how big a calibre for fox

redthunder

Hi i was wondering what was the biggest calibre rifle for fox ?? Ive got a .243 for fox and deer and a slot for a .270 but rather than buy two rifles i wondered if i could go for say a 25,06 and just have the one rifle i dont do a great amount of stalking but the one permission i got for deer the shots are around the 200 yards and the 243 on fallow doesn't quite have the knock down at this range also could i go lamping with a 25.06?:good:?? for fox ive heard mixed reports of people saying you can have any calibre for fox now. but i thought that you can only use say the 270 for fox if im out stalking and not go lamping for fox with such a high calibre. Whats your thoughts cheers :blink:

Hi i was wondering what was the biggest calibre rifle for fox ?? Ive got a .243 for fox and deer and a slot for a .270 but rather than buy two rifles i wondered if i could go for say a 25,06 and just have the one rifle i dont do a great amount of stalking but the one permission i got for deer the shots are around the 200 yards and the 243 on fallow doesn't quite have the knock down at this range also could i go lamping with a 25.06?:good:?? for fox ive heard mixed reports of people saying you can have any calibre for fox now. but i thought that you can only use say the 270 for fox if im out stalking and not go lamping for fox with such a high calibre. Whats your thoughts cheers :blink:

The .270 isn't a messy round. You get a messy round when you have a very light bullet and a high muzzle velocity.

Granted, you can get a messy .270 if you shoot 100grn bullets. However I find it a great fixing round and never had a messy shot.

I used to shoot foxes with a 30-06 and that's quite a round :oops:

The new wording reads..

...and any other lawful quarry...

This of course has led to more, and not less confusion, the general idea being that any calibre will be listed for you main quarry, and then the above phrase added.......so whatever you have it listed for you can go out to deliberately shoot foxes.

...and you can go out lamping with whatever you like!

have shot them at 100yds and seen them shot at 138yds paced with Hyper velocity .22LR and they went down without a twitch! (well they wouldnt when a 40gn piece of dum dum'd copper dipped lead has exploded inside their head!)

IMO most people underestimate the .22lr

I have a 6.5 x 55 for deer and shoot a few foxes as well, works for both. Fallow are strong animals and will often run a good distance before falling down stone dead, I had a doe a few weeks ago that I shot and she dissapeared into the laurel bushes 300 yds away from where she was shot, found her with just her head outside a thick pile of bushes, bullet had just clipped her heart, always amazes me how far they will go

doc

I use a .243 for fox with home load 65 grn hornady v-max, but before I started to load my own I was using 55grn honady v-max a real good fast accurate bullet. My advice is get a box and give them a try it"s a lot cheaper then a new riffle.

When I applyed for my FAC I put down fox and deer for my .243.

Hi :good: i think you got your wires crossed my 243 is super accurate :blush: and ive been loading my own for ages 58grain vmax for fox and 100 grain softpoint for deer what im asking is that the 243 doesn't have the knock down on fallow deer and is quite messy on roe deer south wales police have granted me a bigger calibre for deer but am i aloud to go lamping foxes with it or can i only use it on fox when im stalking. cheers. :yes: if so ill sell the 243 and go for a 25.06 or a 270 or 30.06 :yes:

25.06 is excellent for fox I have shot over 50 with one in the last 7 years I also have a .300WSM for fox as Dead is Dead and there is no such thing as over kill

Dont mess around with different bullets just use 100 or 120 grain for everything

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

Hi :good: i think you got your wires crossed my 243 is super accurate :blush: and ive been loading my own for ages 58grain vmax for fox and 100 grain softpoint for deer what im asking is that the 243 doesn't have the knock down on fallow deer and is quite messy on roe deer south wales police have granted me a bigger calibre for deer but am i aloud to go lamping foxes with it or can i only use it on fox when im stalking. cheers. :yes: if so ill sell the 243 and go for a 25.06 or a 270 or 30.06 :yes:

This seems to be getting unduly complicated, what exactly is the wording on your FAC, and if you have any concerns or doubts then simply ask them to add fox, seems a lot easier that getting a variation and selling and buying another calibre! :hmm:

There is nothing to stop you going out with a lamp at night whatever, you need one to see where you are walking apart form anything else don't you, so if you see a fox so what! :hmm:

This seems to be getting unduly complicated, what exactly is the wording on your FAC, and if you have any concerns or doubts then simply ask them to add fox, seems a lot easier that getting a variation and selling and buying another calibre! :blush:

There is nothing to stop you going out with a lamp at night whatever, you need one to see where you are walking apart form anything else don't you, so if you see a fox so what! :good:

Alrite dekers on my FAC, It say the .243 rifle and sound moderator and the ammunition shall be used for shooting fox/deer and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the person has lawful authority to soot. The .270 rifle and the ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which holder has lawful authority to shoot.

If you ask them nicely, perhaps (as has been mentioned) your licensing department will put "and any other lawful quarry" on your .270. This is the phrasing the ACPO committee on firearms came up with. Which means you could then blat foxes to your hearts content with either rifle.

If you fancy a change though :blush:

I have never used the 25-06 on fallow, but using 120gn ammunition, it should be fine. I use a 6.5x55 for foxes, fallow, roe and one munty (so far), it does the job nicely. Ammunition is easier to find for the 6.5 than for the 25-06, at least it is round here. If you reload then you will not have a problem. I have talked to a couple of gundealers lately (1 in Scotland) and they both said the 25-06 was gaining in popularity.

ft

Hmmmm !!!! :good: looks like your gonna have to ask Sara nicely mate, to get to the bottom of this seems as with everything to do with firearms nothing is in black and wihite its down to one persons interpretation, I'm of to have a look for charlie now :blush:

Just looked on the home office guidance for the issue of firearms website, nothing bigger than .243 for fox its not clear about a rifle for deer and fox though better ring her in the morning...................

Hmmmm !!!! :yes: looks like your gonna have to ask Sara nicely mate, to get to the bottom of this seems as with everything to do with firearms nothing is in black and wihite its down to one persons interpretation, I'm of to have a look for charlie now :good:

Just looked on the home office guidance for the issue of firearms website, nothing bigger than .243 for fox its not clear about a rifle for deer and fox though better ring her in the morning...................

Alrite tim, ill ring sara williams tomorrow and find out :hmm: ill give you a bell in the morning once ive spoken to here :blush: hope you bag charlie let me know :yes: were are you going down the pheasy shoot??

Alrite dekers on my FAC, It say the .243 rifle and sound moderator and the ammunition shall be used for shooting fox/deer and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the person has lawful authority to soot. The .270 rifle and the ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which holder has lawful authority to shoot.

The wording may not have changed yet but the ACPO ruling and intent have, you should not have any problem with fox now, if and when you send it back for its next variation it should come back with the wording...."and any other lawful quarry" .

A quick word with your region now should confirm this.

ATB!!

The wording may not have changed yet but the ACPO ruling and intent have, you should not have any problem with fox now, if and when you send it back for its next variation it should come back with the wording...."and any other lawful quarry" .

A quick word with your region now should confirm this.

ATB!!

Hi Spoke to F.E.O today and asked if i could have the .270 for fox and deer their answer was no :no: only for deer :hmm: . So i said i've been told by other people that you can :yes: , he said there's a new restriction come out recently but its only given out in special cases i said, explain to me what's a special case :no: he went on to say that its only for experienced shooters?? i said fine i'm on my second license with a open ticket for fox and deer but he said i'll have to open a case with the firearms manager and put it in writing and she has the final say :rolleyes:. what a load of shiite they change the rules all the time :/:no: It makes sense to give someone one rifle for everything than have a cabinet full surely

Hi Spoke to F.E.O today and asked if i could have the .270 for fox and deer their answer was no ....

I got mine, as did others, for 6.5x55, when I reasoned that to be sat with 2 rifles in a high seat or whilst stalking is totally impractical and possibly a danger.

Get BASC on it :rolleyes:

Hi Spoke to F.E.O today and asked if i could have the .270 for fox and deer their answer was no :no: only for deer :hmm: . So i said i've been told by other people that you can :yes: , he said there's a new restriction come out recently but its only given out in special cases i said, explain to me what's a special case :no: he went on to say that its only for experienced shooters?? i said fine i'm on my second license with a open ticket for fox and deer but he said i'll have to open a case with the firearms manager and put it in writing and she has the final say :rolleyes:. what a load of shiite they change the rules all the time :/:no: It makes sense to give someone one rifle for everything than have a cabinet full surely

That is daft, and another example of the different regions at work, my FAC has the new wording since a variation or two back, but it was conditioned for just about everything before anyway. Interestingly my .243 has always carried fox as well as deer, but my region were reluctant historically to allow fox on the .308, they argued it was "overkill", they relented eventually and then this ...any other lawful quarry took the place of everything but the deer!

Well, I may be "experienced" whatever that is meant to mean, but ACPO agreed the new wording to simplify life and make things more uniform around the UK...all it has ever done is raise more questions...!!! :/:)

Perhaps a quiet polite word with the Firearms Manager to resolve this is in order!! ATB!!