.243win factory round pointers for beginner

Over twenty odd years of reloading the biggest advantage IMO is the satisfaction of using ammo you made yourself.

I think this sums up reloading perfectly.

OK you may reload accurate and consistant rounds more cheaply, but the absolute 'grabber' for me is buying the raw components,

working up a good, consistantly accurate load, and knowing that I did it. ;)

I've been reloading for over 30 years now, and still enjoy the feeling.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raja, you essex boys ought to start a co operative for reloading and share the gear, the components are so cheap and it really doesn't take long once you get the hang of it.

Not a bad idea that. Better still if one of them does all the actual reloading.

Subject to them shooting well through it I have "secured" 200 norma 75grn at £20 a box ;)

Unfortunately for you Vince, they all group well under 1/4 of an inch :lol:

Do you want to qualify this a bit? Mine regularly shoot 1/2 inch, and my CZ often a bit better.

I consider this pretty damn accurate.

1/4 inch all the time with factory rifle seems a bit much tbh - are we talking 5-shot groups here or 3-shot?

Well the 58grn Norma seem to be alright <_< first zeroing shot within 5mm of POA at 70yds (must have been a fluke) which is probably as good as I can reasonably expect with a 8 x 56?

On the basis of "quit whilst ahead" that was the one and only shot I took, happy with that :good:

Next time I'll see what the grouping is like with a number of the 58grn's as well as 100 grn SP in the same and 100grn Federals.

So far so good, thanks for the pointers <_<

Yar yar yar, very funny, I was not claiming a grouping with one shot - just that the only shot I took struck (almost) exactly where I intended it to.

There was a fallow buck feeding close by that I had been watching prior to the shot and, as it happened, after the shot too. I didn't want to scare it off but was determined to make the gun go bang just once. Yes I am like a (big) kid with a new toy.

I'll post the results of the first grouping in due course so you can all rip it a bit more. Should the report be accompanied by a photo of the grouping along with a signed witness declaration? :yp:

As a deer stalker it does not matter how a rifle groups to me, its where the first shot goes that counts. I will admit I am a pretty poor rifle shot and my attitude is that if I can hit a beer mat at 100 yards then I am good to go out to 160 yards. I've had my fair share of deer in the last couple of years so I would say do not get too obsessed with shooting sub inch groups if you are primarily going to stalk deer.

As a deer stalker it does not matter how a rifle groups to me, its where the first shot goes that counts. I will admit I am a pretty poor rifle shot and my attitude is that if I can hit a beer mat at 100 yards then I am good to go out to 160 yards. I've had my fair share of deer in the last couple of years so I would say do not get too obsessed with shooting sub inch groups if you are primarily going to stalk deer.

Exactly , any how an inch at 100 yards is MOA the riflemans holy grail .

Harnser

Amen to the last two posts, I've got no intention of delivering a "grouping" to any one animal, ever. One shot, one kill.

That said I will check grouping for each round type before delivering one in "anger". But per the title of this thread I'm just a beginner.

PS -- Isn't it normally the role of a Moderator to suggest to others to refrain from posting if they have nothing constructive to add...

Usually, but don't forget moderators are members too, we don't spend all our days wiping members bottoms.

I also agree with Scolopax and Harnser which is why I think sub whatever groups are all very pretty, but of no use whatsoever in a hunting context if you can't hit a cows backside with a shovel when kneeling/sitting/standing/rushing/out of high seat etc etc

Try the Hornady V-Max Molly i shoot around 40 roe a year with these bullets thro a Tika 243 and for the last few years have not had any problems with these bullets accuracy is superb taking roe at some long distances is no problem not sure if you intend to shoot targets or not only but as for the roe they are a great bullet.I wouldnt get too bogged down with all the figures .But would say if you are going on the deer try walking very low crouched for 200yds under a barb wire fence without catching it then another 100yds on your hands and knees take rest and try shooting at the target this will give you a good reflection for starters of what you may face than just sitting with a regular heart beat shooting at paper.The amount of so called group shot shooters ive seen miss roe and wound them when placed under these circumstances is un-real i think there is a lot more to taking a deer than placing the bullets in a nice group on the range.

Edited by roebuck243

I agree with both the last posts, but I believe you really ought to find out how well your gun groups. After all, if you don't know how well it will perform under ideal conditions you will never know how you will do under pressure.

I'm assumig vmax is deer legal? I'm not critisising, just curious :rolleyes:

Can of worms right there...

The law reads something like:-

Rifle bullets should be of an expanding type designed to deform in a predictable manner.

Make of that, what you will.

Edit - see http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=88299

Edited by garyb