FAC pending, mentor required.

Dear all,

Just had my visit from the feo.

I've to send him a letter from my permission and details for a mentor.

Ill be getting granted for .17, .22, .223 with mods.

However I will require a mentor, Ive permission over a large portion of land in thames valley/surrey which has rabbits/muntjac/fox.

Is there anybody prepared to take on a padwan?

Dear all,

Just had my visit from the feo.

I've to send him a letter from my permission and details for a mentor.

Ill be getting granted for .17, .22, .223 with mods.

However I will require a mentor, Ive permission over a large portion of land in thames valley/surrey which has rabbits/muntjac/fox.

Is there anybody prepared to take on a padwan?

YOU HAVE A PM

DOC

What do they want the mentor for ?. Is it for the deer ,the fox or both ? . This mentoring malarky is getting past the joke . All part of the bigger picture of restricting the number of centre fire rifles . This rearly dos get up my nose . Its about time the BASC got involved in this one .

Harnser .

most people are required to have a mentor for deer shooting when they start around here, I have done a few. not a bad idea for people to go out with someone with experience to start with when shooting deer.

I remember after doing my DSC1 I was gratefull to my mentor for all I learnt, ( a lot more than I did on the DSC1)

Doc

Harnser I know it is abused in areas but with your centre fire experience would you expect youngsters with no rifle shooting experience to just be given a centrefire at initial grant?

The thing that really gets up my nose is that this mentoring thing is imposed with conditions and it is not actually required by law to be able to own a rifle . Some constabularys insist on it and others do not .

How have we managed over the years without mentors . I had a mentor when I first started shooting deer many ,many ,years ago . Not because it was insisted on by the police ,but because I wanted to learn how to shoot deer properly and humanely .

The next thing will be a fox shooting mentor and you wont be able to shoot foxes unless you have passed some unofficial fox shooting course run by certain organisations . Then a rabbit shooting mentor and another unofficial course for shooting rabbits . Look out everybody the wedge is being gently tapped in .

Harnser .

The thing that really gets up my nose is that this mentoring thing is imposed with conditions and it is not actually required by law to be able to own a rifle . Some constabularys insist on it and others do not .

How have we managed over the years without mentors . I had a mentor when I first started shooting deer many ,many ,years ago . Not because it was insisted on by the police ,but because I wanted to learn how to shoot deer properly and humanely .

The next thing will be a fox shooting mentor and you wont be able to shoot foxes unless you have passed some unofficial fox shooting course run by certain organisations . Then a rabbit shooting mentor and another unofficial course for shooting rabbits . Look out everybody the wedge is being gently tapped in .

Harnser .

the only problem is, can the new shooter be trusted with one out in the field. The majority of us are sensible and practical, but there is always a percentage that are either senseless, or just wronguns. I think the mentoring is a good idea, it's just a shame that it seems to be needed so frequently.

Harnser .

I think you have to look at it another way, if you just apply for a centrefire then should you be able to just go out and buy one and use it with no experience? logic says its a bad idea which gives two options training or a mentor but it should be the same no matter what the quarry that part is nonsense.

My route into centrefires was to have rimfires for about 4 years before applying and I got mine with no conditions because I showed a certain level of experience, Not crossed the Deer bridge yet but my force seem to apply common sense more than most

There is nothing wrong with a novice shooter seeking a mentor to show him the ropes . In my humble opinion what is wrong, is for the police to insist on shooters being mentored when the criteria for owning a rifle dos not require it . May be the home office should make mentoring part of the licencing proceedure ,then it would be common practice throught the country . Remember , the police do not make the laws of this country , their job to inforce the laws . Owning fire arms if you meet the criteria is a right , not a privillage doled out by the police .

Harnser .

I appear to have started a minor debate.

Several have got back to me and as usual its greatly appreciated.

Right or wrong, the mentoring situation seems ok to me, cant begrudge it.

I guess if someone went mad shooting lots of people wed want to know what had been done to check the person out. This seems like buck passing to me, but there it is.

Thanks again to all who replied to me.

Jon. :blush:

Harnser, you're right in what you say and its not legally enforceable. Having said that, I agree with mentoring 100% and cant see a problem with it.

Jon, if you get stuck (which is most unlikely) I'd be happy to tag along and pass on what little I've learned, either at yours or mine. Go out with as many different people as you reasonably can and take your time, especially if you're going lamping.

Harnser, you're right in what you say and its not legally enforceable. Having said that, I agree with mentoring 100% and cant see a problem with it.

Jon, if you get stuck (which is most unlikely) I'd be happy to tag along and pass on what little I've learned, either at yours or mine. Go out with as many different people as you reasonably can and take your time, especially if you're going lamping.

Cheers Harnsner, ive a couple of people sorting me out. But as soon as i get opened up ill be up for a recip trip. :blush:

Harnser

It seems that it's only old fools like us who do not agree with this mentoring malarkey. The newcomers to our sport have grown up with New Labour's draconian approach to certification and training for everything that they accept such nonsense as a normal sensible requirement and in many cases welcome it with open arms as a badge of honor to post on their Facebook Page.

What you fail to appreciate is the fact that we the people are a rather stupid bunch who could not possibly show an ounce of common sense and have to be trained to use a condom let alone a rifle.

You will note that there have been so many shooting accidents involving sporting rifles that mentoring has virtually become a compulsory requirement in order to combat this unprecedented rise which has seen the dead and wounded littering the countryside.

Whilst this is still in topic,

i need a letter from the owner of my permission to give the FEO.

What wording would i require?

I want to print it out for him to sign to minimise hassle for him.

Thanks in advnace.

The wording on my SGC was

"I (land owner) give (your name and address) permission to use (type of gun) on my land to control (what your shooting) [signature]"