Fox problem out of control

bruno22rf

Looking for some sound advice guys-part of my work is site maintainance on a school site about 4-5 acres in total.Over the last couple of months foxes have moved in under some of the temporary buildings and are fouling the grass areas so heavily that they are now unusable-some areas are relativly clean but others are covered with faeces.We have been told that we cannot trap them-poison them-shoot them-block up the access holes-gas them-deliberatly release dogs to catch them.Its amazing that these pests are allowed free passage to prevent a school from using its sports facilities.What can we do (the council suggest flashing L.E.D.,s and a substance called "scoot")? Anybody with any serious suggestions please share them with us (im all for popping them with a .22 sub as we can get within 25 yards of them quite easily but i,ve been told that i would be instantly dissmissecd if caught)

Looking for some sound advice guys-part of my work is site maintainance on a school site about 4-5 acres in total.Over the last couple of months foxes have moved in under some of the temporary buildings and are fouling the grass areas so heavily that they are now unusable-some areas are relativly clean but others are covered with faeces.We have been told that we cannot trap them-poison them-shoot them-block up the access holes-gas them-deliberatly release dogs to catch them.Its amazing that these pests are allowed free passage to prevent a school from using its sports facilities.What can we do (the council suggest flashing L.E.D.,s and a substance called "scoot")? Anybody with any serious suggestions please share them with us (im all for popping them with a .22 sub as we can get within 25 yards of them quite easily but i,ve been told that i would be instantly dissmissecd if caught)

Why can't you use a live catcher with the promise to release them somewhere fox friendly :good:

ok first port of call is to get it in writing that the council accepts liability for any disease kids pick up from the fox faeces or indeed if any of them are bitten. They've stopped you controlling them in any sensible manner so they should accept responsibility.

As said the best option is live capture traps to release them well away in the countryside. Possibly on a permission of yours where you can give them a few feet head start and see if they can out run a load of BB's

ok first port of call is to get it in writing that the council accepts liability for any disease kids pick up from the fox faeces or indeed if any of them are bitten. They've stopped you controlling them in any sensible manner so they should accept responsibility.

As said the best option is live capture traps to release them well away in the countryside. Possibly on a permission of yours where you can give them a few feet head start and see if they can out run a load of BB's

I would second that!!! and perhaps a call to the press about it......

atb

The councils response to live catching and release is a log the lines of "this practise is now seen as cruel as the territorial nature of the fox leaves the animal confused and unlikly to survive" following advice fron the RSPCA the council will no longer allow such practice on their land.We even had the council send out a pest control firm to initially identify the culprits (has to be done as a matter of course for all vermin related problems) and the operator said that urban foxes seem to have more protection than the royals.

lol i would advise disposing of them in the cage. My gramp was telling me that he caught this fox he had been after for a while and decided to do the same thing, and he missed it :good:

Councils lunacy aside what have the school governors to say about it? (assuming they actually know about it in the first place). Their support on the issue could be very useful should it come to involving the HSE and seeking a Risk Assessment. Who knows a few of them might just relish the chance to flex their muscles and tackle the issue without you initially having to risk working relationship.

Leptospirosis(Weils disease),Mange (Scabies)in humans,Hepatitus we've lost three terriers to this after fox encounters,Canis Toxicara can cause blindness all carried by foxes.Tell the council you need a Risk Assement done and get H&E involved see how funny it is then :good:

Thats the winner, additionally get them to disclose who their insurers are so you can contact them to clarify exactly what their insurance will cover in the event of disease or bite...

Leptospirosis(Weils disease),Mange (Scabies)in humans,Hepatitus we've lost three terriers to this after fox encounters,Canis Toxicara can cause blindness all carried by foxes.Tell the council you need a Risk Assement done and get H&E involved see how funny it is then :good:

Toxicara is a pretty powerful arguement to invoke on a school. The other ones as well.

Leptospirosis from fox, thats a new one to me, I was not aware of that! :)

Thanks for the advice so far-the site manager is looking for written confirmation that foxes carry such diseases and will then forward them to the council and the board of governers.Walked round the back of the school last night and the blighters were yapping to each other constantly-must have been at least 5 out there if not more.Most of the droppings seem to be purple in colour and the sloes that we have tons of seem to be rare on the lower branches-would they eat them? ( i know they are eating the Rose Hips cos you can see them in the droppings)

Write to the Sun, their sensationalist ******** can do something useful for a change. Remember the fox-in-bedroom story? had the desired effect on people, and your council will change their tune PDQ when the Sun says they're endangering human safety for some mangy little fox!

As for your council, bunch of tree-hugging fluffy-bunnyite idiots. Do think publicity is a good idea, your constituents might vote somewhere else next time!