selectable semi auto/pump action shotguns

Ozzy Fudd

the idea behind them was for military use, semi auto for quick firing, pump action for using light loads that the semi action on the gun would have trouble firing. im thinking of trading in one of the mossbergs and buying a selectable/dual model if i can find one i like :good:

:good: ive just texted 118 118 to ask :good: (they sent me a msg saying i could ask a free question)

im looking something for rough shooting and clays (odd time), like the idea of a dual action, but i doubt the spas12 would be practical (been told theyre too heavy). the benelli m3 doesnt look too bad, but need to find one first to try it - on top of that i havnt decided if i can be bothered going for a high capacity shotgun :lol:

Guntrader.co.uk had a few Benelli M2 Super 90's a little while ago,which is both pump and semi,but don't know of any others.They look the dogs danglies! :good: Have never seen a Franchi Spas been advertised for donkeys years,since they received such bad press following Hungerford.

:good: cheers, they have 3 m3's on at the moment , plus the odd spas 12 crops up on here :good:

and 118 came back telling me that the top 7 semi auto shotguns are benelli, beretta 391, browning gold, franchi, mossberg 935, remington andwinchester super x2 ;) not the question i asked, but quite interesting as ive already seen the mossberg 935 and like the look of it... :lol:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Guntrader.co.uk had a few Benelli M2 Super 90's a little while ago,which is both pump and semi,but don't know of any others.They look the dogs danglies! :D Have never seen a Franchi Spas been advertised for donkeys years,since they received such bad press following Hungerford.

The M2 is semi-auto only. :balloon: The only ones i'm familiar with are the Benelli M3 and Franchi SPAS 12 and 15, all of which are like unicorn doo-doo as Section 2. I may have imagined it but i think theres also a select fire Winchester but can't recall the model :hmm:

Mark

the idea behind them was for military use, semi auto for quick firing, pump action for using light loads that the semi action on the gun would have trouble firing. im thinking of trading in one of the mossbergs and buying a selectable/dual model if i can find one i like :balloon:

Out of interest why would the military want to use lighter loads? shooting smaller people/dwarfs is the only thing I can think of.

The M2 is semi-auto only. :hmm: The only ones i'm familiar with are the Benelli M3 and Franchi SPAS 12 and 15, all of which are like unicorn doo-doo as Section 2. I may have imagined it but i think theres also a select fire Winchester but can't recall the model :D

Mark

thanks will look it up :balloon:

It was mine! :huh:

Now i just have the spas 12 ozzy, one piece of advice, don't write a gun off just on what you hear about them, i get on fine with it now.

Yes it's a bit heavy, but it does have about a pound of ammunition in the mag.

good point :o

i havnt necessarily written off the spas 12 yet, im just not sure about it - need to get my hands on one first to try it out, i dont want to fall into the "cool" trap :huh:

spas12-001.jpg

then again looking at this pic.... :huh:

now heres something interesting ive found with the m3, a vursan m95a?! looks like the m3 but it has a top rib?! :blink:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...=1t:429,r:1,s:0

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...=1t:429,r:0,s:0

edit - versan seems to be made by stoeger in turkey :yes: - http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/shotguns.asp

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

The fundamental question though is why do you want a selectable semi/pump? If you're shooting 2 3/4" and 3" shells, then there are plenty of semis that will handle the range and thus no need. For just clays and rough then you're really only using 2 3/4" anyway, so you're don't need the wide range of ability. Plus, what you're giving up is handling, price, and resale.

If you want it just because you like it, then fine. But for practicality sake you're probably making things a lot harder for yourself than need be.

Thanks

Rick

The fundamental question though is why do you want a selectable semi/pump? If you're shooting 2 3/4" and 3" shells, then there are plenty of semis that will handle the range and thus no need. For just clays and rough then you're really only using 2 3/4" anyway, so you're don't need the wide range of ability. Plus, what you're giving up is handling, price, and resale.

If you want it just because you like it, then fine. But for practicality sake you're probably making things a lot harder for yourself than need be.

Thanks

Rick

i want it because i like it :o

but seriously, i want versatility and reliability from my shotguns. ive never really got on with semi's, any ive owned or used have been too ammo fussy for my liking, i use everything from 21g to 36g cartridges throughout the year, and i use them everywhere from clay grounds to farm yards to standing knee deep in a bog, so i use pump actions; however there have been a couple of occasions (not many) where a semi would have been useful, so the ability to switch between two modes would be a major bonus.

im used to handling mossberg 500's so the handling issue isnt a big one to me (6'2 with a big frame :huh:) and im not that worried about resale value, the treatment my guns get would outweigh that anyway :good: the only thing is, i want something with a tob rib and multi choke; that varsun m95a i posted seems to be ideal, plus its got the benelli semi auto sytem (recoil operated, not gas) which would keep the weight down. only problem so far has been tracking down someone to see if theyre available or can be imported - varsun seems to have been bought over by stoeger, which in turn was bought over by the beretta group (hence the benelli style recoil system, as they own benelli) so ive fired off a few emails to see if those are still in production and if theyre available :yes:

edit - right im a tube :huh: i thought the benelli m3's only came with rifle sights :blink: found some on guntrader that are what im looking :hmm:http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/071206162131063

thanks everyone :huh:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

the only one ive owned was a benelli montefeltro, it was a complete pain in the ***. needed constant cleaning to keep functioning (i mean a full strip and clean after every outing) and the only thing it was guaranteed to cycle (if clean) was 32g or higher :look: as well as that ive used a few friends guns, a couple of browning's, a beretta, a franchi (raptor i think?), a winchester and a benelli (cant rem the model); theres been more but those are the ones ive shot more than once or twice. all of them have had jams, etc - maybe im just jinxed when it comes to semi's :sneaky2:

I have only had my Benelli Comfort a couple of months and I was told, rightly or wrongly this was the point they would jam, if they are not run in with 32g carts.

Well, this has been done and it has cycled everything down to 21g Eleys without fault (touch would) Its cleaned every time it is used regardless just like my OU Beretta is.

As for the comment, buy one because you can, I am so with you and if you let me go with your money I would buy a Benelli M3 Super Pump Kromo - looks sooo cool and if had the spare cash I would be seriously convincing myself I want one because I could !

As for the comment, buy one because you can, I am so with you and if you let me go with your money I would buy a Benelli M3 Super Pump Kromo - looks sooo cool and if had the spare cash I would be seriously convincing myself I want one because I could !

:crazy: thats the trap im trying not to fall into, been working my back side off since xmas to save up to change, so im going to get my hands on one first before i do anything :look:

well so far we have spas 12, spas 15, benelli m3 and vursan 95; anyone know of any others out there? :sneaky2: