Rabbit shooting whilst combining....

Sinistercr0c

Been over at the farmers today having gotten a call from him saying his PC was kaput (thank god for viruses). Having sorted out said PC, I was chatting with him about the harvest of the oil seed rape and cereals he's planted and he offered me a place shooting the rabbits that apparently scarper out of the fields when the combining is done.

Having thanked him for the offer (which I will be taking up with great anticipation..... :wub: ) I wondered if anyone who had done this type of shooting could offer me any advice/tips, do's 'n don'ts etc.

Many thanks guys.... :good:

yup best to wait when he is just finishing the field off as they get pushed into the last few swathes, stand near the hedge they are most likely to live in and wait for them to run out. Don't shoot at the combine it upsets the driver or did when I saw someone do it. Also be ready for foxes they often come out at the end as well

You need to get between where the rabbits are (the crop) and where they want to run to.

Stand back a few lanes from the standing wheat, which gives you a better shooting arc and is safer.

Don't rush on to the field too soon, or it could be a long day.

In the early cuts the rabbits will move into the field, rather than run out.

The only exception I have experienced to this is on very, very large fields where the combines cycle is so long, that the foxes and rabbits will often walk out while it is away.

It is also worth getting up onto the harvester if you are allowed to do so. I normally do this, shooting from the platform next to the cab, with one or two extra guns dotted about to pick off the ones that run out behind the machine.

if you are going to do as Zapp suggests wear a dust mask and its far better on rape than anything else, barley you will itch for days and wheat if its dusty will leave you looking black. Its the only thing thats bunged my semi auto up, I usually watch the wind and when its blowing the dust away stand up on it and when we go back the other way nip back in the cab.

if you are going to do as Zapp suggests wear a dust mask and its far better on rape than anything else, barley you will itch for days and wheat if its dusty will leave you looking black. Its the only thing thats bunged my semi auto up, I usually watch the wind and when its blowing the dust away stand up on it and when we go back the other way nip back in the cab.

As above, you will need a dust mask and possibly goggles, and you will be absolutely filthy and knackered after 18 hours :good:

I use my nail of a hide gun (a 25 inch Sarasqueta S/S choked 1/4 1/4) for this as it wont suffer in the dust, and because I can quickly stick a fox load in when the need arises.

Without doubt, rape, peas or beans offer the best shooting when the harvest is on. With the denser crops like barley or wheat, a lot of the rabbits etc will sneak away while the combine is elsewhere.

If you have rape, beans or peas on your permissions though, I strongly urge you to make time to shoot while the harvest is on. It can be superb :yes:

ZB

i do it every year on a sweet field of wheat. its always hot and you'll walk about a million miles following the combine up and down and up and down and up but its well worth it, tones of rabbits! just hope the wind blows in the your favor for the dust espesialy if they dont do bales and just cut up the straw :blink:

This is the most fuun shooting i have ever had. In my first year working on the farm in 2008 me and a friend shot over a 100 in one day. We stood at either end of the of the fields and covered half each, shooting what ever ran out of the crop.

The last run when there is no more crop left, was full of rabbits. we could not reload quick enough!

Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Best few days of the year - normally get about 50 per field but probably not so many this year as we've hit em hard all year round. don't go on the cab platform if you have a semi auto as the ejected shells will eventually jam the thing and an engineer will then have to be called out to make an improvised removal tool made up from a long stick & a magnet to enable him to fish out the shells and get the combine going again