.22 hornet as a fox calibre

aj85

Maybe I missed something...but why not use a cage trap?

???

cage trap has already been tried on the land but the sight of plump hens trotting about is more enticing to charlie than a dead rabbit in a trap.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you're a bit quicker, you may not miss the 1 in 8 T3 223 Varmint in pristine condition with less than 550 rounds down, complete with moderator and which just loves 50gr which may well appear in the for sale section shortly. :hmm:

Cheers"

Haven't seen anything yet :drool:

"Great, now you come along with a sensible suggestion ???

Two things, you need to be able to check the trap at least daily, and should do it more often.

More importantly, where's the fun in that :lol:

Neil."

Well....you could dig a pit with sharpened sticks ect...that would keep me occupied for a wee while :D

"cage trap has already been tried on the land but the sight of plump hens trotting about is more enticing to charlie than a dead rabbit in a trap."

hmm...fingers crossed the FAC goes through then :lol:

Something I've seen put to good use in the past is a hole in the chicken pen fence with a cage trap securely fitted in it. Foxy sees the tunnel as a potential entrance and walks right in there. :blink:

hmm sounds a good idea... but what then? shotgun?

have called the feo today and the land has not come up on their records as having been previously checked so gonna have to either work my charm on the landowner (after all its him who wants me to shoot the foxes) or go down the shotgun route?

Maybe I missed something...but why not use a cage trap?

:blink:

Cage traps tend to be less effective in the more rural environments, as the foxes tend to have more fear of man made stuctures- no knoledge of this venue other than its 16 acres. At the end of the day there are many ways of killing charlie but a well aimed bullet does tend to get the job done :look:

• 3 months later...

You recon he will get CF on 16 acre? you got shotgun already?If you aint I would try go for s/c first as its highly likely you will get refused if you have not had and lisence at all.I would say go for a rim fire or shotgun first.I dont know what youve got or any thing but I do know where we live you have no chance of CF if you aint even owned a s/c.Try for both as its cheaper.I would try for any shotgun/RF and CF see what happens.

I know a lad whos had S.C and rimmy,has muntjac and fox on his land but get refused CF.

Not trying no be negative,just trying to help.oh and he has a huge bit of land which another lad has 308 on.

16 acre for 17hmr is surely guaranteed a no but you never know.

You should try it for rabbit and use it on fox as it is more then capable.

If its a real problem at the minute give me a pm and we will sort charlie out ;-)

Edited by HEAD SHOT NO1

its nothing to do with size of land. if you had 16 acres of hilly ground with lots of safe shots say from one hillside onto the other. that would pass easy compared to 100 acres of flat land with no back stops. if you can get a 223 then go for it.

least then if you get more land where you do need the extra power of the 223 your sorted. buy once is better then swapping later down the line.

if you can only get hornet. as a gun though the hornet is a little cracker. 35 grain vmax and 1/2 inch or under groups is superb with reloads. it doesnt use much powder. got good range for a little bullet weight / powder charge etc. and not that loud some really cheap rifles out there.

barrel life is nothing to worry about with them. just look after it. and it will be trouble free

One other thing to take into account is... if its your 1st CF you may need to have a Mentor

I feel for you if the farmer doe's not want the police to come around and clear the land for FAC ..maybe..google earth could be an option ?

Ive personaly gone for a 222 for the Fox

good luck with what ever route you choose

ps...The Hornet would be perfect for the size land you shoot on

Edited by jasper3

The way I see it you have a number of options.

Like most on here, I would say that WMR (putting the FLO's views to one side for a moment) would be the ideal tool for the job. It may be worth discussing this with your FLO/FEO along those lines. Point out to them that there is no minimum legal calibre for fox, involve BASC if you feel strongly enough.

If you choose to go along with them and apply for a small centrefire, have a ring round your local gun dealers and see which of them you can easily get ammo for and how much it's going to cost you. As well as the Hornet, you could ask about availability of .17Rem, .17 Fireball and .204 (although personally I'd avoid the .17Rem).

you can kill a fox clean up to 125 yrds with a .22 rimfire with stingers but otherwise 22 hornet is a great calibre for foxes

You're kidding right?! Try half that to be sensible! :sly:

When I trap them I use a .22lr. All my rifles are conditioned for Fox but unless I'm virtually on top of them I use the Hornet or larger. I don't do lucky shots - any animal deserves a decent send off no matter how much of a problem they are.

lucky shots has nothing to do with it if you zerod your rirle to the correct distance and you shoot in the right place luck has nothing to do with it if you have to rely on luck to shoot then you shoudlnt be shooting a rifle simple as!!! rimfire rifle is capabale of good clean kills even at 120 yrds with the right bullet choices but majority of shots with be taken at shorter distance as you should be usimg your field craft to draw the fox into you people who want to shot foxes at 2 300 yrds is simply ridculous how do you know thats a fox clearly at that distance and were to aim and shoot thats lucky distances!!!!

lucky shots has nothing to do with it if you zerod your rirle to the correct distance and you shoot in the right place luck has nothing to do with it if you have to rely on luck to shoot then you shoudlnt be shooting a rifle simple as!!! rimfire rifle is capabale of good clean kills even at 120 yrds with the right bullet choices but majority of shots with be taken at shorter distance as you should be usimg your field craft to draw the fox into you people who want to shot foxes at 2 300 yrds is simply ridculous how do you know thats a fox clearly at that distance and were to aim and shoot thats lucky distances!!!!

120 yards with stingers :hmm: a super sonic round which drops well below the speed of sound in that distance and you reckon that it's accurate enough to cleanly kill foxes consistently at 120 yards

utter tosh

i can feel a challenge coming on, 120 yard .22 rimmy clover leafs :lol:

Edited by Paul223

Hi,

I really, really hope that you're talking WMR with the 40gr WRS round at 362ft/lbs ME and 160ft/lbs at the 120yds. Even then, you're right on the limits.

To be honest, I was going to say a bit more but I'm gobsmacked and don't know what to say other than I really can't believe that you think that what you said is valid.

Cheers

I've been out, what did I miss?

Oo-er, hang on while I grab some popcorn.

ferretingell,

Unless you agree with everyone else on here you will be seen as an outsider.

There is enough people on here taking potshots at foxes at 200/300 yards or just at eyes in the lamp, that's why they need the larger calibre. Like shooting rabbits with .243's.

Personally go for the largest calibre possible, you can get it cleared for deer, rather than having to buy another rifle. A projectile in the right place doesn't matter whether it is .22 hornet or .308 will kill a fox and you can't get deader than dead. :lol:

ferretingell,

There is enough people on here taking potshots at foxes at 200/300 yards or just at eyes in the lamp, that's why they need the larger calibre. Like shooting rabbits with .243's.

Personally go for the largest calibre possible, you can get it cleared for deer, rather than having to buy another rifle. A projectile in the right place doesn't matter whether it is .22 hornet or .308 will kill a fox and you can't get deader than dead. :lol:

Hi,

Must say I have a degree of empathy with what you say.

However, your last sentence seems to be missing the point. Whereas it is perfectly valid, neither of those rounds are rimfire which ferrtingell is telling us will consistantly kill a fox cleanly at 125 yards. Is that what you're telling us too?

Or, possibly, are you taking the p..?

Cheers

Edit: Typo

Edited by wymberley

ferretingell,

Ritchie are you suggesting a .22lr is a good calibre to use at 120 yards? perhaps the reason people are having a go is some of us actually go out shooting and have enough experience to know what you can do and what you shouldn't do.

As for 200 or 300 yards shots with a decent lightforce and optics you can positively ID foxes at 200 yards no problem and some of the longer shots will be at foxes that have run from closer so were ID'd and then stopped. Without a filter on it is easy to ID foxes at night at surprisingly long range

iam new to rim fire only got ticket last year have tried loads of different types of ammo to see which was best and the stingers would not group any tighter than 3inch at 75 yards in my cz to risky if you ask me (for what its worth) also Beds police dont allow anything smaller than .22 cf

colin

ferretingell,

OUTSIDER?? no inexperienced yes

pot shots! where have you read that then?

may be you'd like to join ferretingell in a 120yard .22 rimfire shoot off, as i've already said i'm expecting clover leaf groups