Just wondering if any 1 has any tips for a good day ??

just the farm i shoot has pigeons on there flight lines, horse, cows and grass no crops or nuffing else they would come down for just cause im a bad shot how could i try and bring them down ?? some of you may laugh at this but i have decoys and dosent work <_< any help please ?? thanks ATB

Edited by The Pest Expert

The best thing for you with no crops etc is in about a months time when birds start feeding on laid corn.

Is to set a pattern up near a water trough with a bird or two on canes on the acutal trough I once shot over 30 birds with a air rifle in the long hot summers of the 1990s.

I have seen birds on troughs this week look for feathers in the water and poo down the side of the trough they prefer the old metal galviznized ones over the new round plastic troughs.

Kind regards OTH

I have the same sort of permission, goats/sheep and grass, but good flight lines, set up in a corner, hide and decoys, have even used a magnet on occassions, yes they will come down, so you must be doing something wrong, hide making maybe they are seeing your movement

what choke are you using?

practise makes perfect

going by the book though, you'll need a reason to shot them <_<

yea i have permission and he wants the crows and pigeons gone just they sit in the trees and all the trees are just on the boundray line and if i shoot them they will go on to the next premissis i think spending more time on my hide <_< what if i throw abit of corn what they see it and think FOOD!! :sly: cheers for the replys ATB

Lofted decoys in the tree you are sat under, might bring them in over you. :good:

Best bet is to invite someone along who could show you how its done and how to identify good flight lines etc. :good:

If you dont already, then some regular practice on the clays will only help :angry:

Lofted decoys in the tree you are sat under, might bring them in over you. :good:

Best bet is to invite someone along who could show you how its done and how to identify good flight lines etc. :good:

If you dont already, then some regular practice on the clays will only help :angry:

ive done this the last couple of times out, with out th decoys and to be onest enjoyed it, its been a challange spotting them and bloody good fun shooting them

you will bring em in with a magnet i gather they dont get shot at to often so shouldn;t be wary of a rotary or 2 thats the key if they are not feeding on your permission and just passing on a flightline look for a point down a hedge or a tree that they pass and set up there on the grass with decoys and rotary if you have one :angry:

At the moment in my area the pigeons are feeding on clover more than anything else.

If you have grazing land they should be visiting it.

Spend some time watching the meadows and see if they are feeding there and set up accordingly.

Best advice on here yet :angry:

Hi

you can set out the horse shoe ,or a "L" shape, go to the BASC website, they have some goos advice and show you how to set out your decoys. Good luck, not living far from you could have a look with you if you like, look on the bright side, even if your not bringing them down, the shotgun "bang" will keep them off. :good::good:

Here are a few well known tips you may not yet have heard of.

Now you don't have to smoke, but take some rolling tobacco with you and try to roll a cigarette. This works quite well.

Take a flask and balance the cup on your knee while you use both hands to unscrew the lid. This one never fails.

Lean your gun up against the net with the bead caught in the mesh, then try to get it out. This always brings in a few.

This one worked particularly well for me today. During a quiet spell, go and move your decoys around a bit. Oh and don't forget to leave your gun in the hide. It doesn't seem to work when you have your gun with you. You will wonder where they all came from.

Take your coat off in the confines of the hide. Another good one.

Ask a friend to phone you every hour, but keep your phone in your shirt pocket with your coat over the top. They swarm in whilst your trying to get it out.

Good luck with these top tips...

Now you don't have to smoke, but take some rolling tobacco with you and try to roll a cigarette. This works quite well.

Take a flask and balance the cup on your knee while you use both hands to unscrew the lid. This one never fails.

Lean your gun up against the net with the bead caught in the mesh, then try to get it out. This always brings in a few.

This one worked particularly well for me today. During a quiet spell, go and move your decoys around a bit. Oh and don't forget to leave your gun in the hide. It doesn't seem to work when you have your gun with you. You will wonder where they all came from.

Ask a friend to phone you every hour, but keep your phone in your shirt pocket with your coat over the top. They swarm in whilst your trying to get it out.

love it :sly:

:unsure:

Amazing tips these always bring the pigeon in for me. The one that never fails me is when you need a pee, and you have the matter in hand, it always produces what would have been the perfect left and right.

Amazing tips these always bring the pigeon in for me. The one that never fails me is when you need a pee, and you have the matter in hand, it always produces what would have been the perfect left and right.

Yes, these are well known hot tips all of us decoyers use. I agree with you on the perfect left and right there rimfire4969, I did forget that one, it is difficult to remember them all in one moment.

Another good one for bringing in the pigeons is to go and pick up that one you shot that landed right over on the edge of the field you are in. This never fails to bring a nice flock into your decoys.

can you think of any more hot decoying tips?

Start packing up that works well or put your gun away <_<

forgot about that one meself how many times does that happen at the end of a session things slow down not a bird in sight for 20 mins think to yourself pack up in a bit soon as you do bird appears sees you and flares away.

Put your guns in wraps and take up Fishing.

If there are no crops to protect being grown on your permission then you are in fact breaking the law by shooting pigeons. It is technically illegal to decoy pigeons on to a grass feild and shoot them.

Thats what I dont understand about many posters on this forum they have no grasp of the General Licence or the Counrtyside & Wildlife act and just want to shoot live quarry for the sake of it.

Nothing personal. :no:

Im sure the normal uninformed comments will follow. :good:

Put your guns in wraps and take up Fishing.

If there are no crops to protect being grown on your permission then you are in fact breaking the law by shooting pigeons. It is technically illegal to decoy pigeons on to a grass feild and shoot them.

Thats what I dont understand about many posters on this forum they have no grasp of the General Licence or the Counrtyside & Wildlife act and just want to shoot live quarry for the sake of it.

Nothing personal. :good:

Im sure the normal uninformed comments will follow. :good:

No Mike, you are correct unless the grass is being grown as a crop - for hay or silage for example, or for grazing. Which just about covers almost all agricultural grass.

What tickles me is when someone with the user name The Pest Expert asks such basic questions :lol: