RE-ZEROING FOR NEW AMMO

peek-at

Hi,

I have a CZ452 .22lr and have been using Eley subs which I have found to be very accurate, but I have found that I lose the occasionl rabbit down a hole after it has been shot.

I am aware that lots of folk really like winchester subs too and the general feeling I get is that they might have better stopping power so I was thinking of gving them a go.

Firstly, does anyone have any comments for me on the winnie sub v Eley sub

secondly, does anyone know if I will have to re-zero for the new ammo?

I have looked at chairgun pro for both types and there does not seem to be an appreciable difference on there, but I suspect that this computer program might not fully relate to real life

Thanks

:angry:

You shouldn't be questioning the 'stopping power' of .22LR ammo. It's hitting a rabbit at 100+ft/lbs of power. If a 12ft/lbs airgun pellet can stop a rabbit dead in its tracks, a .22LR most certainly will.

The reason you have rabbits running is becuase you're not shooting them in the right place. Either a headshot, or a heartshot. The headshot will kill it instantly and the heartshot will probably be painless and by the time it's managed to put its head down the hole, it'll be dead.

If you put new ammo in your gun, expect the zero to change.

What range have you zeroed it at?

Billy has a point, but some ammunition is better than others too. In my opinion Eley are very good though, Winchesters too but not really any better. I use Winchesters in my gun because that's what the RFD had when I bought it and they worked.

At least check your zero if you change brands. You should do that whenever you change ammo and some people even do it when they buy a new batch! Never assume it will be ok when you're shooting live quarry. You don't have to do a full on range day, I usually just find a dandelion flower or something similar and shoot at it to see if the gun is still hitting where you point it!

I was actually going to say that...! I've lost a few that have managed to fling themselves into the undergrowth!

This is what i meant when i said i was losing some. jumping around and not being there by the time i arrive.

I do for the most part achieve good head shots. some go down instantly whilst others do backflips. Wondered if larger hollowpoint of winnie might have cancelled this out but it seems that it may not from what you say.

(zeroed at 50m)

cheers

This is what i meant when i said i was losing some. jumping around and not being there by the time i arrive.

I do for the most part achieve good head shots. some go down instantly whilst others do backflips. Wondered if larger hollowpoint of winnie might have cancelled this out but it seems that it may not from what you say.

(zeroed at 50m)

cheers

If you hit one in the head, it will start leaping about. It's dead, but it's got so much brain activity from excess signals that the muscles start moving more than they should.

Nevertheless, even thought the Winnie subs seem to have a larger hollow area, it's the mushroom that it makes, that counts. If you can get them, Barnes grenades will practically explode on impact, but they're supersonic rounds.

All in all, even if you shoot it with the best mushrooming/splitting/exploding .22LR bullet the rabbit will still jump around if you hit it in the head. You'd need something like a 22-250 to take the head clean off to ensure it doesn't do that.

Edited by Billy.

I found Eley's to be more accurate than Winnie's - but the winnies hit harder which suggests they may shoot faster/higher, but I can't remember.

The Eley have a relatively small HP and it doesn't always expand that well.

The Winchester HP is BIG and peels back like a mushroom very often, imparting lots of energy and making a big hole.

Either will deal with a rabbit but you will need to find which suits the gun best as well!

:angry::good::good:

All in all, even if you shoot it with the best mushrooming/splitting/exploding .22LR bullet the rabbit will still jump around if you hit it in the head. You'd need something like a 22-250 to take the head clean off to ensure it doesn't do that.

You'd be surprised what they will take and still jump about. I've hit bunnies heads clean off with my 6.5x55 and they still leap around! I think it's the lack of instruction to the muscles so they just do what they're used to doing when under stress (running).

I've found this more with the younger bunnies, they will throw themselves great distances, flipping about this way and that, when you go to pick it up half it's head is gone.

Although I bought a adult doe back the other night and 20minutes after gutting it, it's flanks were still twitching!

As far as ammo, I found Remingtons grouped slightly better in my CZ than Winnies but didn't expand as well so stuck with the Winnies as the difference in grouping was minimal... but yes I'd always fire a few at targets first to check.

Edited by Colster

The instict to run is very strong in most animals and its hard to be precise about what constitutes "dead". The old story about headless chickens still running around is obviously a good example.

A weird and quite unsettling story concerns people executed by guillotine in France. The severed head is still alive for anything up to half a minute after it has been cut off. the eyes still follow things around and although its incapaple of speech the mouth can still mouth words until brain death occours from lack of blood - yuk!

Apparantly Anne Bolyn's head was still very much alive and looking around when the executioner held it up. Double yuk! It was taken as proof that she was a witch.

Think on that for a few moments.

Edited by Vince Green

The instict to run is very strong in most animals and its hard to be precise about what constitutes "dead". The old story about headless chickens still running around is obviously a good example.

A weird and quite unsettling story concerns people executed by guillotine in France. The severed head is still alive for anything up to half a minute after it has been cut off. the eyes still follow things around and although its incapaple of speech the mouth can still mouth words until brain death occours from lack of blood - yuk!

Apparantly Anne Bolyn's head was still very much alive and looking around when the executioner held it up. Double yuk! It was taken as proof that she was a witch.

I love old stories like that!

Keep em coming!

I'd sooner not ,it's making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :o

Hi,

I went out this morning about 0430am. It was a lovely morning with a bit of mist here and there.

Went to a couple of my pernissions still using Eleys. (new box)

Got 8 out of 8 ................6 head shots and 2 heart shots and all of them went down like a sack of ***** (hammers)

Still twiched a bit but no back flips.

Two of the head shots had the crown of the skull completely taken out (first time i have seen this.)

Going off todays outing I will stick to my eleys for the time being anyway.

cheers

shaun

Edited by peek-at