Oil Depot Fire

Catamong

I'd arranged earlier in the week to shoot a field of Rape near the M1 in Hemel Hempstead, where Stealth Stalker & I picked up 100 birds 3 weeks ago.

I scrubbed the idea last night, as the weather forecast was hopeless, with a hard frost and bright sunshine and no wind.

Good job I did, as it was immediately adjacent to the Buncefield Oil Depot, that went up in smoke today...!!!

I live about 1.5 miles from the depot, and at 6.02 this morning was laying in bed when I heard a noise which sounded like a load of bricks dropping on the plastic roof of my conservatory, followed a split second later by an almighty boom, which sounded like a big clap of thunder right over the house.

The next thing I heard was all of the car alarms going off, followed a few minutes later by police / fire engine sirens.

I knew something was up but couldn't work out what - I thought that it was a gas explosion somewhere locally, so I switched on the telly at 7am to hear that it was the local oil depot going up.

Fortunately, none of the houses in my area were damaged, although the blast lifted most peoples loft hatches, for some reason..??

Its still pretty chaotic around here now, as I can look out of my window and see the flames still leaping up as I type, however lucklily enough the smoke plume is heading South East, across the St Albans, Hatfield area and away from the town.

I hope Stealth Stalker has a gasmask, he's gonna need it..!!

We lost the phones earlier today for some reason, and the Internet has only just come back on line..still we are NT Hell Customers, so what's new..??

Catamong.

Edited by Catamong

My old office is/was about 150 m away from where the first explosion was. We always used to joke about what would happen if Buncefield went up...

I saw pictures of it. The place has not a single windows and looks a bit charred. I hope the security guy is ok.

Wookie

I see from the news evryone in the hemel are is panick buy fuel and the petrol stations are running out, fueling more panicking buying and more petrol sation running out :D:D:lol:

Merry xmas to you lot down there, you'll soon be paying over £1/litre for the flammable stuff if you carry one getting excited with this buying :lol::lol::P

Jonno

Catamong

That was close!! We would have been right opposite the depot, I'm glad you called it off on saturday night.

Its still going strong, I can see the flames from my office and I must be 8 or 9 miles away!

You were not wrong about needing a gas mask yesterday, it was really eerie!

Glad your OK

Cheers S.S

Weird story.

A girl who shoots clays with us told me yesterday that her friend had seen a man of middle eastern appearance drop his wallet in in the Hemel Hempsted area a while back.

On following the man to return his wallet, the man thanked her and offered her a £50 reward saying ''I don't know what I would have done if I'd lost that!''

She replied that there was no need to give the reward.

The man again thanked her and politely told her, ''Don't be around here on the 11th!''

Accident or maybe not?

Terrorists of that kind NEVER give early warnings, even to their own family.

I think it far more likely that it was an accident - in the area of the deopt that the fire started, foam has been blowing out of the depot and across the rape field for several weeks - clearly one of their safety systems was malfunctioning, perhaps indicative of lax safety standards overall?

Catamong.

Weird story.

A girl who shoots clays with us told me yesterday that her friend had seen a man of middle eastern appearance drop his wallet in in the Hemel Hempsted area a while back.

On following the man to return his wallet, the man thanked her and offered her a £50 reward saying ''I don't know what I would have done if I'd lost that!''

The man again thanked her and politely told her, ''Don't be around here on the 11th!''

Accident or maybe not?

That one must be coming up for it's 10th anniversary soon! :devil::huh:

Weird story.

Accident or maybe not?

It could have been Elvis on the way to the fish shop.............. :devil: