Which HMR set-up?

Raja Clavata

The synthetic CZ (get the trigger adjusted), Jet-Z mod, S&B 3-12x56 illuminated reticule scope, rock mount swivel bipod and 3 of the 10 shot magazines.

Job jobbed.

Problem is, if you go too fancy and expensive you just won't want to use it or take it out in case anything gets bashed or knocked. The setup will just not get the use, and eventually you will hanker after a 2nd hand CZ set up that will work just as well but for £300 all in. Been there and done that; absolute waste of money.

Strangely, my CZ HMR is my cheapest rifle set up and it gets plenty of use, thrown about, dropped and erm generally "well used". I bought it second hand off Dangermouse for buttons (he had the barrel shortened and the trigger done and sold it with a mod).

Edited by Mungler

Well when the damn variation comes back it will probably be a 20" CZ Silhouette (or Style, can't decide at the mo). I have an Endurance 30IR ready for it but if I had cash to splash I'd probably put something FFP on it (Leupold probably or Falcon Menace).

sako finnfire in 17hmr... :yp:

second choice would be a weihrauch then the quad. nightforce/swaro 6-24x56 or similar and SAK mod.

tbh you just wont go wrong with a cz and sak...its just what scope B)

is there any possible way of changing a .22lr to a hmr?

I've got a Quad with S & B 8x56 scope and ASE Utra mod. Having not used any other HMR setup when MZUNGU MJINGA asked what he should go for I didn't really know what to say, hence the reason for this thread ...

TBH I'm surprised by the number of SAK mod advocates on HMR - I have one on my other Quad in .22lr but was led to believe they are pants on a HMR - think I'll give it a go B)

So basically the rifle is whatever you prefer / are biased towards - so for someone w/o one currently pretty much whatever catches your eye and has an acceptable price tag. That said a number of folks cited the HW - what's the reason for that?

That leaves the scope which I agree is probably the more pertinent decision. When I went from a Nikko Sterling to the S & B the difference was amazing but I do find the fixed 8x mag can limit bunny head shot range. Have personally not had cause to see the need to go lower than 8x but perhaps something up to a maximum of 16x would be useful for the longer range shots.

I've been told that Zeiss are good but perhaps not as durable as S & B and that Swaro are a bit OTT (or at least very much leaning towards law of diminishing returns compared to a S & :lol:. So I think on balance a variable mag S & B would be a good choice stretching perhaps to a Swaro if the price is right (yes, I know I stated money no object previously). I've also looked through, although not used, a couple Kahles scopes that seemed pretty good and supposedly get built in the same factory as Swaro's.

CZ452 - the answer to your question is a Quad mate.

Thanks to all for the input :yp:

I've got a Quad with S & B 8x56 scope and ASE Utra mod. Having not used any other HMR setup when MZUNGU MJINGA asked what he should go for I didn't really know what to say, hence the reason for this thread ...

TBH I'm surprised by the number of SAK mod advocates on HMR - I have one on my other Quad in .22lr but was led to believe they are pants on a HMR - think I'll give it a go :lol:

So basically the rifle is whatever you prefer / are biased towards - so for someone w/o one currently pretty much whatever catches your eye and has an acceptable price tag. That said a number of folks cited the HW - what's the reason for that?

That leaves the scope which I agree is probably the more pertinent decision. When I went from a Nikko Sterling to the S & B the difference was amazing but I do find the fixed 8x mag can limit bunny head shot range. Have personally not had cause to see the need to go lower than 8x but perhaps something up to a maximum of 16x would be useful for the longer range shots.

I've been told that Zeiss are good but perhaps not as durable as S & B and that Swaro are a bit OTT (or at least very much leaning towards law of diminishing returns compared to a S & :oops:. So I think on balance a variable mag S & B would be a good choice stretching perhaps to a Swaro if the price is right (yes, I know I stated money no object previously). I've also looked through, although not used, a couple Kahles scopes that seemed pretty good and supposedly get built in the same factory as Swaro's.

CZ452 - the answer to your question is a Quad mate.

Thanks to all for the input :yp:

Every mod is pants on a HMR...but the SAK is as good a bet as any, and one of the cheapest..it is also HMR and WMR rated by Jackson Rifles!! B)

yup you won't make much noise difference with a mod costing 3 times the amount, scope wise though I love my 8x56 on my .223 I wouldn't put one on the HMR as my 4-16 is ideal on it. Ok the glass isn't as good but really do you need top notch glass on it as usually shooting is in daylight or under the lamp rather than dusk, given the any money scenario I'd chuck a decent powered nightforce on it but it would truly be a waste