wild boar whats the best calibre ???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything bigger than .270 seems to be the general opinion. Many smaller guns will do the job just as well but for use in the UK that's the accepted rule.

I'd go for a .308 or .30-06 unless you want to shoot them in France. I which case military calibres are banned so perhaps .270 or a small .30 magnum would be better?

it's not something i have any plans for, but everything i've read the 6.5mm seems to be ok for it.

For larger Board 130gr with 1200 ftlb is recommended - and the 6.5mm fits that bill.

this talk of large Boards will put you in the same camp as the fridge blasters if you're not careful :lol:

On the story of shooting pigs well the bigger the better seems the general opinion,

cheers all , 308 it is . :lol:

Id recommend 7mm-08

here's why:

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem-13...-superformance/

against the 308

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-150-gr-SST/

because the bullets have better balistic coeffients it gets there faster and with more energy at 300+ yards (see the above)

within 300 it will do the job just aswell with over 2000ftlbs at 200 and 2686ftlbs at the muzzle (see the above)

it is flatter shooting (see the above)

Its recoil is substancially less

Its cheap to reload as its a very brass friendly cartridge (meaning you can reload the same cartridge a fair few times)

I shoot loads with the .308, but I must say my favorite piggy gun is my 9.3x62, fast is not allways best with herr piggy, a big hole and loads of energy into him is what is needed.I have shot pig in the boiler room at 60 meters with the .308, not had an exit wound and have then had to carry out follow up.................this is a dangerous and pant filling experience with a large male boar if he is still alive when you arrive.

I think this topic also needs to be qualified with a part II - BULLET WEIGHT

The wonderful 6.5 x 55, will shoot from 70 to 160 gn. I therefore ask which do you want to shoot at a big ol` boar that is coming at you @ mach 3 ?

7mm-08 does 100 to 195 so quite a thump.

9mm to 35`s will be big slow lumpzalead which will impart a lot of energy on piggy wiggy.

Horses for courses but I would go for large calibre, at least 1/2 a mm bigger than my cannon ???

Borrowed a rifle this weekend to test, it was a .260.................pig is not a caliber for this gun, had a nightmare.It is too fast, the bullet too light, shot a 140 grain, and ended up having to search for wounded piggy.I also shot a roe and it went down like a sack of spuds.Think I will stick to the bigger slower bullets for piggy.

The place in France where I shoot Boar the minimum specified calibre is .375 I was buzzing when I sent in the variation for a .375 H&H and got it granted straight away without question just off the back of that one letter.

I certainly would recommend something that hits really hard as opposed to something that hits fast.My first Boar a big tusker was hit cleanly through the heart and raked the lungs and it kept coming, my second shot which was a bit in haste smashed it's right shoulder and it was still coming at me,thanfully it dropped at about 40yds away and as I made in it was still frothing and grunting.The only other suggestion I have is for a 1oz solid slug through a 12 which is what I use if I'm shooting driven boar.

Mike...

.270's ar very marginal when it comes to wild boar and the 6.5 swede is even more marginal still. To a point where you're dicing with disaster. Unless you are going to restrict yourself to weaners.

As has been said earlier you need something with a .3 at the front minimum. Even then the light stuff is marginal. Mr and Mrs Porker's shoulder blades take some penetrating.

As a sure fire pig dropper the 9.3's take a lot of beating

The usual replies, people thinking get the biggest cannon they can lay their hands on and all will be fine.

I witnessed (not read on the internet somewhere) a boar shot too far back with a .375 and it didn't even slow down, it was dropped on the spot by the next gun with a well placed .308 bullet.

And here is a little weaner shot dead on the spot with a very marginal 6.5x55...

P1040229.jpg

Stuartp.jpg

The usual replies, people thinking get the biggest cannon they can lay their hands on and all will be fine.

I witnessed (not read on the internet somewhere) a boar shot too far back with a .375 and it didn't even slow down, it was dropped on the spot by the next gun with a well placed .308 bullet.

And here is a little weaner shot dead on the spot with a very marginal 6.5x55...

P1040229.jpg

Stuartp.jpg

Hey Dunkield..... bet you weren't aware you and I shot with a 'very marginal' calibre!! :good: