What do you do with the dead birds??

Stretch

Just wondering what you lot do with the dead ones?? Sell em, dump em or give em away? Just started to get reasonable numbers on the field and i'm at the point now where i don't know what to do with the damn things.

Been trying to find somewhere that will buy them off me but local places are not interested.

Any heads up of who buys them and prices involved would be much appreciated.

Edited by Stretch

Just wondering what you lot do with the dead ones?? Sell em, dump em or give em away? Just started to get reasonable numbers on the field and i'm at the point now where i don't know what to do witht the damn things.

Been trying to find somewhere that will buy them off me but local places are not interested.

Any heads up of who buys them and prices involved would be much appreciated.

Get a chest freezer and an appetite. (or 3 hungry kids!) :oops: :blink:

take about ten, breast them off, marinade in soy sauce with chilli and garlic, great in stir fry, pan fried, or cold in sandwiches, rest I freeze for decoy's next time. try to keep 30 to 50 for this, much better than plastic as long as you remember to thaw them the night before !!!!

doc

take about ten, breast them off, marinade in soy sauce with chilli and garlic, great in stir fry, pan fried, or cold in sandwiches, rest I freeze for decoy's next time. try to keep 30 to 50 for this, much better than plastic as long as you remember to thaw them the night before !!!!

doc

Two very good ideas there. The meal sounds nice, will definately try that one. I've never used real birds as decoys, still a novice. Do you use the "cradles" for that or are there other options??

Plenty of demand for them in butchers shops in Norfolk. Average 25-30 pence per bird.

Bit far for me, i'm in walsall, west mids. Is that price about the going rate? Enough to cover the cost of the cartridges i suppose, a cost free hobby sounds good :blink:

On a more serious note , I had a pigeon vindalo a few evenings ago . ,

As follows :

INGRIEDIENTS:

2 Onions

4 Cloves of garlic

1 Piece of ginger

4 Large tomatos

6-8 Pigeon breats

8 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

1 Tablespoon of honey( the runny stuff)

CURRY PASTE:

1 Tablespoon Tumeric

3 Tablespoons Groundnut oil

2 Tablespoons tomato puree

1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns

4 Cloves

2 Teaspoons coriander seeds

2 Teaspoons of Fennel seeds

1 Teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.

1-2 Teaspoons of chilli powder or 2-3 chillies

METHOD:

Dice onion , garlic and ginger and sweat in a pan for about ten minutes.

While this is bubbling away toast the black peppercorns, cloves ,coriander seeds ,fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds in a dry pan for around 30-60 secs . (its important that you dont let them burn as they will go bitter but they need to toast so keep an eye on them) once theses have toasted bung them all in a pestle and mortar and smash to pieces . Add the rest of the spices and groundnut oil to make your curry paste.

Now chop up your pigeon and chuck in the pan and fry for a few minutes with the onions and garlic .Then add the curry paste and let it fry for about 30 secs then chop up your tomatoes and put in the pan with the balsamic vinegar ,honey and 400ml of water or stock if you prefer . Cover with the lid and bring to the boil. Once it has boiled lower to a simmer and cook for about 45 mins - 1 hr. Then take the lid off and allow to reduce into a wonderfull sticky vindaloo gravy. Dont be tempted to add cornflour or any thickening agents as the curry will do this itself. And the spices need time to cook down.

Pigeon vindalo Yum Yum !!! :blink:

Anyone in Norfolk/ north Suffolk I will buy your chilled pigeons for .20p per bird.

I am in Norfolk ( stay along KL to Cromer road) quite a bit and dealers always want them down here.

Same as rabbits .80p per paunced head shot one but expect you can get that if not more locally.

Anyone in Norfolk/ north Suffolk I will buy your chilled pigeons for .20p per bird.

I am in Norfolk ( stay along KL to Cromer road) quite a bit and dealers always want them down here.

Same as rabbits .80p per paunced head shot one but expect you can get that if not more locally.

PM sent

I sell mine to restaurants for £1 a piece. Hunt around and as long as you don't let them rip you off, you'll get a good price for your birds, which will make it worth your while if they're a few miles away.

If a restaurant asks why you sell them for a £ ask them how much they'll go on the menu for. :good:

As has been said above. Get a chest freezer, as you will find restaurants go in and out of phases of taking 'game specials' so a freezer will keep them fresh for months, even years.

If you're going to freeze them, remember to thoroughly dry them, or they'll get freezer burn. Also, any game which needs hanging, should have a day taken off the hanging time. So pigeon, which apparently needs a day to hang, shouldn't be hung, as the freezer adds the 'hung' effect.

Two very good ideas there. The meal sounds nice, will definately try that one. I've never used real birds as decoys, still a novice. Do you use the "cradles" for that or are there other options??

can use craddles but normally just stick their necks on a stick, and a few on flappers and magnet

doc

Edited by docholiday

Suggest that you sort that out BEFORE you go out next time as 'dumping' them is NOT an option. Find a game dealer in your area if you have enough birds for him or find a local butcher, pub, restaurant that'll take 'em but never never waste good food!

I NEVER waste them, i've always given them away to anyone who will take them, even the messy ones get used by a friend who owns buzzards (or something like them). The thing is i'm starting to get bigger bags and its become more difficult to shift them. Plus it's getting expensive so could do with finding someone to buy them.

I sell mine to restaurants for £1 a piece. Hunt around and as long as you don't let them rip you off, you'll get a good price for your birds, which will make it worth your while if they're a few miles away.

If a restaurant asks why you sell them for a £ ask them how much they'll go on the menu for. ???

As has been said above. Get a chest freezer, as you will find restaurants go in and out of phases of taking 'game specials' so a freezer will keep them fresh for months, even years.

If you're going to freeze them, remember to thoroughly dry them, or they'll get freezer burn. Also, any game which needs hanging, should have a day taken off the hanging time. So pigeon, which apparently needs a day to hang, shouldn't be hung, as the freezer adds the 'hung' effect.

:good:

Just don't shoot more than you can use. It's not exactly complicated. I even use breasted birds on the magnet.

wont get very far with pest control then. I am sure a farmer would be over the moon to see you walking of his field with a handfull of pigeons saying thats all you can use, whilst his field is being hoovered up by masses of pigeons.

doc

my thoughts exactly Doc, the whole principle of the general license doesn't depend on what highlander can eat ???

I will admit it is a waste not using them but at this time of year it can be difficult to get them out of the field without flystrike and a fair number spoiling. Personally I use dead birds in the pattern and not sure I'd eat any that have been in the sun all day, so use what you can if you can find a buyer then that is best but if you have a surplus talk to your farmer about disposal.

Don't do what i did last week and breast 40 put them in the bin thinking collection day was tuesday that week when it was tuesday the week after. It honks and is crawling with maggots :good:

wont get very far with pest control then. I am sure a farmer would be over the moon to see you walking of his field with a handfull of pigeons saying thats all you can use, whilst his field is being hoovered up by masses of pigeons.

doc

Thing is though, I would have no problem using up 100 pigeons. And I know plenty people who would take any excess :good: