What millitary equipement do you use ?

Salop Matt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly, but it looks ridiculous on short Siberia - in fact there were moves to ban cammo for civvies at Bisley were there not?

I wouldn't know. The only shooting I've done at Bisley were military events. As a matter of interest, why is it frowned upon at civvy events? Is it a 'Michael Ryan' complex or is there a dress code as such?

Most of my shooting is bunny lamping and I wear jeans or moleskin green trousers with black t-shirt and real tree type jacket.

But my shooting buddy was saying the other day that an old boy he knows used to walk round in a white t-shirt ! makes me wonder if we worry to much about cammo as this old boy has shot loads and never bothered with cammo ! Although previously i was looking at kit carry methods !

Also iv never been to bisley nor do I plan to, i hunt / pest control not target shoot ( the only time i shoot targets is when I zero)! so cammo is fine for my requirements (cheap, effective,practical) !

As a military shooter I feel that fat blokes in tweed clothing have no place in a field. Shooting has enough opponents as it is without wannabee 19th century landowners running about in ridiculous half mast trousers and God knows what.

That has to be the best post I have read this year..............Oh it did make me smile.

I'm not allowed to wear "work" clothing for anything other than "work". But given that all my civvi camo is CS95, it's hard to tell the difference and the two become interchangeable after a while.

I just need to remember to wash and iron the new CS95 before I need to use it officially.

It is the guys who turn up to game fairs in head to toe realtree that make me smile.

For a lot of them that's the nearest they get to going out in the field ;)

The scariest ones for me are the boys in black at ranges - positively frightening, I almost took a photo of one at Bisley but he clocked me so I changed my mind, I didn't want a full on tactical roll and a double tap situation going down at the burger van :good:

I remembered last night that I do have some desert cammo shorts, but as they have now been adopted as part of the chavs summer uniform they don't get worn much.

If it's warm enough I might wear them on the next range day, just to see if I get shown the door.

I've got a cracking olive forage type hat that i wear fishing or shooting. However the best piece of army surplus i've got is a canvas belt pouch which i hang around my neck to carry bait whilst fishing. The number of people who've asked me "where did you get that pouch from" cheap and very functional!

Cheers

Aled

Just to add that my rather tongue in cheek comment wasn't a slight toward CharlieT. Military clothing and equipment was designed for use in the field, it's primary use to stop your enemy seeing you easily and as a way of carrying equipment, supplies etc. What better kit to use than the stuff tested, trialled and used by soldiers? Where do you think all the big companies get their ideas from? It's all a derivative of military issue kit.

Saying that, battledress, puttees, and steel helmet aren't that comfortable for pigeon shooting, although the Guards tunic adds an air of sophistication to the event.

Paul judgeing by the emblem on your block I'm surprised that you wear and even admitt to owning any issue tissue except you Marron lid and Para Smock.

I wear a DPM jacket or shirt when decoying and dark colours for normal shooting and I dress in tweed for driven game, but then I still dress for dinner in the mess!!

I suspect you wear out dated tradtional dress as a norm but it's excepted status makes it understandable.

Edited by welshwarrior

The scariest ones for me are the boys in black at ranges - positively frightening, I almost took a photo of one at Bisley but he clocked me so I changed my mind, I didn't want a full on tactical roll and a double tap situation going down at the burger van :good:

Now that is something as a shotgun/rimfire shooter only I have yet to see, thank god. He would have most likely double tapped you with his straight-pull AR-15 before getting some scoff and heading off for a gonk in his doss bag, and possibly other things he read about in Bravo Two Zero.

In all seriousness though, I still have a tatty old commando smock and army bush hat that I wear for pigeon shooting.

EDIT: Said "scoff" would have been eaten with a "racing spoon" worn around the neck on an old bootlace or a bit of para cord, of course.

It is a little known fact that Bravo Two Zero and all other books of a similar ilk are actually sophisticated tools packed with plausible-sounding but fake SF slang phrases and is used by the MOD to help serving and ex military personnel identify walty SAS wannabe throbbers with minimal effort.

Little known fact #2: You can actually grade how much of a walter you are by counting the number of Andy McNab/Chris Ryan etc etc etc books/films/mugs/keyfobs/novelty ties/ you own, and subtracting from that total the number of years you actually served in the armed forces.

Edited by Zapp

Now that is something as a shotgun/rimfire shooter only I have yet to see, thank god. He would have most likely double tapped you with his straight-pull AR-15 before getting some scoff and heading off for a gonk in his doss bag, and possibly other things he read about in Bravo Two Zero.

In all seriousness though, I still have a tatty old commando smock and army bush hat that I wear for pigeon shooting.

EDIT: Said "scoff" would have been eaten with a "racing spoon" worn around the neck on an old bootlace or a bit of para cord, of course.

It is a little known fact that Bravo Two Zero and all other books of a similar ilk are actually sophisticated tools packed with plausible-sounding but fake SF slang phrases and is used by the MOD to help serving and ex military personnel identify walty SAS wannabe throbbers with minimal effort.

Come again..? :good:

As a military shooter I feel that fat blokes in tweed clothing have no place in a field. Shooting has enough opponents as it is without wannabee 19th century landowners running about in ridiculous half mast trousers and God knows what.

Thanks for that post - After a rubbish week finally got a smile back on my face :good:

In answer to the original post question:

1917 Enfield SMLE

1917 Winchester P14

1943 Fazackely No4 Mk 1

Mainly shoot at Bisley and surrounding ranges as and when available - Don't wear all black or cammo, mainly because it makes me look fat!!!!!!

Camo and ex military kit (eg webbing) is banned at Bisley because too many plonkers liked dressing up. Serving members of of the military and police may wear uniforms and use issued kit only if they are properly turned out and under orders.

Edited by Vince Green

In the field when pigeon shooting, combat boots (I live in my boots, so comfy. I wear them to work,pub,walking hound etc etc) and green trousers. cammo top and face mask.

At the game fair if it's hot shorts and t shirt of no particular desciption.

At the clay club, sometimes my work gear Trousers and Shirt, some times Jeans and T shirt.

Another thing for me, is being a slightly seasonally plump chap, Surplus stuff does come in nice sizes :good:

Hmm, I've got a fair bit of military kit. It all gets used for something. I'm rather worried about the waltish collection of books I have, although I don't have any of the "how to be really hard" or other autobiography type things. I have Survival by Len Cacutt which is an interesting read about old school kit, camoflage and wild food/trapping. I also have The SAS Survival Guide (Wild food not fighting) etc. Are they waltish books? Bravo Two Zero never appealed to me - anything worth knowing isn't going to be talked about anyway!

Back to the kit list I have and use the most;

-German army Goretex trousers and jacket in olive green - cheap and very good, doesn't look at all Rambo.

-Assault boots - Again cheap. Comfortable and hard wearing. Look better than those naff Hi-Tec Magnums that the Rambo types seem to cherish!

-PLCE webbing in olive green - A comfortable way to carry lamping batteries.

-Goretex bivvy bag in olive green - Great to lie prone in if the ground is a bit damp or it's raining. Fits in a utility pouch!

I never did see the point in camo pattern kit. Keeping still or moving slowly is the key to not being spotted, not dressing up like a tree! I must admit though Pauls comment did make me smile. Nice one! :unsure: :blink:

CS 95 Trousers and Shirt if its very warm. Otherwise, buffalo fleece shirt and a windproof jacket. If its very cold, I use my Materhorn boots. It was all issued to be and I’m not about to buy more field kit until it wears out J That said, If I get invited to more formal shoots this year, I may invest in a different jacket. Something in plain green. Other than that, surplus is well made kit and built for the task. You look like a **** when you walt it up too much under the impression that you need more kit than necessary. Full webbing for example, when you are hunting bunnies with your airgun.