got my hmr camo painted

Ozzy Fudd

a few weeks ago a member on here, toolazydecoy, offered to camo paint a few members stocks. i was in two minds whether or not to get mine done, i painted my 10/22 and it didnt turn out to be the best job in the world ;) was ok but the paint/varnish was too fragile, any slight knock/scrape was peeling it off, i kept patching it up with tape so as you can see the stock is now mostly covered in black insulating tape :oops:

P1000728.jpg

(and no those arent live rounds in the mag, theyre dummy training ones i got a few years back)

anyway im happy enough with the 10/22, even though its a rough job it does the trick, so thought i might as well get the hmr done as well :oops: heres a few before pics

P1000710.jpg

P1000711.jpg

so i sent the stock off to toolazydecoy, i thought it would take 2/3 weeks but he surprised me when he said it should only take a few days. admittedly there were a couple of slight delays, but i had it back in a week and a half, still quicker than i thought. as soon as i opened the box i was shocked with how good the job was, especially the finish. i scraped the stock a bit on a wall outside to see how tough the paint job was, and it hardly left a mark - a couple of light scratches in the varnish, the paint scheme was fine :no:

P1000723.jpg

but the real test was putting the stock back on the rifle and seeing how everything tied together. getting the stock camo'ed made me get off my backside and finally dye the white sling.... :good: and heres the result :no::D :D

P1000727.jpg

close up of the camo scheme :no:

P1000725.jpg

very chuffed with the results, and id definitely recommend anyone to get in touch with toolazydecoy if you fancy blinging up your gun a bit :oops:, the jobs amazing and he kept me updated every day or two on the progress, very nice guy to deal with :hmm:

i havnt had the chance to get out with the new uber-rifle yet but it doesnt matter, i could probably just hang it on the wall as a work of art :lol::no: :no:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

p.s please get your ruger sorted!!

:hmm: i know i know its lookin rougher and rougher all the time :good: might be getting rid of it soon, if not youll be getting another phonecall :hmm:

looks good

where did you get the butt cover from and at what cost i been looking around but not happy with what i have found

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIFLE-STOCK-COVER-AM...=item3caf326469

just search for stock cover / stock bag, etc, theres loads, but thats the same type and roughly the price i paid, it comes with two velcro attached ammo holders too, one for half a dozen centrefire rounds, the other for 12ga shotgun shells :good:

Sorry, not my cup of tea

:good:

Theres nowt queerer than folk... if a quarry species is close enough to see the finish on the stock of any of my guns, it's close enough to be shot.

I can only imagine you have just halved the resale value of that rifle :good:

Edited by garyb

:good: Looks pukka mate hes done a really nice job....wonder what my .222 would look like done like that? :good:

It will look like it does now only with a cam painted stock.

I have to say I agree completely with Raja and Garyb but that is not taking anything away from the paint job, It is good work

:blink:

Theres nowt queerer than folk... if a quarry species is close enough to see the finish on the stock of any of my guns, it's close enough to be shot.

I can only imagine you have just halved the resale value of that rifle :unsure:

I disagree. A gun is only worth what someone will pay, if your looking for a cammoed stock you will pay what you think is a good price.

Some people like cammo some dont...its the wood versus synthetic argument agian.

I disagree. A gun is only worth what someone will pay, if your looking for a cammoed stock you will pay what you think is a good price.

Some people like cammo some dont...its the wood versus synthetic argument agian.

Walk into your local gunshop and count how many cammo painted guns you see on their racks.

Edited by garyb

Walk into your local gunshop and count how many cammo painted guns you see on their racks.

Then again Gary - how many synthetic stocks would you have seen 10 years ago? not many whereas now you will see about 1 in 3....

the paint job looks really good and it sounds like a good deal although I prefer a laminate type stock...

Edited by gixer1

:blink: I HAVE had mine done and it looks the dogs ballrocks!!! However, i am aware that not everyone likes camoed stuff....so i habve a spare stock!!! :unsure:

That would be the best Idea, buy a cheap spare stock and box up the original...