on the small side. I was playing with some 'antique' mallard deeks at the kelmarsh show on Sunday and commented how heavy carved deeks were. I suppose the old fashioned methods still stand up well against more modern offerings. Has anyone played with the geese versions. I saw the crow versions on decoyuk's stand and they looked pretty naff.

I bought some pigeon FUDs.Just a dozen to try out and they do look lifelike when out on the field.I have at times thought that i saw a real pigeon till i realised it was a decoy.They are very lifelike from a distance but they are a bit on the dull side.I will not be getting anymore just yet as i do not think they are all they are made out to be regarding pulling in the pigeons.Though i have found them to be fairly robust and have not suffered any breakages of the clips as some have. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I used silos for both pigeon and wildfowling and think that they're great on the other hand I've got a mate who tried the fud duck decoys and he had problems with them tipping over when he used them on the shore. I wouldnt go past sillos and when the pigeon and goose guides are using them thats good enough recommedation for me

I had a look at the FUD decoys with a couple of lads I shot with on Sunday and like previous comments I thought they looked a little on the small side to be realistic

and as I have 30 Sillosocks - I can't say I'll be changing them anytime soon

Les :blink: