TomV

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
on that point, what about petrol cars? :look:

I was getting 25mpg out of my friend's Mitsubishi RVR SUV type bus out in Cyprus driving a mixture of road and very rough tracks. On purely road journeys sit would easily top 30mpg and that's with a blown EVO engine, auto box, full time 4WD, limited slip diffs and a 0 - 60 time that would leave an Imprezza trailing in its wake.

I usually drive a Freelander 2 tdi diesel manual, but was in a little accident (17 year old hit the front of my car, whilst I was stationary). Driving around I usually got 28-30mpg. The same engine in an automatic only gives about 25mpg.

On a motorway with sensible driving I can cruise over 40mpg!

Grand cherokee V8 4.7litre, if i worried about mpg i wouldnt own it,

But for anyone who is interested i get between 150 to 200 miles on £40 of LPG (65 litres), the 200miles was towing a 1100kg caravan whilst going away a few weeks ago. but around town 150/170 miles max.

Used to think my Disco 3 was a bit juicy - had a petrol DSG SMAX for just over a week now and it's currently doing ~22mpg indicated (which is probably sub 20 in reality). Lovely motor but blimey. Can't order a replacement until it's done 3000miles - if anyone wants to borrow it for a trip (longer the better) let me know!?

I could probably put a driver in it and clock that up in a week :lol: though at that mpg you'd need to supply the fuel as well :yes:

I know it's illegal to clock a motor's mileage down but is it also illegal to clock it up? I have the means to write any odo value I want into the cluster as long as it's bigger than the current value :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
95 plate petrol subaru legacy, the exhaust is blowing a bit and i only get 22 mpg at the moment. Would like to know if the exhaust is makeing a big difference so i can either fix or get rid of it. Anybody know ? :santa:

depends where, if its got a lambda sensor and the leak is in front of that it can cause it to keep over fuelling

depends where, if its got a lambda sensor and the leak is in front of that it can cause it to keep over fuelling

I have got a 300 TDI 1999 do around 34-38mpg Blanked off the egr and also put 500ml of 2 stroke in each time i fill up takes the morning rattle out and also a few more miles out of it

I've done 418 miles in my TD5 auto since I bought it and it's averaged 25.14mpg. Once I've done a few more miles I'll remove the EGR, clean the gunge out of the intercooler and pipework etc and do a cat bypass, these are supposed to increase the MPG and then I'll have the ECU remapped to perk up the performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a result I had this weekend. Travelled up to Nottingham (110 miles) and sat behind a few lorries on the motorway, slipstreaming them, doing around 55-60mph. (Except the speed check)

40MPG

Just got back this eve, motorway was completely empty, so I stuck to 70mph, with the exception of the average speed check between Toddington and Luton.

20MPG.

I am astounded. I saw the Mythbusters do a bit on how to save fuel by driving behind lorries, but I didn't realise I'd actually see a clear result.

(Obviously the fact I was driving slower will also have contributed to the fuel save, but 40MPG in a Defender is pretty good :) )

Edited by Billy.