help!! hmr accuracy gone to pot

Ozzy Fudd

ive put about 300 rounds through the hmr so far so gave it a good clean last night (was told to clean it every couple of hundred rounds til its broken in). used plenty of bore cleaner (had to to get the bore snake through it) and pulled it through 9 or 10 times to get it spotless. took it out today and the first couple of rounds at 100 yards which were near bang on, but after that i was getting shotgun pattern groups :oops: thought it might have just needed the barrel fouled up a bit more but after 80 rounds the groups were still terrible. all the ammo ive been using so far has been from the same batch, and the scope seems ok; on monday i bagged 7 rabbits between 60 and 177 yards and managed to hit a target at 294 yards, the only thing thats changed is giving it a clean last night.

any ideas about what might be wrong? would another clean maybe help? o should i pu another couple of boxes through it? :oops:

Don`t know about the HMR, but I had the same prob with a .22lr.

Don`t clean them !!!!!

Exactly, only clean them when accuracy is no longer there, then a few pulls through with a bore snake should get you back on target.

They need a bit of **** in the barrel to keep them accurate :oops:

Mods not loose is it, I can sympathise with ya, this little gun drives me round the bend but everytime I decide to sell it, it does something wonderful. I have tried shooting dirty and clean and it still drives me nuts. Did you take the stock off to clean it or was it just a barrel job? Was it still shooting accuratly when you decided to clean it or was that the reason you decided to clean it. If accuracy tailed off before you decided to give it a good clean you may not have removed the copper properly.

Clean it again with a copper solvent, powder solvent first,patches, then copper solvent ,patches then powder solvent again and final clean through. Check the crown for damage, is it ok? Make sure there is no wind and you can keep the gun still(bags or bipod). Test it out at 45yds and feed rounds in through top one by one, this will rule out any problems with bolt pick up(sometimes esp on CZ the bullet can get marked if not picked up properly.)

Sometimes when practicing out at 100yds you can get frustrated and your shooting will suffer, especially if you are not achieving what you expected( if that makes sense )

Try 50 of another brand of ammo and see what happens.

Check scope mounts.

Unless something drastic has happened then you should be able to find your way back to accuracy but if like me, it will cost you a few quid in lead.

cheers mate, sorry i should have said more. theres no mod on the gun, so thats ok, second the last 25 rounds fired i did feed singly (just incase), did all the usual breathing techniques (took my time and didnt rush), accuracy was spot on on monday (7 rabbits between 60 and 177 yards and a jcb bucket at 294 yards :oops:), and it was just a barrel job with a bore snake and bisley bore cleaner. was slight wind earlier today but for the last 25 rounds there was none, and the bipod seemed steady. also checked the crown and it looked fine, again nothings happened it between monday and today :oops:

ill give it a good clean with patches tomorrow and see what happens, fingers crossed :oops:

I had a bit of copper in my barrel during running in, once I had got rid of that it doesnt seem to copper foul now. Just got some Brunnox from my RfD and I'm sure my hummer is more accurate with using it, don't know why(was using parker hale 303 before.)

:oops: I clean mine only if the zero goes off or around 500 rounds. One thing you havent mentioned is your mod....can you strip it and if so, have a look inside after 300 rounds it will be filthy, I had lot of probs with my zero until i got rid of cheap mods and bought a decent one, now it is soooooo much better.What mod are you using?

Seriously, you would not believe how filthy a round it is!!! :oops:

HMR is not the same as 22LR, as there is copper involved. Copper fouling will cause a problem, and you will need to use copper solvent with patches (NOT a boresnake) to get that properly clean.

as above.

the boresanke is used dry and is used only after shooting without any solvents on it.

did you leave the copper solvent in for a while,as this will help breakdown the copper build up and then run a brass brush with copper solvent on it.

i then use patches and check it for copper..ie green on the patch(not seen this on my hmr to be honest) and they mainly come out black,so i keep putting patches through till they come out clean.i do this twice if the patches seem really black.(oil is only used if the gun is left in storage)

i then shoot it and the accuracy should come in from 20 shots onwards and then i rarely clean,the odd boresanke now and again.

i only clean when the accuracy goes off,as stated by others.

al

Edited by albob

On the few and rare occasions that I decide to clean my HMR I use Brunox Turbo Spray. I allow time for it to soak in well and then pull it through with a bronze brush several times. This is then followed by half a dozen patches (Till they come out clean). Then I just put a couple of drops of either Abbey or Bisley Gun Oil on a mop and pulle that through 4 or 5 times and that is that. (Don't overdo the amount of oil you use) I rarely have to put more than one magazine (5 Shots) of ammo through it to get it back on zero.

It sounds like there might have been traced of copper fouling that you have not managed to clear properly yet mate!

Just as a foot note - How many glasses (Or bottles) of Vodka had you had before checking the zero Ozzy, too many can seriously effect the accuracy of your rifle. :oops::oops::oops:

Edited by Frenchieboy

I'm sorry to say but for cleaning a rifle a bore-snake is the biggest load of cr*p there is. More damage is done to rifle barrels with bore-snakes then anything else. The only thing they are any good for is creating work for riflesmiths. My local chap spends more time getting out jammed bore-snakes from hmr's then building rifles.

Chuck the bore-snake and buy yourself a proper cleaning kit, including a bore guide, and do the job properly. Get rid of that copper which is undoubtedly your problem.

Gun cleaning is always a subject of great debate with many viewpoints, and this thread demonstrates it yet again.

I struggle with views of, a bit of **** in the barrel makes it shoot better, or it takes 20-40-60-or more, rounds to settle down, or its worse now I've cleaned it, etc, etc.

The problem will not be resolved here, and more posts of this nature will follow in the weeks and months to come.

I was bought up in the target world of .22lr many years ago, and whilst engineering, cleaners, ammo etc may have improved, I still believe nothing makes you shoot as well as a properly maintained and clean gun!!

ATB!! :oops:

thanks everyone. i changed scope mounts last night and im going to give the gun a full clean later today, the cleaning kit i have for the 22 has bits to fit the hmr (i think :oops:) and ill stick plenty of patches through too. havnt ruled the scope out yet, im waiting on a new mount to arrive, once it comes ill fit the laser on, so if by some chance its the scope ill see the laser dot bouncing around the cross hairs next time i go out :oops:

Good luck with it, I know I have had my frustrations with the little calibre as I have said before. I don't think much of the pull throughs, only any good as a quick fix out in the field. Its such a small hole down the barrel you have to be careful, I have a .17hmr rod, parker hale I think, but the grey plastic on the rod started to lift a bit, it doesnt take much to make it stiff in the barrel. Now I have a bronze welding rod that I have knurled on the end to grip the cloth and fitted it to the parker hale rotating handle, works a treat. You have to be careful not to damage the entrance to the chamber, there are guides available though I don't use one.

I've only had accuracy problems after a full clean with the phosphor bronze brush. All I do now is push 4/5 patches through, or until they come out clean, job done :oops:

I thought the .17 hmr bullet was coated with something to stop copper fouling? :oops:

did a full clean earlier, scrubbed with the copper brush (carefully) tho couldnt get any patches through as the jag was too wide for the 17 (for a 22) so pulled through a few times with the bore snake. ill be getting a proper hmr cleaning kit soon but hopefully thatll have it sorted :good:

Just out of interest Ozzy which end are you inserting that bronze brush ?.

Are you saying the rod in yor .22 cleaning kit will go down a .17 barrel :good:

To echo earlier advice ...........get the proper gear including a bore guide (very important )which are optional and come seperate .