To Mosque or not to Mosque

Blackbart

I'd let her go and if they're not going to any other places why not take her yourself it will help her understand that people have different views and might help her grades.

You say the visit will be supervised and during daylight so think they'll probably be safe.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing the whole background its difficult to pass comment without revealing personal prejudices - for example has there been any prior discussions with parents about the visit? Has the school, for example, asked for members of other denominations/faiths/religions etc to volunteer their place of worship for use by the school? If the muslim families have been the only ones to offer to arrange something for the children as part of the RE curriculum who is at fault in that case? If the Jewish/Christian/Taoist/Sikh/Buddhist members of the school haven't taken the opportunity to show outsiders their buildings and what goes on there why blame the people who have shown some interest?

Forgot to say she is only 8 year old.

It wasnt a big issue really, untill i spoke to her teacher who said she HAS to go.She learned about jews but didnt have to go to a synagogue.

The school is C of E and i dont see why they have to visit a mosque.Learn about the religion and other religions yes,but dont get the HAVE to visit bit.

Plus the area the mosque is in is not a place i would be over the moon to let my daughter go on any sort of trip.

Surely the reason behind this visit is the Cof E school trying to show "diversity" in their religeous teaching to stop ofstead complaining that they push C of E too much.

i can't see how the school can object if you send her in with a note sdaying that you dont wish for her to attend " on religeous" grounds in the same way you have a right to have your child excluded from sex education.

Get enough of the other parents doing the same and the school will have to supply a teacher to look after them (rather than just getting a secretary to do it ) and won't consider doing this again next year.

( Im starting to think the one thing that the one thing that the inventors of communism got right was the outlawing of religeon-) :good:

The sooner that all the kids in this country aren't being separated by religeous hocus pocus of any sort the sooner we can get back to the task of getting British kids (regardless of their parents place of origin)t o understand that one englishman is worth three frenchmen :good:

( i failed RE GCSE art school(D). On reflection, this was probably as a result of using the word "alleged" too many times in reference to biblical stories my Coursework).

I've got to say that the hostility on here is really quite amazing... A month or two ago, I'd have just said no don't let her go, but after spending a couple of weeks in a mainly Muslim country, both my girlfriend and I (who share and shared similar views) were saying how it's such a shame that the Muslims have all been tarnished with the terrorist brush.

We were well looked after and the fact that the missus was wearing shorts and a small top all holiday was no problem for the Muslims around us. They were unbelievably accepting and not a single person came up to us and said to cover up etc.

At the end of the day, they're not going to make your kid get down and pray. There's enough scrutiny on these types of school trips that they can't afford a big press thing about "KIDS FORCED TO PRAY IN MOSQUE" the only thing you'll find is that your daughter will be asked to cover her head and shoulders, which is something all women must do in a mosque, if they are Muslim or not, out of respect.

At the end of the day, if you want your kid to do well in school, send her. It'll be like refusing to let her go on a biology field trip - it's for a good reason.

Religious Education is a GCSE and I did it and I think most kids do. They're not going to start shoving the Quran down her neck.

RE has a really strong focus on other beliefs, as it's different and something which isn't usually an everyday thing. (Young kids who haven't had an RE class will more than likely know about Adam and Eve, but they won't be able to tell you about other religions and what their rules are)

Intersting theory...

For my kid to do well at school she has to visit a mosque :good:

What is "the good reason" in making her go to a mosque ?

She has learned about the jews and hitler,but as yet i have not had a consent form for her to visit colditz.She has had 2 or 3 visits to church,all optional.She has been to a couple of farm visits,optional.She has done various other trips and as yet not one of them has been compulsory.So why is this one ?

The big question is, are there any children of the muslim or any other faith in your daughters class, and are they going to be forced (as your daughter is) to go to other places of religious worship and be shown how to pray? I very much doubt it and this will constitute racial / religious discrimination, which you should bring issue with. :good:

They should not be allowed to force this upon you and your daughter but let any religous faith, that they think will cause hassle, off the hook.

Front page of the dailys seems about right for this.

I couldsn,t agree more as there seems to be more than a hint of coersion in the schools attitude not just to the kids but the parents as well with this ofsted buisiness!!!! I appreciate we don,t know the full story perhaps but what has been written here is enough to make the whole thing a bit shaky to say the least.

Just for the record I would kick off massively it it were my daughter

Intersting theory...

For my kid to do well at school she has to visit a mosque :good:

She has learned about the jews and hitler,but as yet i have not had a consent form for her to visit colditz.She has had 2 or 3 visits to church,all optional.She has been to a couple of farm visits,optional.She has done various other trips and as yet not one of them has been compulsory.So why is this one ?

we did go to Dacau but certainly not at 8. If she has had church visits etc it does balance it out a little

Intersting theory...

For my kid to do well at school she has to visit a mosque hmm1.gif

Ok, well for example:

If I study biology and I'm 15 years old, I can conduct experiments in the classroom and watch films to learn about, say, the effects of growth of plants in dark and light areas. That's all well and good.

If I go on a biology field trip and get to see 'real world' examples, I can get extra information I might have missed, or another opinion to ask the teacher, say if there's a plant which gets half covered in light or whatever.

Then when my exams and coursework need to be completed, I can rely on the extra information, the sights and smells of the field trip. Plus, as it was a field trip it'll be more memorable, as it's a chance to get away from school, instead of watching a TV or listening to a teacher.

I can remember all of my school science and geography trips, but for the life of me I can't remember what a teacher said to me in school.

Now take all the above and apply it to a RE class. I'm sure you'll agree that you can write a far better story about a Mosque and the Muslim beliefs if you've actually visited somewhere like that.

Edited by Billy.

Ok, well for example:

If I study biology and I'm 15 years old, I can conduct experiments in the classroom and watch films to learn about, say, the effects of growth of plants in dark and light areas. That's all well and good.

If I go on a biology field trip and get to see 'real world' examples, I can get extra information I might have missed, or another opinion to ask the teacher, say if there's a plant which gets half covered in light or whatever.

Then when my exams and coursework need to be completed, I can rely on the extra information, the sights and smells of the field trip. Plus, as it was a field trip it'll be more memorable, as it's a chance to get away from school, instead of watching a TV or listening to a teacher.

I can remember all of my school science and geography trips, but for the life of me I can't remember what a teacher said to me in school.

Now take all the above and apply it to a RE class. I'm sure you'll agree that you can write a far better story about a Mosque and the Muslim beliefs if you've actually visited somewhere like that.

That would be great IF they were visiting places of worship for all religions but the problem here is that they only seem to be visiting the one, a muslim one.

This, if we have all the facts, is just another forced integration ploy. All they are interested in is children accepting the muslim faith as being part and parcel of the UK, which it most definitely is not.

I've got to say that the hostility on here is really quite amazing... A month or two ago, I'd have just said no don't let her go, but after spending a couple of weeks in a mainly Muslim country, both my girlfriend and I (who share and shared similar views) were saying how it's such a shame that the Muslims have all been tarnished with the terrorist brush.

We were well looked after and the fact that the missus was wearing shorts and a small top all holiday was no problem for the Muslims around us. They were unbelievably accepting and not a single person came up to us and said to cover up etc.

At the end of the day, they're not going to make your kid get down and pray. There's enough scrutiny on these types of school trips that they can't afford a big press thing about "KIDS FORCED TO PRAY IN MOSQUE" the only thing you'll find is that your daughter will be asked to cover her head and shoulders, which is something all women must do in a mosque, if they are Muslim or not, out of respect.

She is only 8 and as far as i am aware she will not be asked to cover her head and shoulders.

So you go on holiday to a muslim country and now think all muslims are great,what a simplistic view.

She wont be praying at the mosque as they have already done that at school and if you replace the "pray" with "go" in the big press headline why does that make it ok ?

Yea BUT

C of E Church visit - optional

Mosque visit - compulsary

Plus she does go to a C of E school.

How "compulsory" is this in reality? You said you've been told she'll be marked as absent if she doesn't go, is that it? Is that honestly any different to other school trips whe whole class goes on? I can't help but wondering how much scrutiny the perception that this trip is "compulsory" whilst all others are voluntary, would withstand.

My honest view is that you're being over sensitive to this, sorry if that offends (not my intent) but you asked for our views.

That would be great IF they were visiting places of worship for all religions but the problem here is that they only seem to be visiting the one, a muslim one.

This, if we have all the facts, is just another forced integration ploy. All they are interested in is children accepting the muslim faith as being part and parcel of the UK, which it most definitely is not.

When I studied Geography and went on a field trip, I went to a brickworks which showed the mining and landfill processes. I didn't go on subsequent trips to see;

An ox bow lake, a pond, a river, the bottom of the ocean, a forest, a landslide, a Less Economically Developed Country, a volcano, a fault line, an ice cap, a glacier, a waterfall.... The list can go on and on.

I doubt the school has the time or budget to visit a Synagogue, Monastery, Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Protestant Church, Church of Mormons, Basilica, Mandir, Greek Temple, Gurdwara.... et al. All in one year.

Usually schools run a trip once a year. She's got at least another eight years to see a different place of worship.

Edited by Billy.

She is only 8 and as far as i am aware she will not be asked to cover her head and shoulders.

So you go on holiday to a muslim country and now think all muslims are great,what a simplistic view.

She wont be praying at the mosque as they have already done that at school and if you replace the "pray" with "go" in the big press headline why does that make it ok ?

I actually said that it's a shame that all Muslims are tarnished with the brush of terrorism. I didn't say all Muslims are great and nor can that be interpreted from that statement.

I think personally this trip isnt to encourage children to switch their (if any!) religious beliefs,but to prove that not all Muslims are fanatical terrorists.If it can stop a few of the next generation believing the trashy tabloids that they're all potentially dangerous terrorists then im all for it.

To quote a wise man:

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.

Ok, well for example:

Except that biology is science, religion is a 2000 year old fairy story

...And GCSEs determine if you can go on to do A-Levels and then University.

"Wow, you got 10 A stars and one A. What was the A for?"

"Oh RE: apparently my coursework lacked content on my experience of visiting places of worship."

:good:

Edited by Billy.

Nah, Christianity is about 2000 years old, Islam 1400 and Judaism 3300.

But I'm in agreement about fairy stories.

Back on topic, let her go and have a word with the head teacher about visiting other places or worship/faith.

Edited by debaser

Nah, Christianity is about 2000 years old, Islam 1400 and Judaism 3300.

But I'm in agreement about fairy stories.

Back on topic, let her go and have a word with the head teacher about visiting other places or worship/faith.

yeah like Pigeon Watch :good:

Les :good::wub:

I think it's pretty clear to anybody who is honest with themselves and has anything between their ears that this is a government sop to Islam.

They know half the population are sick to death of Islam, so they're trying to make us all understand what makes them tick.

Their view is that other religions are not causing problems so they'll just be ignored.

We all know it's a load of old cock but at the end of the day it doesn't do any harm. Let her go, she won't come back spouting jihad. :good:

My lad's school did this a few months ago, and lo and behold, his school picked Islam as well, not bothering with Judaism or Hinduism. Funny that :wub:

It's just those government retards thinking we won't notice that they're promoting Hug-a-Muslim Week :good:

My lad was older, at 14. He knew my rather irreverent views on Islam. He turned his nose up about going until I suggested that in my opinion, it had to be better than sitting in a classroom.

He went, quite enjoyed it and hasn't done anything extreme yet :o

When I studied Geography and went on a field trip, I went to a brickworks which showed the mining and landfill processes. I didn't go on subsequent trips to see;

An ox bow lake, a pond, a river, the bottom of the ocean, a forest, a landslide, a Less Economically Developed Country, a volcano, a fault line, an ice cap, a glacier, a waterfall.... The list can go on and on.

I doubt the school has the time or budget to visit a Synagogue, Monastery, Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Protestant Church, Church of Mormons, Basilica, Mandir, Greek Temple, Gurdwara.... et al. All in one year.

Usually schools run a trip once a year. She's got at least another eight years to see a different place of worship.

And it's coincedental that a muslim place of worship happens to be first on the list? You believe what you want to but the facts remain that, out of all religious places of worship, muslim takes priority yet again ! I'll bet what you want that this will be the first AND LAST place they will go, next year it will be trips for some other subject.

not looked at any other posts on this subject, but im going with the "why bother" if it was my child i wouldnt let him go, ******* mosque, whats that all about, i wont say to much but i think its pathetic, call me what your like its probably true, why should we have other religions stuffed down our necks. :good::good: