Take a novice out .

Harnser

you do have to be careful as uve mostly said,a freind of mine fell out with a guy who he got signed off on his land ,the kid went there every day from work,and weekends,he overshot the land.ruined it for my mate,thats one of the things u have to consider,in shooting out on the land ive found there are a lot of people who have no qualms about taking over as it were.has anyone else had this happen?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it wasnt for three shooters on here who took me out then i would of never got started on the path to shooting , i have since repaid my part and let a work mate have one of my permissions for pigeon shooting so he can now go when he wants , no point in holding loads of land and not sharing a little

The first time I shot game, obviously was part of an organised father/'child day'. The shots were all realted to people the host had shot with before. Created enough trust whilst still bringing new people into shooting. The fathers/mothers weren't guns themselves, but there to ensure everything went well. I think that solved the trust question well

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea for some of us more experianced pigeon shooters to take a local novice out with us just to show them the ropes . I know how hard it can be to get permission to shoot on farms and thought that an introduction to the sport from a grumpy old pigeon shooter may help them to gain a little bit of experiance , which could help them with their search for their own permissions .

Harnser .

I would like to take a trip out with you Harnser, I wanna know how you pull the birds in at your age.

i am mentoring a lad off of here and took down on my permission i got him to rack off about a dozen shots at my target and he was a very confident shot. so we went for a spin around the farm and a lovely big dog fox produced himself in perfect conditions so i handed over the rifle and he claimed his first fox ever throu the 243 at 80/90 yrds he was well pleased with his shot as was i well done john :look:

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea for some of us more experianced pigeon shooters to take a local novice out with us just to show them the ropes . I know how hard it can be to get permission to shoot on farms and thought that an introduction to the sport from a grumpy old pigeon shooter may help them to gain a little bit of experiance , which could help them with their search for their own permissions .

Harnser .

just thought i would add harnser,

my answers in this thread are for rifle shooting only,as i do not own shotguns(used to have one when younger),so more guns may be good when pigeon shooting,as compared to rifle shooting.

al

I have taken one newbie member of PW out with me after many mail chats, feeling confident with him that he wanted to learn and not just blast away with a gun.

A PW vetting and verification I think would be a good idea.

I will start the ball rolling hopefully and verfiy that COSD is a top genuine bloke and glad to say i made a new mate as well as a shooting buddy :look:

i am mentoring a lad off of here and took down on my permission i got him to rack off about a dozen shots at my target and he was a very confident shot. so we went for a spin around the farm and a lovely big dog fox produced himself in perfect conditions so i handed over the rifle and he claimed his first fox ever throu the 243 at 80/90 yrds he was well pleased with his shot as was i well done john :look:

I was the boy in question.

What a gent to take me out, had a bloody great evening, once again Noel thank you for all your help.

And my first Fox :lol:

Jon.

It's thanks to albob that I got my first rabbit :good:

not the one from the pet shop? :good::good: kidding matey.

it was the only rabbit i had seen for ages and you shot it!!

yourself and another lad off here have been out with me and hopefully learnt something and hopefully help in the future of the sport.

it is good to put something back into the sport.

al

Edited by albob

I have taken several people off forums onto my land, one still shoots and gets him ammo paid for by the farm as he's so effective.

I'm more than happy to give someone a 'leg up', but with my experience limited really to airgun until recently I can't accept other novice powder burning people.

Problem is knowing how well you'll get on, I've had a bad experience with one person of a forum who took a liberty, ended up with me going out at stupid o'clock on the quad to find him and a mate, without telling me he was on the farm, and nearly ended up with me giving him the good news with my right hand.

well, i've now got back onto my main permission, loads of little ones about at the moment, lots of fox, muntjac, squirrel, crow, even some reds, I'll be keeping an eye out for some help, maybe do some swaps for some pigeon shooting as i don't do much of that.

:good:

Squirrels! What do they taste like? mmmm..forbidden squirells

I think its a very good idea to take novice shooters in to the field and show them what its all about and that is being safe and enjoying your days out in the field .

Ive taken a fair few guys out from this site now and have made some friends through doing so ,only had 1 bad experience with taken some one from this site ,they seemed to think it was all about shooting of loads of shells and after 5 mins in the hide they were telling me they was bored and this was a guy in his 40s never took him out again . But most have been very friendly and thanked me no end :good:

I think its a very good idea to take novice shooters in to the field and show them what its all about and that is being safe and enjoying your days out in the field .

Ive taken a fair few guys out from this site now and have made some friends through doing so ,only had 1 bad experience with taken some one from this site ,they seemed to think it was all about shooting of loads of shells and after 5 mins in the hide they were telling me they was bored and this was a guy in his 40s never took him out again . But most have been very friendly and thanked me no end :good:

tottally agree on taking novices out ! Tom took me out on my first ever pigeon shooting trip and first time shooting a shot gun really , with out his help and stuff i prob would have not got in to it as i have and probably not got my SGC as going with him convinced me to get one ! and made a new friend in the process , Cheers Tom ! once i get some more land ( lost old permission ) i will take new guys out to give them the chance i got ! :good:

Harnser .

Harnser, I have been fortunate enough to have been taken out by Deny essex, and he has been a fountain of knowledge for me. I live on the outskirts of London and gaining shooting permision has not been productive as yet. Not only have we been out a number of times in the last year or so, but we have become good buddies. Yes he moans and groans about his bad back, but I reckon he's fit as a fiddle, he just does this so I can lump his gear around when we can't drive to our spot.

So in answer to your question, I think it's a good idea to take newbies or people without permisions out, you never know you could meet a new buddy!

i take 6 other lads out on to my permissions ,

i guess the only thing most think of these days is will they over step the mark and try and muscle in on their permissions

guess thats why alot of guys wont take anyone these days incase they loose their shooting

as up here in the north east its pretty hard to get any permission on any land as its mostly syndicates and own by estates

some of us up here are lucky enough to get on some of the farms to shoot

not saying any new shooter would try to muscle in , but a lot of guys are cautious to take anyone on shooting with them these days

but i dare say a few will take new shooters with them and some wont