10 Bore Shotgun Shells

I am interested in purchasing a 10 bore shotgun.

I may on the odd occasion use it for clays (not at a ground, although

would that be ok?) but at my place.

However can you buy light loads for them ie, 28gr? Or do they only make

heavy loads for 10 bore considering what they're mainly used for?

I am interested in purchasing a 10 bore shotgun.

However can you buy light loads for them ie, 28gr? Or do they only make

heavy loads for 10 bore considering what they're mainly used for?

You have to consider that a 10b is initally designed as a wildfowling gun so larger loads are its uses. Would be fun but not competition level for clays unless you have arms like Arnie due to the guns weight (10.5-12lb)

You could load a 28g load, but you would have to put probably an inch worth of spacers in the shot column.

I have loaded 36g for roost shooting pigeons, and you hardly know you are shooting them as the guns weight absorbs the recoil.

Watch the for sale section as I will be selling one of my 10's, together with all the reloading gear as I have bought a double 8.

Hmm, I have never given a thought to loading my own shells.

What is the lightest load commercially available steel or lead for a 10g?

I have seen a 10 bore advertised that only weighs just over 5lbs, I wouldn't

fancy shooting heavy loads through that. It may well be of course that the

advert is incorrect. Most that I have seen do weigh around the 10lb mark.

You wouldn't be able to use it at any CPSA reg'd ground for the clays as the max is 12GA, most are also limited to 28G loads for sporting etc and 24G for certain disciplines, on your own land go for it :cry1:

Jon.

• 3 years later...
Guest hotshot rasher

You have to consider that a 10b is initally designed as a wildfowling gun so larger loads are its uses. Would be fun but not competition level for clays unless you have arms like Arnie due to the guns weight (10.5-12lb)

You could load a 28g load, but you would have to put probably an inch worth of spacers in the shot column.

I have loaded 36g for roost shooting pigeons, and you hardly know you are shooting them as the guns weight absorbs the recoil.

Watch the for sale section as I will be selling one of my 10's, together with all the reloading gear as I have bought a double 8.

Hi starlight32, i am looking for a 10 Gauge shotgun Over/Under or semi Auto, would you know where i could start looking?

Regards,

Hotshot rasher

Hi starlight32, i am looking for a 10 Gauge shotgun Over/Under or semi Auto, would you know where i could start looking?

Regards,

Hotshot rasher

Regards,

Hotshot rasher

Regards,

Hotshot rasher

gunstar or guntrader

Just lucked into an uncommon RCBS 10-ga reloading die system - it fits the RCBS single stage press with the collet removed.

Will be getting into 10-ga reloading in due course, but not for everyday use given the size of the gun I'll be getting.

There's lots of good info out there on trimming down the factory 3 1/2" hulls to 3", 2 7/8", 2 3/4" or even smaller, to use it in a similar way to a 12-ga with a heavier payload.

Sounds like trimmed hulls and reloads will be the way to go as commercial loads tend to be based on waterfowling use.

In the USA the 10-ga seems to see equal use as either a wildfowling piece or as a turkey hunter; in the case of the latter they're able to use normal lead loads.

One of the loads I've seen online is a 10-ga solid slug...but I doubt they'll ever be seen in the UK

If I was closer I'd offer to help with reloads. I'm sure that one of the main UK shotshell reloading suppliers are not far from you though?

gunstar or guntrader

+2

If you decide to load the big gun down a bit you can slip a 12 Ga. wad inside of the 10 wads and cut the shot charge in 1/2. I shoot the Rem RP 10 wad and insert the AA red was inside it and load 1 1/2 oz.or less of lead shot with the appropriate dose of a medium burn rate powder such as 800X or 4756. I run a PW loader with a gauge die setup and it creates beautiful loads in about any weight you could want. Some will not function gas guns.

Edited by coyotemaster

If you decide to load the big gun down a bit you can slip a 12 Ga. wad inside of the 10 wads and cut the shot charge in 1/2. I shoot the Rem RP 10 wad and insert the AA red was inside it and load 1 1/2 oz.or less of lead shot with the appropriate dose of a medium burn rate powder such as 800X or 4756. I run a PW loader with a gauge die setup and it creates beautiful loads in about any weight you could want. Some will not function gas guns.

Good idea. Will make a note of that.

Hope to pick up a conversion unit for my 375 so I can load 10-ga on it, until then at least I have the RCBS dies...get the job done, but slowly

I never fancied sending large volumes of steel shot through a 12 bore barrel so I use a 10 bore with a pair of gaugemates to enable me to buy 3.5 inch 12 cartridges for it. Much cheaper option than 10 bore cartridges.

Super mag 12 and 10 ga should be about equal in cost, running about a quid a pop