Freelander advice please

Fisherman Mike

My wife has her eye on a 02 plate 2.0 diesel with 45k on the clock.....and a 03 plate 1.8 petrol with 52 k

What are they really like and what should we look out for if purchasing one . Ive heard so many bad things about them, head gaskets going, electrical problems etc. Im sure some of you must have one...

Whats the real story :lol:

Cheers FM

The head gasket trouble was with the petrol ones. I had a petrol one for a while, second hand, with no problems at all.

I PXd it for a new TD4 back in 2000 and that was mostly OK, but I did have a warped rear drum and a weird electrical niggle that made the dashboard fail once. That all got dealt with under warranty. There are stories out there about the viscous coupling failing, so read up before you buy.

I sold it as I felt the interior space was much too small compared to the outside size of the car, and fancied a Disco, which is a better 4x4 anyhow.

My wife has her eye on a 02 plate 2.0 diesel with 45k on the clock.....and a 03 plate 1.8 petrol with 52 k

What are they really like and what should we look out for if purchasing one . Ive heard so many bad things about them, head gaskets going, electrical problems etc. Im sure some of you must have one...

Whats the real story :lol:

Cheers FM

got a m8 who has one the back window fell down(one in the back door) the smallest part you will ever see, cant bodge it up cause window opens when you open door £450 plus fitting and vat, head gaskets were known on early models

Hi.

My father has got a 2004 TD4 and has had to replace the gearbox twice (used a 2nd hand replacement and that went aswell), and the recon one that is now in it is starting to whine after 10000 miles.

I also have had friends with them and all of them had problems, ranging from headgaskets in the early petrols to electrical probs and the prop shaft viscous coupling seizing(on all but one of them).

Just my opinion but stay well clear, and buy a Defender 90 or something Jap if you want reliability.

I have a 2001 TD4. had the mass airflow meter go, and I replaced the back door handle. Got both parts from an auction site brand new, at a third of the price. apart from that I've had no problems. I've had mine for 6 years and think its great.

DON'T GET THE PETROL!!

:lol::P

I had an 02 Diesel from new :P

I kept it for 3 years then got rid, because I would never consider owning one of these outside of the warranty.

Mine was an absolute shed. New gearbox after 7000 miles, then the IRD unit went and some drive shaft thing.

Warranty was superb, but without that, I wouldn't go near any modern Land Rover with a bargepole.

Engine used to cut out if you went through puddles fast, which used to amuse me, as part of their advertising blurb was driving one through a ******* river. :lol:

Add to that the disgusting wretches at Land Rover Finance trying to rip me off and then ******* up my credit rating when they lost the argument :lol:

All in all, it wasn't a happy arrangement and not one which will ever be repeated in this household.

For ***** sake don't get one.

59,000= X2 FUEL PUMPS-£700

68,000= clutch,flywheel,crankcase pulley, £1,800.

Plus previously,drivers window regulator £100+

Rear door latch

Various bushes and rattly bits.

Clutch master and slave cyliders.

Now more rattles and clunks that might be suspension strutts. Its just gone past 69,000 miles.

Bryan.

1.8 Is a K series engine, fitted across the MGR range, and really prone to cooking the head and giving you HGF. You'd spend most of your time checking the water.

TD4, if it's the same engine fitted to the Rover 75 then it will be a BMW M47 engine, good strong cast iron engine. However, the slave and master cylinders are fairly weak and will at some point **** hydraulic fluid everywhere, design is the same as the Rover 75 and I have spent a fortune on the clutch hydraulics.

i got a 2001 td4 which for a few years has been fine,then clutch went,then cylinders ,then transfer box,now back axle is coming away from body ,total **** wouldnt **** on one if it was on fire now,gonna run mine to the ground now cos cant bring myself to pass trouble on to someone else. apart from that,i find it brill in snow and off road for shooting and fishing,and does a fair mileage out of it (20000 a year) :cry1:

:hmm: I have A 2000 2.0L DEISEL, I love mine, great little motor, the turbo exhaust split, £50 and a piece of **** to change.My wife loves it,, comfortable, reliable etc, great driving position, and thus far has been great off road.

Today i have a problem with the brakes being spongey, its probably a rear cylinder, £10 to buy and easy as a ford to change so no big dramas here. :hmm:

If she serioussly wants one and isnt goibng to "Rag" it off road then Id say go for it. I just bought a rav4 too and tbh...much prefer the freelander :hmm:

??? I have A 2000 2.0L DEISEL, I love mine, great little motor, the turbo exhaust split, £50 and a piece of **** to change.My wife loves it,, comfortable, reliable etc, great driving position, and thus far has been great off road.

Today i have a problem with the brakes being spongey, its probably a rear cylinder, £10 to buy and easy as a ford to change so no big dramas here. :good:

If she serioussly wants one and isnt goibng to "Rag" it off road then Id say go for it. I just bought a rav4 too and tbh...much prefer the freelander :good:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=136407 ??? ??? ???:lol: :lol: :lol: