FAO Visiting Permission

Markono1

Hi All

Recently had a visit from my FAO with regards to my shotgun application, everything seemed to go well.

The one thing I was asked was where was the land that I was planning on using the shotgun, as I am just getting into shooting with help to train my dogs I have no permissions in my name. I have always been invited to bring my dog along on days while my friend was shooting/training.

I have only bumped into the farmer once or twice with the usual pleasantries, now the FOA wants to visit said farmer and land (best of luck getting a hold of a farmer at this time of year with all the combining that’s going on up my way!!)

Now I’m just abit worried of what’s going to be asked of the farmer and if he will be bothered with the hassle of visits at this time of year.

Has anyone else been in this same situation?

Cheers

Mark

What did you put on the application form for "good reason" for owning a Shotgun ?

You don't need a good reason. You don't need permission to shoot. All the police have to do is satisfy themselves that you are sane enough to have a gun.

Are you a member of BASC? If I was in your situation I'd give them a ring.

Apache... Wrong.

You need to present a good case for owning any form of Shotgun or Firearm.

"I want to go Clay Pigeon Shooting" would have been a good reason for the Grant of an SGC... and would have probably meant less hassle with the plod checking farmland.

It all depends on what he put on the form :good:

Just tell them that you're going to use it on clays while you're sorting out your permission and give the name of a nearby club. :good:

As has been said you don't need a 'good reason' to acquire a shotgun in the same way you do a rifle but the Police, rightly or wrongly will ask you what you intend to use it for and if you can't tell them you'll be in for a bumpy ride :yes:

Mark

Apache... Wrong.

"I want to go Clay Pigeon Shooting" would have been a good reason for the Grant of an SGC... and would have probably meant less hassle with the plod checking farmland.

It all depends on what he put on the form :yes:

There isn't anywhere on form 103 (SGC application) for you to put a good reason! Its normally just something your FEO asks during the interview.

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/assets/_fi...s_wMercia_2.pdf

On form 101 (FAC app) Question 19 asks for the 'good reason' for each gun, this isn't on a SGC form. :good:

Mark

EDIT; Beat me to it!! Damn injuns! :good:

Edited by Breastman

Cheers for the feedback I was kicking myself last night after he went.... If only I had left it as Clay Pigeons!!

On the form I had Clay Pigeon shooting and for the purpose of Dog Training, when he was at the house we discussed the Clay pigeon and he was also asking about the training "What will you be shooting?" (Rabbits) so this is why he is now pushing it for land owners consent.

Although if I had left the form as only Clays im sure he would have dug deeper, it’s not hard to miss the kennels full of Springer’s!!

Sorry I meant the form he was filling in... Nothing on the Shotgun application form.

See :good:

I don't make this stuff up....

The Plod will simply NOT go around giving SGC's out to anyone because they can fill in a crappy form and have a cheque for £50, no questions asked.

The question of "Why do you want / need one" will ALWAYS be asked, and taken down on the form used by the FEO - it's here that you must present good reason! as in clay shooting, vermin control (with permission)

What did you put on the application form for "good reason" for owning a Shotgun ?

See :yes:

I don't make this stuff up....

The Plod will simply NOT go around giving SGC's out to anyone because they can fill in a crappy form and have a cheque for £50, no questions asked.

The question of "Why do you want / need one" will ALWAYS be asked, and taken down on the form used by the FEO - it's here that you must present good reason! as in clay shooting, vermin control (with permission)

You'll have to back-pedal harder than that! :good: At least edit your previous posts to back up your story! :good:

Mark

Edited by Breastman

No back pedalling required...

You still need to present good reason! be it on a form or not. As the OP has now found out!

In my defence, the last time I looked at the SGC form was 5 years ago.

Anyway....A lecture in the wording of an internet forum post, from someone who shoots at pop up metal targets of snipers?... Do me a favour :good:

10-4!

Edited by garyb

Its an FEO making it up as he goes along probably new to the job and getting confused between SGC and FAC! he is wanting to check a permission you don't have by the sounds of it which is fairly common with shotguns a lot of people just get invited shooting once in a while. Tell him to do one politely

No back pedalling required...

You still need to present good reason! be it on a form or not. As the OP has now found out!

In my defence, the last time I looked at the SGC form was 5 years ago.

Anyway....A lecture in the wording of an internet forum post, from someone who shoots at pop up metal targets of snipers?... Do me a favour :good:

10-4!

As you've clearly done your research i'll bow to your superior knowledge(!) :good::yes:

Alpha Tango Bravo

Mark

I think we're lucky garyb - the FAO who interviewed myself and my brother (both St Albans area, maybe you as well?) was very relaxed about it all. We'll predominantly be clay shooters but do have access to land to shoot on as well. No need for land permission visits. All in it was a very pleasant experience and took 2 weeks from application completion to certificate hitting the doormat.

When my aunt put in for her shotgun certificate last year she asked if i could be present when the feo came over.Im glad i did go as the feo was asking details about what land shes going to shoot on and i said she would be shooting on my permission he asked the land owners details and land address :blink: and she got her sgc.

Sounds very much like its down to the feo you have visit you as to what they want,as it is not required that you have permission to shoot on land etc to have a sgc as it is your right to own one and it is THEY via references and checks to prove that you are not fit to own one.

Fac is a total different ball game as its the reverse of sgc,YOU have to prove the need to own one and that you have the required land to shoot on.

Oh i have a better one! Feo visited to check an extra safe that i informed them of nearly a year ago. On opening one cabinet she noticed i had some shotgun shells in safe and told me off a bit as they were with the shotguns, told her those were just a few incase a fox was about etc. Yes but we don't want them with the gun ok told her i didn't even need to lock em up legally and had thousands about the place anyway it was only my rifles i couldn't do that with. Just to keep her happy i put them in the unlocked wardrobe at the side of the safes " there we go now all safe"

It always anoys me when someone doesn't know thier own job. The only reason they ask what the shotguns is for is to ***** your caracter which is fair enough but pester a Farmer nope staight onto BASC i think. Perhaps we should all say BASC member wildfowling day permits :blink: Let them check with them it might give them a laugh at HQ

I'm starting to hear of this more and more on the forums and around the clubs. Its creeping enforcement of a non existant law but it is happening. Eventually it will become normal practice and another little bit of our rights will be lost.

I have heard of people being asked to produce membership cards for clay clubs. Gradually the goalposts get moved.

I'd just tell them it's not been finalised with the farner yet so you'd rather just keep the "good reason" as clay shooting for now. Tell them that as there's no need for land checks for a shotgun and you'll be moving over to shooting bunnies as/when you get the farmer sorted and when you've had a bit more practise on the clays.

Now and again they do like to make up their own rules. It's annoying but sometimes fair in a way. So you have a right to own a shotgun - If you don't have good reason do you really think they should just let you have one anyway? I'm not so sure!

Been trying since the beginning of the week to get a hold of the farmer with no luck, hardly surprising at this time of the year!!

On another note though, have just logged into my bank today to see that the cheque has cleared my account... Surely they wouldnt have cashed the cheque without the final paperwork being completed? :good:

Mark

Been trying since the beginning of the week to get a hold of the farmer with no luck, hardly surprising at this time of the year!!

On another note though, have just logged into my bank today to see that the cheque has cleared my account... Surely they wouldnt have cashed the cheque without the final paperwork being completed? :lol:

Mark

Cashing the cheque dosen't mean a thing apart from they now have your money. If your application is refused they will just refund your payment. Good luck with your application :hmm: