Never buy an X5 for off roading

Billy.

This is how to cross a stream.

post-672-1272653301.jpg

Aaaah. a Landy being used properly, always a pleasing sight. :good:

Although I was almost tempted to part with my Disco after watching the X5 vid :good::good::yes:

All you people taking the mickey out of the X5 should just remember, some of the puddles on the way to school are quite deep and speed humps of the way to the football training ground are at least 4" high. :yp:

am I the only one who would class that as gross stupidity :good: taking a new landy that deep when you just know its going to start filling with water as the door seals will be lacking just shows more money than sense :good:

...it's only water. :good:

am I the only one who would class that as gross stupidity :good: taking a new landy that deep when you just know its going to start filling with water as the door seals will be lacking just shows more money than sense :good:

Trouble is Alex, they do survive that level of water....I've had water up to the middle of the doors and nothing got in!

Not the same as landies of old :good:

Trouble is Alex, they do survive that level of water....I've had water up to the middle of the doors and nothing got in!

Not the same as landies of old :yes:

Hey, so what even if the door seal does decide to leak a little, just take a bar of soap on the dashboard and then the wife can't say you have come home stinking of fox! :good::good::good:

I nearly wet myself when I watched the bit where the guy is spotting for the X5 going through the stream at the beginning.

Oh and if the X5 is so good, why's there a Defender 110 at the end :good:

Watch and laugh:

Hysterical I get deeper water when I pressure wash the cars on the driveway and spotting

where someone has evidentally knocked over a bucket of water priceless. Maybe they

should see how you do it in a plain old station wagon......................

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

and BTW I will be selling my 98 Outback Wagon in May offers around £950 pm if you would like details

What a load of wotsits!

I've been to Namibia, and driven along the northern border by the Kunene River. They should have taken these cars there. At times my Landy struggled, you had to build the roads in places where the flash flood s had washed them away.

God knows how much that piece of marketing cost them.

Andy

Gosh- I am so impressed with the performance of an X5 -I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, The bit that really impressed me was when they drove past the Rhinos. Those BM's must be sooooo reliable - looks like that one even made it as far as Longleat! (AKA namibia)

Classic.

X5 Owner, showing off his skills:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

Landy owner showing off his skills:

All this talk about 'off roading' reminds me of the time that the old man and me went to our allotment with a few bags of top soil to drop off one night in the Touareg. Roll off the gravel path onto the mud track, "yeah drive down there, sod carting it 100 yards."

5 yards in, "maybe stick the diff locks in were sliding, and the low range while your at it."

10 yards, " ****, i'm gonna find some bricks to put under the tyres"

still 10 yards "Who do we know with a 4 x4 and towing strops"

1hr later and still 10 yards with a high output cherokee pulling and the toe-rag pushing we managed to get out.

Got home and recived the rollocking of a life time because the dinner was cold and we had trod mud through the house.

Moral of the story is, if you want to go off road, get a propper car and not a school-run tarts motor. :look:

That Landy vid is insane, most impressive. Does anyone have an opinion on the offroad ability of the grand cherokee, or are we still talkiing a souped up school bus? I was considering one.

Thats what pulled us out of the mud, but it was driving on a hardcore/gravel track and we were upto the sump in mud. I personally think its all down to the tyres.

I have a customer with a ford deeper than that at the end of his drive and he goes through in an ELise! and been through deeper puddles on the road.

Also if you watch Road to Dakar with McGregor and Boorman? They had an X5 support vehicle modified by Scorpion racing? They broke down more than those on the dakar! Computer issues sensors died, Suspension Broke, all sorts......

Considering most X5 wont go on a school playing field the Video is Extreme for X5 owners!

I's wager a 90 on road tyres out off-roading most others on all terrains.

definatley....the thing is with all this, you would have though they'd have improved the abilities for the X6 hahaha

pathetic!!!

and for the records my defender has done 93mph (no, not down hill lol) and averages around 26/7 mpg

and when i get round to it, getting it remapped it will do around the 115/120 mark

approach/ departure angles, ramp breakover and suspension articulation is where the 90 has it - with the same tyres on as another vehicle, I think they would be very similar. Not sure how much better a centre difflock is over a rear one though....

Hiya, Last year, my mate used his X5 to tow his 18 foot Raider to Drummore in SW Scotland for the Sharkatag Event...anyway, they eventually got there, all be it they were all seasick on arrival, due to the car/boat porpoising all the way on the 3.1/2 hour journey at anything over 45-50mph.....then when they tried to drive onto the sandy beach, it got bogged down straight away...actually, it was the ONLY car to do that out of maybe a couple of dozen other 4 x 4's....so, I used my beat up old Challenger to launch the boat, into 18inches foot of water....and then after the day, the X5 wouldnt pull the boat out of the water, so....guess who did it again for them...what a waste of metal that thing is....should be kept for mums doing the school run..:lol::)

The whole X5 escapade is on vid somewhere...I'll see if I can find it from one of the guys..:lol:

Pic of the conditions..:lol: and the forlorn X5 Crew walking behind..:rolleyes:

towingtheraiderb-1.jpg