strange but true - volcanic ash closes airports

Ozzy Fudd

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great all UK airspace is now closed, I was supposed to be flying down to Redhill this morning, now sitting in my office twiddling my thumbs :good:

harfordwmj: yes all turbine engines are bird strike tested, but thats lab conditions which never replicates 'real world', I haven't come across an engine thats been hit and not been shut down, all the test does is make sure the engine doesnt make metal which is obviously a bad thing!

I had a 767 land at EMA just before xmas last year what hit two geese , one hit the wing edge the other went through the engine and bent three blades , they didnt shut down the engine either , lucky i guess ..

Any way on a plus side i have the night off as i hav no aircraft to play with :good:

As they have grounded all the planes today over most of europe.

someone today asked me, what if its due to another planned 9 11 attack?

I cant see any volcanic ash?

There's a lot of people here at my work who are messed up due to this travel chaos and I did think about spreading such a rumour as above (yes, I'm bored).

There's a lot of people here at my work who are messed up due to this travel chaos and I did think about spreading such a rumour as above (yes, I'm bored).

oooh thats eviiiil! :good:

having said that, i thought of similar earlier, however i was going to say it was to do with the plane crash that killed the polish president, make it a bit more believeable :good:

Just had a call from my brother in law through skype to tell me that his flight had been cancelled. He cannot get back untill tuesday so he is stuck in Florida for another five days. The ******* was sitting by the pool in his mate's house.

Well gents, I'm spending the night at a hotel in Surrey hoping that our flight tomorrow afternoon gets to go. We were supposed to fly this morning from Manchester. We got to the airport at 9 AM to find that it was cancelled. Flights were still leaving Heathrow plus the next flight to get us out of Manchester was Monday, so we rented a car and drove to Heathrow (travel agent rebooked tickets). Flight was cancelled halfway through the drive, but we still have tickets on a 7 Am flight and a 5 PM flight tomorrow. Obviously the 7 AM is out now, so hopefully the 5 PM will go.

We need to get to PIttsburgh, PA for a wedding on Saturday. My wife is the maid of honor. Our last shot is the 5 PM flight, which gets us into NYC at 8 PM, and we'll drive another 6 hours to get in by about 2 in the morning.

Its been a long day, and tomorrow could well be longer.

Thanks

Rick

oooh thats eviiiil! :good:

having said that, i thought of similar earlier, however i was going to say it was to do with the plane crash that killed the polish president, make it a bit more believeable :cry1:

It's got something to do with alleged moon landings :good:

Clear blue sky over me now!

Is this not Elf and saftey gone mad?

If they can view it on a satalite as below why not just stay clear of it? It is not even over the UK!

1iceland_volcano466.jpg

That was taken yesterday at 6am before NATS shutdown UK airspace, its now making its way over, looks like we are going to be shutdown for another 48 hours...joy!

The problem is its very difficult to track, you then have the microscopic dust which is just as bad as the main cloud!

5iceland_volcano466.jpg

Edited by agusta

Had a call from a mate last who had flown from Tripoli to Malta for weekend off (he works in Libya) 8 of their guys due back to the UK were left sat at Tripoli no idea when they can get back to the UK. Soem have been out there for 2 months and were well hacked off!

Feel for you mate!

Well gents, I'm spending the night at a hotel in Surrey hoping that our flight tomorrow afternoon gets to go. We were supposed to fly this morning from Manchester. We got to the airport at 9 AM to find that it was cancelled. Flights were still leaving Heathrow plus the next flight to get us out of Manchester was Monday, so we rented a car and drove to Heathrow (travel agent rebooked tickets). Flight was cancelled halfway through the drive, but we still have tickets on a 7 Am flight and a 5 PM flight tomorrow. Obviously the 7 AM is out now, so hopefully the 5 PM will go.

We need to get to PIttsburgh, PA for a wedding on Saturday. My wife is the maid of honor. Our last shot is the 5 PM flight, which gets us into NYC at 8 PM, and we'll drive another 6 hours to get in by about 2 in the morning.

Its been a long day, and tomorrow could well be longer.

Thanks

Rick

Just to let you know - all is back to normal

Manx Airlines are operating flights normally from Belfast City to Isle of Man & Blackpool so that is the volcano crisis over!

:good:

LOL my parents were due to fly to Manx this morning from Liverpool, flight was cancelled last night but they managed to get on the ferry and have just docked, clear sky and sunny apparently Sea was flat calm.

I do feel for those stuck in Limbo especially at airports not a great place to be at the best of times.