Safe key lost

rompom

Thanks all for the varied advice. I went down to the cellar yesterday with an angle grinder, mallet, crowbar, hardened hole cutter, and sense of foreboding over what was looking like a long and sweaty afternoon.

Worryingly, all it took was an old chisel, a claw hammer and 60 seconds to pop the cabinet open - literally like opening a paint tin. One bolt, which popped out of the lock without protest.

On the one hand, it was a relief to get the guns out ahead of a shoot this week. On the other it demonstrated how utterly inadequate some of these old gun cabinets can be - I now wonder if the firearms inspector had a close enough look when he checked it out last year. Gives a cold sweat to know that anyone could have popped the door off in no time at all.

So, on to my next question.... does anyone have a 2nd hand 3 gun cabinet for sale in the Surrey/Kent area!?

How to open a seven lever gun safe lock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc4c5TRPo00

I'd love to see how you get into a brattonsound easily in 10 minutes, I had an old one I left at a previous address and lost the key, managed to crowbar the door. As for an anglegrinder that'll put sparks all round the inside of the cabinet as well so really not a good idea

Depends on the locking system but if it was the 7 lever version.......

That did seem to take well under 10 minutes :rolleyes: :look: :yes:

Really not quite sure what to say!!

I have the brattonsound one with the single keyhole and 5 big bolts, hopefully that will last at least 10mins. And it's bolted to the house, so if you want to take it, you get the house too....

Really the biggest defence of the cabinet is if it is hidden. It really is not hard to get into with the right knowledge. And as an engineer who has to find solutions to this kind of thing, it does not need much imagination how to get in.

As a neat and safe place to store a 'spare' key... simply plaster or cement it into a wall or outbuilding somewhere on your property. Painted over there will be no sign.

I have the brattonsound one with the single keyhole and 5 big bolts, hopefully that will last at least 10mins. And it's bolted to the house, so if you want to take it, you get the house too....

Really the biggest defence of the cabinet is if it is hidden. It really is not hard to get into with the right knowledge. And as an engineer who has to find solutions to this kind of thing, it does not need much imagination how to get in.

Im doing some work on my house at the moment and the key hiding place is brilliant.

My cabinet is cut in to a wall, boxed in floor to ceiling with a false panel in front. Not hard or expensive to do, but peice of mind is easier to live with.

AARRGGHH!! If you want to break into a 'cabinet', all its takes is a crowbar with a good edge on it. To remove it from the wall, as most of us dont cut the plaster away first' you just stick the bar into the the plaster 'safe' the wall. Trust me, cabinets are pants. All he FEO is bothered about, is that he cant pull it off the wall.

One of the big problems with a gunsafe is that it leads to over confidence. If a burglar sees one he may leave it alone but he or one of his mates will be back later with a grinder. Its only a tin can.

well its 2mm steel not 2" steel! gun cabinets are a legal requirement and as such most are built to the legal minimum spec, Gun safes are safes but in the grand scheme of safes they aren't the best and most have a low rating. Look at the sort of safes in your local jewellers!!! They are designed to slow down opportunist thieves and should be part of good home security, alarms, lights good doors and windows with good locks

• 1 year later...

I would therefore suggest that you contact a member of the Master Locksmiths Guild. These men are properly trained and qualified, unlike many who advertise in Yellow Pages etc.

As a fully trained locksmith I take a slight offense to this...

I have advertised in the yellow pages for years... and am not a member of the Guild ( personally I dont think that it is worth paying to being a member of a club that has no regulation on the industry, and I can assure you all that the last thing any locksmith would / should do is Destructive entry.

unless all other avenues have been exhausted...

I for one am the 1st person to say to all, if you call a locksmith & he turns up with a drill, then he is not a locksmith !!!

also, we dont all charge the earth for a honest job....

dont judge us all in this way , we aint all a bad lot!! ...... judge the work & cost that you pay for it....

What worries me is the fact that the members on this forum are so eager and willing to hand out tips on how to break into safes to someone who hasn't even reached 50 post count. Yes it cold be legit, but you are providing potential criminals with the knowledge they need to open safes.

Rubbish...

So if a member has a wealth of engineering knowledge and an under 50 post count, how does that work….? A high post count is not a prerequisite for giving good advice! Which is quite evident in many posts made by people….

If I lost my keys (and the spares) I would have it open in 20 minuets then take it off the wall in to my work shop, metal finish the repair and put it back!

TEH

I have advertised in the yellow pages for years... and am not a member of the Guild ( personally I dont think that it is worth paying to being a member of a club that has no regulation on the industry, and I can assure you all that the last thing any locksmith would / should do is Destructive entry.

I for one am the 1st person to say to all, if you call a locksmith & he turns up with a drill, then he is not a locksmith !!!

dont judge us all in this way , we aint all a bad lot!! ...... judge the work & cost that you pay for it....

You do realise this thread is two years old?

Rubbish...

So if a member has a wealth of engineering knowledge and an under 50 post count, how does that work….? A high post count is not a prerequisite for giving good advice! Which is quite evident in many posts made by people….

If I lost my keys (and the spares) I would have it open in 20 minuets then take it off the wall in to my work shop, metal finish the repair and put it back!

TEH

Nobody said a high post count is a prerequisite for giving good advice. A low post count on the other hand could indicate that the member is a fly by. In this case requiring specific information on how to break into a cabinet. Congratulations on your ability to action your contingency plan, should your keys ever get lost.

Nobody said a high post count is a prerequisite for giving good advice. A low post count on the other hand could indicate that the member is a fly by. In this case requiring specific information on how to break into a cabinet. Congratulations on your ability to action your contingency plan, should your keys ever get lost.

So from your comment we can assume people with a low post count handing out tips on how to open a cabinet are…..

“a fly by. In this case requiring specific information on how to break into a cabinet”

As you have all ready started we can make up a list if you like…of members with low post counts handing out tips on a vast array of subjects and you can sit and judge on how “fly by” they might be! :lol:

TEH

So from your comment we can assume people with a low post count handing out tips on how to open a cabinet are…..

“a fly by. In this case requiring specific information on how to break into a cabinet”

As you have all ready started we can make up a list if you like…of members with low post counts handing out tips on a vast array of subjects and you can sit and judge on how “fly by” they might be! :lol:

TEH

You clearly don't get it. Members with low post counts supplying information doesn't warrant scepticism. Members with low post counts who request potentially compromising information should be approached with caution.

Easy! :good: lol

You clearly don't get it. Members with low post counts supplying information doesn't warrant scepticism. Members with low post counts who request potentially compromising information should be approached with caution.

Easy! :good: lol

What a load of Tosh……

Are you stating just because…

“Members with low post counts who request potentially compromising information should be approached with caution.”

So how would you suggest we approach them…..from behind a twitching curtain with a Neighbourhood Watch badge stuck in the window?

post-23668-0-23179400-1340567635.jpg

:lol::lol:

The Mods on here will sift out any Members who request potentially compromising information quicker than…..you write your next reply…

TEH

What a load of Tosh……

Are you stating just because…

“Members with low post counts who request potentially compromising information should be approached with caution.”

So how would you suggest we approach them…..from behind a twitching curtain with a Neighbourhood Watch badge stuck in the window?

post-23668-0-23179400-1340567635.jpg

:lol::lol:

The Mods on here will sift out any Members who request potentially compromising information quicker than…..you write your next reply…

TEH

Aren't you hilarious lol

I disagree, just because you are in Yp don't mean your a locksmith!! We get lots of cowboys advertise here, and it's hard to know good from bad. As a master locksmith at least we have passed an exam and know our stuff.

And regards drill, it's a tool that's used. A lot of our jobs involve faulty locks and that's the only way in. Not you have a drill you must be bad. Ever picked a lock where the whole lever pack is jammed Etc etc

7 lever locks are not a problem to us guys with the right tools, nor are 9 lever copy dbl bitted keys that are about. If anyone has an issue in future then post it up, and I'll reply via pm or phone your best way forward.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, and before lock-pick filled handbags start flying :P (joking, guys.)... There is a lot here on how easy it is to prise the single/double lock doors open with a sharp crowbar, how much safer are the cabinets with the multi-point, rolling bolts, that throw out round the door perimeter? Obviously, picking the lock, or using an angle grinder/thermic lance/C4 will open anything, but are they any better against the ordinary scrote with a crowbar,hammer and screwdriver in his pockets?

Edited by Bloke