pump action shotguns

jcbruno

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Remington 870 Wingmaster pump which is now used as a back-up gun in case anything goes wrong with the Beretta. It did recently... The recoil buffer sheared on my Urika 391, and had to wait a while on the part arriving.

Quite fun to dig the pump action out every so often :good:

..put any cart through it, better then a semi.

+1 No messing about changing recoil springs or gas pistons, plus none of that cleaning gas ports rubbish and stripping every time you go out with it.

A brush through the barrel and away it goes.. maybe a strip down every few weeks.

:good: Much better then a semi, some people can even pump as fast as they can pull the trigger so no disadvantage there :good:

I like my 870 Wingmaster better than any gun I've ever owned. I dont notice any snobbery, but thats probably because I'm convinced it's better than anyone elses anyway :good:

I've shot clays with it for a year or so, but I confess I've returned to a semi-auto for now, simo pairs were getting a real strain :lol: However, I bought a Rem 1100 specifically because it feels the same as my 870 :good:

The 870 still gets used to decoying etc, and it may get a reprise for clays too soon :lol:

This just happened to come to mind...

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

On a more serious note pumps are just as capable as any other shotgun if you have the skill to rack the slide without your aim wobbling all over the place..unfortunately i dont have that skill though :good:

Edited by agjm

I have owned a couple of pump actions, but was never quick enough with a pump. Leaving John Bidwell aside - only seen him on film - John Stafford is the only person, I have seen in the flesh, who could operate a pump fast enough to win anything at Clay Pigeon shooting. Rough shooting - different proposition.

Chard - I'm a bit unsure as to why you are attracting flak - takes all sorts. Don't let it get to you. :good::good:

A brush through the barrel and away it goes.. maybe a strip down every few weeks.

:good:

ive had both my pumps nearly 18 months now, i think theyve both been stripped own about 3 times :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps one thing to note, having to rack the slide stops you getting trigger happy and forces you to slow down, gives you time to properly reacquire the target - my hit ratio definitely improved when i got one :good:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

:lol:

ive had both my pumps nearly 18 months now, i think theyve both been stripped own about 3 times :LOL :lol: :lol:

ps one thing to note, having to rack the slide stops you getting trigger happy and forces you to slow down, gives you time to properly reacquire the target - my hit ratio definitely improved when i got one :good:

I'm being extremely generous.. TBH I clean mine about once a month, thats barrels and a complete strip.. you're right though, don't have to do it that often at all!

I'll do mine if I'm bored an there's nothin on TV :good:

I'll add that if it was any other shotgun other then the M500, I probably wouldn't be as lax, it's just so bludy well made.

:lol:

Interesting conversation, I think in Canada we may view things slightly differently not to say we don't have gun snobs but believe me we have many Rambo types, guns are more easily acquired in Canada and being rate next to the USA we have many types on the market. Its highly unfortunate that some shooters throw there noses up at others unity is the key to keeping our right and liberty to carry on the tradition. I will be completely honest i own pumps here in Canada because that is all i can afford i don't go after clays very often except for the time the last engineer aka martin took me with his truley beautiful berreta's and brownings thanks again Martin :good: , other than that its mostly upland bird and ducks and geese every second year as well the spring thrower at the range now and then for some easy fun. I am more of a rifle shooter i own 1 pistol 2 full bore hunting rifles 3 old service rifles and 5 rimfires and living on a Army budget with 3 great kids i don't complain my 2 shotguns might as well be blaser o/u's to me.

In North America especially in the rural areas almost everyone hunts from 5 year olds to 70 year old ladies if you are a family who makes there living off of farming,fishing,logging or mining a 300 dollar rem 870,mossberg,win 1300 or if you spend a little more on browning pump, benelli you have a shotgun for all types of winged game can get in the early big game season with slugs and if your fishing down by the creek bear defence, and dont forget the racoons living under your deck and some leisure hunting on the rabbits,gophers and tree squirels. in Canada it's considered an honest working mans field gun, to say its no good and only used by Rambo types leaves me confused, don't completely believe chard was trying to say that i believe he was making the view point of some known :good::lol: were all still friends

I've got a synthetic Browning BPS Stalker. Being limited to 2+1 is a pain but I think you have the same restriction when you're bird hunting in Canada?

I'm thinking of selling mine. I never keep guns for that long and this one just never seems to get used. Any kind of formal shoot here really looks down on autos and pumps, even to the point that it restricts you a bit on where you can take them! Being black synthetic doesn't help, perhaps I should try to get some wood for it?

And on that note, how much could you pick up a used BPS stock and fore end for in Canada? :lol::good:

i thought you were loving your bps neil, LOL next time you come to Canada and if you bring it and happen to leave it behind lol i wont say nothing if you dont lol :good:

This just happened to come to mind...

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

On a more serious note pumps are just as capable as any other shotgun if you have the skill to rack the slide without your aim wobbling all over the place..unfortunately i dont have that skill though :good:

Classic, the best, always makes me laugh, :good::lol::lol:

Alan

I've had several pump/ semi's over the years, from a beretta teknys gold (god i miss that gun) down to a mossberg 12g hushpower, really enjoyed all of them, got rid of most of them now except the spas, it's not even the best of them, it just floats my boat so to speak. I don't think i'm trying to be like rambo when i go out with it, i just enjoy shooting with it. If we ever get infested with zombies then you can all give me a call, i'll sort them out for you ok, then you might be grateful for a big badass military semi. :good:

Had a manufrance 12g pump for a little while now and i love it,full choke its good for pigeon or lamping rabbits,stripped it down when i bought it and nothing needed attention, obviously built to last,also got a hatsan semi and a baikal sxs and am very happy with my guns :good:

Had a manufrance 12g pump for a little while now and i love it,full choke its good for pigeon or lamping rabbits,stripped it down when i bought it and nothing needed attention, obviously built to last,also got a hatsan semi and a baikal sxs and am very happy with my guns :good:

thats what its all about brother, i know lots of country dwellers where i live that have 60 year old 303 lee-enfield's and old winchester 30-30 rifles not to mention 1960's production winchester and remington shotguns that have found no need to upgrade and have put thousands of pounds of venison in the freezer over the years, its about enjoying what you got and what you can afford life is like that in several ways happy shooting weather bailkal or berreta everyone :good:

It's uninformed rubbish like this that gets right on my t1ts and exactly what I'm talking about:

"Clay pigeon shooting events are registered by CPSA affiliated sectors, the maximum permitted bore of shotguns is twelve which is equal to 0.729 inches in diameter. The barrel lengths typically vary from anything from twenty-six inches to thirty-two inches long.

Under and over and single barrelled two shot semi automatic shotguns seem to be the most popular model. Pump action shotguns are generally classed as unsuitable for clay pigeon shooting due to recoil and reloading times".

[Taken from here]

That's strange :good: as far as I've noticed, my pump has less recoil then any SbS or O/U's I've shot with.

Certainly less then my O/U Lanber.

Reloading times? Bull poop, every single person I've ever seen with a pump has no more trouble hitting fast simo pairs then any other gun on the ground, (discounting complete novices).

If you pump it like you should without taking it off your shoulder, you don't lose any target acquisition time and you pump while you swing to the next bird.. you'll be as fast as any semi auto so most of the garbage views people have of P/As are the drivel that most of these clueless sites hand out :angry:

It's uninformed rubbish like this that gets right on my t1ts and exactly what I'm talking about:

[Taken from here]

That's strange :oops: as far as I've noticed, my pump has less recoil then any SbS or O/U's I've shot with.

Certainly less then my O/U Lanber.

Reloading times? Bull poop, every single person I've ever seen with a pump has no more trouble hitting fast simo pairs then any other gun on the ground, (discounting complete novices).

If you pump it like you should without taking it off your shoulder, you don't lose any target acquisition time and you pump while you swing to the next bird.. you'll be as fast as any semi auto so most of the garbage views people have of P/As are the drivel that most of these clueless sites hand out :good:

:angry:

my benelli montefeltro s/a used to kick like hell, but the mossberg p/a is far heavier and recoil is well reduced, even with buckshot. with pump actions you either have it or you dont. last year i took down 3 pigeons for 3 shots and regularly take down pairs, also never had a problem at clays (as one or two members on here will confirm), in fact having to pump the second (or third) shot in forces you to slow down and make sure youve got the target acquired, it stops you just pulling the trigger a few times and emptying the gun and definitely improved my hit ratios :good:

i've said this before and ill say it again, the biggest threat to shooting we have is not anti's or government do gooders, its ill informed idiots spouting tosh from within our own ranks. if you dont like pump actions, fine, dont use them. if you dont like tweed, fine, dont wear it. if you dont like something that someone else does, well fine (as long as its legal), you go do your own thing and let them get on with theirs. simples :good:

my benelli montefeltro s/a used to kick like hell, but the mossberg p/a is far heavier and recoil is well reduced, even with buckshot. with pump actions you either have it or you dont. last year i took down 3 pigeons for 3 shots and regularly take down pairs, also never had a problem at clays (as one or two members on here will confirm), in fact having to pump the second (or third) shot in forces you to slow down and make sure youve got the target acquired, it stops you just pulling the trigger a few times and emptying the gun and definitely improved my hit ratios :angry:

I think they said that pumps have heavier recoil because they think we'll be more inclined to use buckshot on the clays, as you know everyone with a pump is a maniac if they wish to use it for clays :good:

I found exactly what you said, I moved from an auto to the M500 and its like with the semi I was just swinging and either hitting or missing.. since I got the pump it's like time slows for you to pump and acquire the second bird and my accuracy has increased on simo/fast pairs and to everyone else it's like you're using an auto :good:

i've said this before and ill say it again, the biggest threat to shooting we have is not anti's or government do gooders, its ill informed idiots spouting tosh from within our own ranks. if you dont like pump actions, fine, dont use them. if you dont like tweed, fine, dont wear it. if you dont like something that someone else does, well fine (as long as its legal), you go do your own thing and let them get on with theirs. simples :good:

+1

What differences have you noticed with the 500 vs 600 AT, it's a 500A right?

Pumps arent my thing.Im not a snob or anything,but cant for the life of me rack the action while shouldering the gun cos i always feel obliged to lower it.I think it must be like that patting head while rubbing stomach thing. :good:

I can't do this either but regarding pumping actions, practice makes perfect!

Do it enough times and it comes second nature :angry:

One other thing I'll add about the Pump action is safety.

Picture this:

At a clay ground a novice who's never fired a shot in his life has a loaded shotgun with two cartridges ready to go.. He fires the first shot and breaks the first clay.

He turns around in excitement and swings the gun round with his finger still on the trigger.

Now with a Sbs, O/U or a Semi Auto.. this is an accident waiting to happen.. even if he drops the shotgun, the people behind the barrels are at extreme risk of an accidental discharge.

However this can't ever happen with a pump :angry:

What differences have you noticed with the 500 vs 600 AT, it's a 500A right?

yeah ive got one of each, a 500a and a newhaven 600at. not an awful lof of difference tbh, both have fibre optic foresights and 2nd bead halfway down the top rib, both multichoke, etc, most parts are interchangeable too. the 600 had a slightly slimmer and darker stock than the 500, but thats about it really; the firing pins gone in the 600, sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesnt :angry: so ill be changing it later in the year; would have changed it in january but i bought a hmr instead :good:

I can't do this either but regarding pumping actions, practice makes perfect!

Do it enough times and it comes second nature :angry:

Good timing is the secret to using a pump correctly,

On pulling the trigger the slide releases and the recoil is used to aid the backward pump very little effort is needed followed by the forward pump,when you pause after the shot it turns into 2 or 3 separate actions.

As said practice is key try with lighter loads first and 5 shots in a second will be achievable.