When to buy a car

Townie

I'm thinking of buying a new car (a couple of years old) in the next twelve months.

Is it right that dealers charge a little less in December becasue everyone is thinking about Christmas and feels short of money than they do in spring when we're all feeling more optimistic?

Off subject a little, but why do they always seem to say 'how much were you looking for?' when you show them your part exchange? You both know they'll look up the price in their little black book.

Like everything else it pays to shop around, I am not sure that prices get cheaper specifically near Christmas, but they do tend to be better in the Winter months.

When they ask you what you want for the vehicle , ask for as high a figure as you can without blushing, they are only going to offer you less, so give them somewhere high to start from.

The little black book is a myth. Glass's Guide gives values for a specific model / year in average condition, with average milaage and average spec'. Every used car is unique so the GG value has to be interpreted to allow for this and regional variation in demand and supply. The GG is only a starting point.

In PX your car is worth whatever it will fetch at auction - the trade price for your unique car, plus an over allowance which is exactly the same as what the dealer would knock off in discount for a no PX deal. You might be offered more if you take out extras or use their finance, but in truth you are just getting a bit of their extra profits back.

Whilst dealers struggle to move new cars in November and December and are keen to deal you have to consider that in January they will have a surfeit of PX vehicles and will be just as willing to clear those.

There is a book called 'The Insider's Guide to Buying a Car' available on Amazon for little money. This explains how the car trade operate and how to maximise your chances of a good deal and avoiding buying a dog.

A used car dealer friend of mine (can you have a car dealer as a friend?) not only looks at Glasses but phones local dealers for that make to see what they're quoting and looks on Auto Trader. The local market governs car deals not the national market.

Vic.

Going by Dom Little - ask how much to change from your car into the new shiny one, what you gain on the old you will lose in the haggle on the new, keeps things tighter?

That is what I did last time.

Their car is always overpriced and yours worth nothing to them, you are better to concentrate on the difference.

Buying my last truck from Kent involved a 2-3 hour stand off before the dealer got bored and wanted to go out for lunch. I had a figure in mind and stuck to it.

That is what I did last time.

Their car is always overpriced and yours worth nothing to them, you are better to concentrate on the difference.

Buying my last truck from Kent involved a 2-3 hour stand off before the dealer got bored and wanted to go out for lunch. I had a figure in mind and stuck to it.

I expected your answer to "When should I buy a car?" would have been every 3-4 weeks :good:???

I sold my wifes car to "we buy any car dot com" and used the money as a cash deposit to drive the price of the new one down. They offered me £150 more than 3 dealers were prepared to give me part ex. With £3500 k in my pocket ( not literally ) I bought her a 09 59 plate 1.6 focus zetec with 12k on the clock for £8250 which is average of about £750 below the dealer guide asking price.

Cash is King when it comes to negotiating in any language whatever you are buying.

If you are thinking of a 4x4 I'd consider waiting until the worst of this coming winter is over. If this one is not as half as bad as last year's then the price of second-hand 4x4's will normalise back to lower levels (Last winter say a marked increase - I know because have been tracking prices on used Discovery 3's). Even if it's just as bad then they are unlikely to go up significantly so little to lose really.

I lived next door to a car dealer - after a year I could guess to within £50 how much he gave for a car - you wouldn't believe how cheap people let their cars go for.- please remember they are totally robbin Ballastraids and the only thing they think about is number one - they don't give a sh-1 -t how much you are in debt but how much you can contribute to their next month abroad. make sure you know your figures before you go.

dave

It also pays to chose where you buy to some extent by the area they are selling in - when I was looking at the Scubby in the spring I was really restricted to the two closest dealers. I was selling a 7 seat VW Touran - the dealer in north Manchester did not blink at an asking price £1500 above what the guy in Cheshire had offered and he gave a better deal on the car (wish I had upped the price more :good: )

D

If you want to see the true price of cars then visit a car auction . you will be suprised at how cheap cars can be bought for . I have bought all my cars and family cars from auction for the last 30 years or so . If you want to buy from auction there are a few tips that you need to know to save you buying a nail .

Harnser .