onions

p-a-s

I have about the same as you in numbers of onions.

Did you plant them this year or over wintered from last?

I have just planted my winter sets, (A bit early) but keen to get on.

I will also be planting some spring sets next year.

Sweetcorn is still a bit off, carrots are great, spuds where to, still got my main crops in, might dig some up this weekend.

Do you not hang your onions?

I normally hang them to dry I found leaving them on the table makes them rot :angry:

Sweetcorn looks good there too.

Had all sorts in this year

Onions

Brussels are starting to pick up now

cabbage

broccolli

runner beans

dwarf beans

beetroot

peppers

tomato's

cucumbers

corgette

carrot

parsnip

asparagus

and loads of herbs too inc wild garlic :yes:

jacksdad.the sweetcorn was late going in,so its not going to be fatter :angry:

v8landy.i cant take all the credit i grew them from sets,planted about the end of march.i have some seed for starting in the polytunnel in dec.

mick miller.i know the country has gone grow your own crazy but couldnt you get a small plot. :yes:

lord geordie.they are tied up in bundles of 10,but at present the shed is a **** tip,and the poly tunnel is rather damp so for now i put them on the table every morning then just put them in the shed over night.

ronan nee.as a rule i set about 100 sets but not all of them make it,but this year i grew them a different method and i only lost 2 one is still growing these should last us till spring.

ricko,i aint tellin :) the way i grow mine is on a deep bed of well rotted chicken muck with about an inch of top soil covering the muck,this way the roots can gradually get into the chicken muck without them being burned off by the nitrogen in the muck.

Dougy.its my best crop of onions so far,most things have done realy well this year.The purple sprouting broccoli i had been growing for a december crop,was very early we have been eating it for 2 months now,if you want some let me know YES its for free :good:

Thanks for all the comments lads.Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you are going to platt them once they have dried off mate!

I used to grow enough garlic and onions to last through the winter and spring when I had a couple of garden allotments and always platted them. Fortunately my father (Who was a true Frenchman) taught me to platt strings of onilns!

We had a reasonable crop this year - bigger then we have ever had -- anyway I think I have cracked stringing them -- Get some strong string (onions are heavy) about 6ft long tie a loose knot in middle and put neck of first onion in knot and pull tight - loop other end and hang up - with first onion put tail through middle of string and wrap in figure of eight then pull tightish - do next and so on - don't push them down or they end up like mine -- easier than plaiting.

392091161.jpg

Dave